Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It might feel better on the surface but Hank gets absolutely no benefit from retiring. If I were to bet on his pride winning out, I think I'd wager on his pride having him convinced he can still play as opposed to wanting to end it on his terms. He's already lost control over that narrative. Igor is the guy. There's no passing of the torch or battle for the job. Hank's game took a nose-dive and the heir nabbed his crown without any fight whatsoever.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Telemedicine, I’ve sent him my scans and I’m getting a second opinion from him. It’s a rare thing called pulsatile tinnitus (hearing whooshing sound of turbulent blood flow in your head, along with chronic headaches) so many doctors don’t know much about it, but it is often caused by life-threatening vascular conditions in the brain. The doctors here basically told me because I’m young & fit it would be a waste of time to do any scans, I had to be a pain in their butt and repeatedly go to ER whining to finally get them to do anything. They tried saying the scans are fine but I’ve read stories of many people being told this only for this doctor to find the cause. So I’ll have answers of some sort tomorrow, if I require surgery I’ll definitely be making the trip to NYC, hopefully we somehow have normal hockey back by then and I can catch a Rangers game. :laugh: But anyways I’m so excited and I’m almost in tears!

Best of luck--when your going though any kind of medical issues the unknown is the worst--it's very stressful and only complicates matters.

Been there myself over the past few years. The best news is when you know what the issue is ( hopefully it's good news ) and if needed how to fix it.

Stay strong.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I remember everyone pegging him at 60-70 for his rookie season lol, not gonna lie if he gets under 55 in his sophmore year I’ll start thinking he’s a bit of a disapoitment.
You think that a 30 or so point improvement is realistic? How many such have you seen? Have you seen what Barkov did in his second year? A kid that will not be 20 until February won't put up first line production numbers and he's a disappointment?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Kakko plays with Panarin or Zibanejad next year he’ll get close to 50 no doubt

Now whether or not our big brain coach puts him in that position is a different story
All he has to do is outplay the competition. That should be easy enough, right? Pretty sure that is all the big brain will be looking at. Or are you advocating simply handing him a spot?

Again, expecting that much of a jump is just setting yourself up for sheer disappointment.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What no one talks about is that he probably would have had 40 points if he was kept on that first power play. I think the power play could be his bread and butter because he has the space to move around and use his body like he did on the bigger ice. I pray to god, Quinn better not go all galaxy brain and play Ryan Strome on the first power play in his spot. He better get that shot now. He’s earned it.
When exactly did Kakko earn anything? Other than what was given to him, that is?

The Rangers had a top-5 power play last year. I doubt that Quinn will do anything to mess with that. And, frankly, rightly so. IF things go wrong and IF Kakko shows that he deserves the opportunity, then I am sure he will get it. Until, I highly doubt that any head coach would try to fix what isn't broken.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Sorry but that’s not how this works. His job is to develop our younger players. Kakko took his reps this year, and with his play during playins, he deserves it.

You don’t choose for Ryan Strome over Kappo Kakko. What did Ryan Strome do to earn it? Play on Panarins wing and suckle on his tit.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The PP would be better with a LH shot in Stomes spot.

I wouldn't say that hes bad on the PP, I think hes quite good in fact. but why not take the measures to take a strong unit and make it even stronger? This is actually a spot I can see Lafreniere sliding into more so than Kakko.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I'm not suggesting that Shattenkirk was good here, but had 44 points in 46 games before getting hurt in 17-18. Claiming Yandle brought offensive punch is odd — since Yandle never did that here.

Yandle, for some reason, is one of the few guys who seemingly never gets killed around here.
It’s funny because Yandle was acquired to do just that and did, oh, and from the second PP unit, too. While Shattenkirk proved to be a waste of money.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
Sorry but that’s not how this works. His job is to develop our younger players. Kakko took his reps this year, and with his play during playins, he deserves it.

You don’t choose for Ryan Strome over Kappo Kakko. What did Ryan Strome do to earn it? Play on Panarins wing and suckle on his tit.
Couldn't agree with you more

All they did with David Quinn initially was preach Development Development Development!

Look, Panarin Zib Kreider...they're veteran professionals...they know what to do.
Hus job is to develop. PERIOD. Now theyee switching the narrative because the Rangers are kinda good now?
Priority is developing your young stars so they become what they should.

I still think he should've spentt at least 2 or 3 months in Hartford but that's gone now. Nothing will change my mind on that. He needed a little time to dominate and that would've done wonders for him
You could see the frustration leaving his body when he scored his second goal I believe. The one where he roared after. Tnat was a kid that understandably was putting a lot of pressure on himself.
Management was wrong here. Even a month in Hartford JUST to acclimate even if he was ready for the big club. Ida played it safe. But oh well.

Quinn's gotta do better with him

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
there is more to player development than just giving them more ice time...it feels like just yesterday that I was reading here how quinn was terrible at developing tony deangelo cause he wasn't playing him enough...how'd that work out?

the goal isn't to get instant stats to make fantasy fans excited. the goal is to build a team that can contend for the cup. people need patience.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Kakko might have scored 6 or 7 more points all year with Panarin or Zibs as semi regular linemates because he was perpetually behind the play both physically and mentally.

Let's see how he goes this year. He can improve a lot by being decisive but that'll only get you so far. He's gotta process the game better, that's where the elite numbers come from. We'll see.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Couldn't agree with you more

All they did with David Quinn initially was preach Development Development Development!

Look, Panarin Zib Kreider...they're veteran professionals...they know what to do.
Hus job is to develop. PERIOD. Now theyee switching the narrative because the Rangers are kinda good now?

I still think he should've spentt at least 2 or 3 months in Hartford but that's gone now. Nothing will change my mind on that. He needed a little time to dominate and that would've done wonders for him
You could see the frustration leaving his body when he scored his second goal I believe. The one where he roared after. Tnat was a kid that understandably was putting a lot of pressure on himself.
Management was wrong here. Even a month in Hartford JUST to acclimate even if he was ready for the big club. Ida played it safe. But oh well.

Its been one year and he was better in the post season than he was at the start so whats the problem?

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Lafreniere is going to take that right halfboards spot eventually. Although I expect to see Strome there for the start of the season and maybe beyond.
Kakko should be teeing up one timers from there.
Doesn't Laf play the left side on the PP? I thought I've seen a bunch of highlights of him scoring on the left side after getting the puck near the blue line.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Joe Thornton and Eric Staal played 4th line their rookie years, and traditional 4th line minutes. But the narrative that Strome and Quinn conspired to steal Kakko's time and points keeps getting pushed. Strome simultaneously sucks but succeeded when given an opportunity. The young guys didn't seize their opportunities, and yes, they got chances. Their time will come. If Chytil or Kakko flame out of the league it won't be because Ryan Strome got more minutes with Panarin.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Actually that is exactly how it works. On the list of what is Quinn's job description is also to try to win games. One of the way to win games is to have a top PP. One of the ways to keep a PP as a top PP is continuity.

Kakko's 3 games in the playoffs are not the barometer nor are they going to be seen as such by the coaching staff.
You don’t choose for Ryan Strome over Kappo Kakko.
If you are going to go this route, why not gripe about Adam Fox or Buchnevich? And while you are at it, start complaining about Lafreniere and Kreider.
What did Ryan Strome do to earn it? Play on Panarins wing and suckle on his tit.
#Ryan Strome Derangement Syndrome
#Anyone can do it

Reactions: pld459666

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Sorry this is not how it works. Giving prospects responsibilities which they didn't earn or not ready for is a recipe for ruining their development.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
The PP would be better with a LH shot in Stomes spot.

I wouldn't say that hes bad on the PP, I think hes quite good in fact. but why not take the measures to take a strong unit and make it even stronger? This is actually a spot I can see Lafreniere sliding into more so than Kakko.
PP1 = Kreider in front of net, Mika and Kakko on either side, Tony at the point, Buch/Strome

PP2 = Chytil in front of net, Panarin and Laf on either side, Fox at the point, Buch/Strome

Easy way to balance out even though it will never happen. They will likely load up PP1 with Mika, Panarin, Kreider, Strome/Laf and Tony then PP2 with Kakko, Buch, Fox, Strome/Laf, Chytil. Only problem with that is the amount of R on PP1 and the amount of L on PP2.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

You don't develop a player by giving him stuff he hasn't earned.

Quinn also has a responsibility to all of the other players on the team who, you know, want to win.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
PP1 = Kreider in front of net, Mika and Kakko on either side, Tony at the point, Buch/Strome

PP2 = Chytil in front of net, Panarin and Laf on either side, Fox at the point, Buch/Strome

Easy way to balance out even though it will never happen. They will likely load up PP1 with Mika, Panarin, Kreider, Strome/Laf and Tony then PP2 with Kakko, Buch, Fox, Strome/Laf, Chytil. Only problem with that is the amount of R on PP1 and the amount of L on PP2.

This is why I don't love Strome on PP 1. Not only is he the least important piece to that unit's success, his spot, if taken by a lefty opens up the opportunity for the 1T.

Throwing him on the 2nd unit would provide more handedness balance as well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buchnevich, DeAngelo, Fox, Lindgren.

His job is to also try to win games. As is the case with every single NHL coach.
Where is the evidence that he is not developing? Or is the view that development also simply hands out spots to kids that have not earned it?
By doing what?

Reactions: Leetch3

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I JUST HAD MY APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR FROM NYC AND I AM GOING TO LIVE!!!! He looked over all my scans and said that there are absolutely no abnormalities with my blood vessels or brain, he thinks my symptoms are most likely caused by my allergies, some sort of nutrition deficiency or a temporary issue with a small muscle around my ears or neck. He thinks it will go away on it’s own, he suggested I get one more test done (MRA with contrast) but it’s only looking for very small & minor things because the scans I’ve done did not pick up anything. He was awesome and didn’t even charge me anything either. One of the best days of my life!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I JUST HAD MY APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR FROM NYC AND I AM GOING TO LIVE!!!! He looked over all my scans and said that there are absolutely no abnormalities with my blood vessels or brain, he thinks my symptoms are most likely caused by my allergies, some sort of nutrition deficiency or a temporary issue with a small muscle around my ears or neck. He thinks it will go away on it’s own, he suggested I get one more test done (MRA with contrast) but it’s only looking for very small & minor things because the scans I’ve done did not pick up anything. He was awesome and didn’t even charge me anything either. One of the best days of my life!
Congrats. Great news!

Reactions: EdJovanovski

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Good news!

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad