Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No, seriously- explain to me how a vet on the last year of his last big contract no matter what is coerced into voluntarily foregoing > $5 million dollars by being forced to watch NHL games in a suit every night in one of the best seats in the house?

It’s 4.5m after the signing bonus is paid. What will the NHL do, play half a season? Will NHL players get 100% of their contract with up to the capped escrow of 20% being reduced from it? What is left, 3.6m?

How much can he make in the front-office? 500k? I am just dreaming, but... ;)

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Well if Strome's only value is a second round pick, then I am ok keeping him on a short term deal. I would let him walk for nothing before giving him a long term deal, especially if it required a NTC.

But again, if Kapanen just fetched 15 overall, I bet Strome's value is more than a second round pick.

The value might be there but teams picking in the late first aren’t going to be able to afford signing Strome so it’s not likely a fit... likewise, really high 2nds are likely to be rebuilding clubs.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I doubt Strome would get more than a 3rd. Kapanen has an edge to his game. He's great in the corners and can put up 35-40 points on a 3rd line. Strome is 3 years older and has had way too many inconsistent years. I don't think teams believe he is a 50+ point guy and the only reason he did that last year was because he played with Panarin. If Edmonton was smart which they aren't they would trade back like I said in the deal I proposed where they go after Buchnevich, give up a McLeod and switch first round picks. However, as we know Edmonton is one of the dumbest teams in sports. So, the Rangers probably will try to move up 5-7 spots. Maybe with Montreal, Chicago or Calgary. I don't see the Rangers wanting to stay in the 20's. I suspect they will move up or trade back a little and pick up a second.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I got Kakko pegged for points somewhere in the 40s, but with more goals than assists

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
@Avery16 is not wrong.

Hanks not gonna retire with 5.5 sitting next to him in the press box.

Thats a pretty long reach to think he would.

And, if there's a class that would teach such a move, I'd suggest never take that course.

"How to forfeit 5.5 Million" presented by Professor Dumbass
I went over it in a post a while ago, it's not as cut and dry as that. NY taxes are high, federal taxes, agent fees, escrow. Lundqvist will probably clear about $2m, maybe even $1.5m. Manhattan expenses are astronomical. He could live in Sweden for cheaper and play for Frolunda. He would be leaving a little bit on the table.

Does he still have endorsements here like the shampoo thing? I don't know, something to consider. He just came back for the kids' school, so maybe they are committed to this season anyway and Sweden is out. But if he gets bought out, he can't play here while they go to school here.

I don't think he retires, personally. He wouldn't have brought the family back if he was done. I just don't think the difference of a million towards his massive career earnings is what is bringing him back.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
His salary is 5.5, that's what he is giving up

He has already been paid his 1 mil signing bonus. If he retires, I believe the Rangers can try to recoup that, but I doubt they would.

Escrow is capped at 20% this year and given the state of things, every player is going to lose 20% of their pay to escrow. So the 4.5 mil that Hank is still owed will become 3.6 mil. I don't know how much that is after taxes, but other players have given up as much or more, so can we please stop acting like there is no chance that a player who has already made 10s of millions of dollars in his career will retire and give up a few million?

Klein was owed 2.75 mil when he retired and, IIRC (CapFriendly doesn't have the contract details), Naslund was owed 4 mil. Klein hadn't made anywhere near as much as Hank, yet he gave up the money.

Like Dutch said, he has come back to NY, so he probably isn't thinking about retirement, but the money is probably on the lower end of the reasons why.

Reactions: leetch99

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
He has already been paid his 1 mil signing bonus. If he retires, I believe the Rangers can try to recoup that, but I doubt they would.

Escrow is capped at 20% this year and given the state of things, every player is going to lose 20% of their pay to escrow. So the 4.5 mil that Hank is still owed will become 3.6 mil. I don't know how much that is after taxes, but other players have given up as much or more, so can we please stop acting like there is no chance that a player who has already made 10s of millions of dollars in his career will retire and give up a few million?

Klein was owed 2.75 mil when he retired and, IIRC (CapFriendly doesn't have the contract details), Naslund was owed 4 mil. Klein hadn't made anywhere near as much as Hank, yet he gave up the money.

Like Dutch said, he has come back to NY, so he probably isn't thinking about retirement, but the money is probably on the lower end of the reasons why.
I dont know if Klein is a great comparison. He was 31 and had health issues. Lundqvist at 37 still beat out his only competition, Georgiev, to start in the playoff qualifying round.

Naslund is pretty inexplicable. I know he's said it had nothing to do with Tortorella, but he was still producing at a high level when he walked away at 35. He only played part of one season in MODO before permanently hanging them up. According to interviews, he just "felt it was time". Maybe there were personal reasons for Naslund that dont apply to Hank.

I dont think the tax situation is nearly as draconian as Dutch is making it to be. I think Hank would forego millions by retiring. I do think that it is not his only motivation, he is a competitive player. I dont think press-boxing him is a responsible or practical tactic for the team to take, and I doubt it would coerce him into anything.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I dont think press-boxing him is a responsible or practical tactic for the team to take, and I doubt it would coerce him into anything.

I completely agree with this and there's no way the Rangers do it. There's no chance we are carrying 3 goalies going into next season.

I think the most likely scenario is that Hank gets bought out, but if we get a good offer for Georgiev and we find other ways to clear cap, I wouldn't be surprised if Hank plays out his final year as the backup.

Reactions: jas

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
They're not mutually exclusive.

they are not...but at the same time, Kakko putting up points doesn't necessarily mean he's a better player and making the team better. we could have easily put him with mika or panarin last year getting tons of minutes and his #s would be alot better on paper. but does that make him actually better? maybe...hopefully we'll find out next year

Reactions: bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
@Avery16 is not wrong.

Hanks not gonna retire with 5.5 sitting next to him in the press box.

Thats a pretty long reach to think he would.

And, if there's a class that would teach such a move, I'd suggest never take that course.

"How to forfeit 5.5 Million" presented by Professor Dumbass

let’s clarify this for anyone and everyone. Sitting in street clothes is like the Rangers backup goalies were for 18 out of the last 19 games. This action is not forfeiting any money. Maybe we should have audios being people are reading and responding to messages not posted. Maybe less ambiguity is trolling these days

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The real question is why would Lundqvist retire now instead of waiting to see if the Rangers buy him out and then retiring after? There is no reason for him not to wait.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
assuming that bonuses were paid on 7/1 like normal, Hank already was paid $1 mil so there is $4.5 mil left as a base salary minus taxes, agent fees, escrow etc

but we should also keep in mind that Hank has made $100+ mil in salary (before taxes, etc) during his career and that doesn't even touch his $$ from endorsements. none of us can even imagine walking away from that kind of $$ because we don't have that kind of $$. I'd imagine that your view of a couple mil changes when you have the $$ hank has. I'm not saying that he'll walk away, just that we really can't see it from his point of view cause we aren't in that situation sadly

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ok, a few things:

1) Montreal is incapable of developing their own backup goalie. Bad.

2) Montreal is spending $15M on goaltending (while remaining one of the league’s worst finishers). Bad.

3) Montreal is spending $4.5M on their backup goalie. Bad.

4) Montreal traded draft picks (when they should probably have started rebuilding like 5 years ago) for a cap dump. Bad.

It may not directly f*** their shit up but it’s just not a good look. Makes it seem like management doesn’t know what they’re doing.

I thought that has been clear for years now :laugh:

Reactions: NYR Viper

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The real question is why would Lundqvist retire now instead of waiting to see if the Rangers buy him out and then retiring after? There is no reason for him not to wait.

his reasoning would be pride wanting to go out on his 'own terms' rather than being remembered for his career buying ended by a buyout and being booted out the door. he doesn't need the $$. again not saying he will do it, but I don't agree that there is no reason.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
his reasoning would be pride wanting to go out on his 'own terms' rather than being remembered for his career buying ended by a buyout and being booted out the door. he doesn't need the $$. again not saying he will do it, but I don't agree that there is no reason.

Not sure if being essentially forced to retire to avoid a buyout and a three goalie system is exactly going out on his own terms. It's the same thing. I think he should probably be expected to do what is best for himself which is planning to be the backup and if he is bought out either retiring or looking to sign elsewhere if he still wants to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad