Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
Buchnevich, DeAngelo, Fox, Lindgren.

His job is to also try to win games. As is the case with every single NHL coach.

Where is the evidence that he is not developing? Or is the view that development also simply hands out spots to kids that have not earned it?

By doing what?
Well the play in round showed some time away at home with family obviously helped him. I believe a huge part of it was that mentally ge was overwhelmed. Who wouldnt be?
My initial gripe was that he started with the big club. Mistake.

Then, playing with bottom 6 players with limited minutes. Who's gonna develop with that? This whole earn it thing is applicable in some situations and not in others.
He needs top6 players and minutes all next season.
I know it sou ds like "well you say hes not developing but wanna give him top 6 minutes"
Yea because there's only so much you can do with bottom 6 players.
Not many offensive opportunity on the bottom 6.
Thrn HE would have to carry the line which he cant do yet.

How Quinn can do better? Not benching him after a bad penalty after he scored a goal. Idc that was horrendous. Pull him aside or speak at intermission.
Dont ruin his momentum. That was Dumb

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well the play in round showed some time away at home with family obviously helped him. I believe a huge part of it was that mentally ge was overwhelmed. Who wouldnt be?
My initial gripe was that he started with the big club. Mistake.
You would need to take that up with both Quinn and Gorton. They made the choice that they thought would be best for him and the club.
Then, playing with bottom 6 players with limited minutes. Who's gonna develop with that? This whole earn it thing is applicable in some situations and not in others.
So you are advocating for selectively earning playing time and being selective about accountability? Who is the arbiter of this?
He needs top6 players and minutes all next season
Then let him earn it. He is going to get a golden opportunity in camp. All he needs to do is 1) outplay the competition and 2) not slow down what will more than likely be the Panarin Strome combination
Yea because there's only so much you can do with bottom 6 players.
Plenty of Hall of Fame players started that way. Kakko is hardly special.
Not many offensive opportunity on the bottom 6.
Thrn HE would have to carry the line which he cant do yet.
More than enough opportunities on the third line. And if he cannot hold his own on the third line, what is he going to do against much tougher competition that comes with playing with Panarin?
How Quinn can do better? Not benching him after a bad penalty after he scored a goal. Idc that was horrendous. Pull him aside or speak at intermission.
Dont ruin his momentum. That was Dumb
So Quinn can do better by not holding him accountable and letting him get away with things that other players are not allowed to get away with (also known as entitlement)? And what a fantastic message that would send to the rest of the team. Yeah, I can see where that would work wonders for a kid who needs to know how to play in the top professional league in the world.

Reactions: Thirty One

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I JUST HAD MY APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR FROM NYC AND I AM GOING TO LIVE!!!! He looked over all my scans and said that there are absolutely no abnormalities with my blood vessels or brain, he thinks my symptoms are most likely caused by my allergies, some sort of nutrition deficiency or a temporary issue with a small muscle around my ears or neck. He thinks it will go away on it’s own, he suggested I get one more test done (MRA with contrast) but it’s only looking for very small & minor things because the scans I’ve done did not pick up anything. He was awesome and didn’t even charge me anything either. One of the best days of my life!

A NYC doctor who didn't charge anything?

Send him my way! That's a rare one.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I JUST HAD MY APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR FROM NYC AND I AM GOING TO LIVE!!!! He looked over all my scans and said that there are absolutely no abnormalities with my blood vessels or brain, he thinks my symptoms are most likely caused by my allergies, some sort of nutrition deficiency or a temporary issue with a small muscle around my ears or neck. He thinks it will go away on it’s own, he suggested I get one more test done (MRA with contrast) but it’s only looking for very small & minor things because the scans I’ve done did not pick up anything. He was awesome and didn’t even charge me anything either. One of the best days of my life!

Congratulations. Nice to hear.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Happy to hear your health is in good order, more importantly what do we offer our RFAs?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

There are days when I hate people, then there are days that you hear about things like this...

Congrats man, very happy for you

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Off topic and might be good for a thread, but if you grew up going to Action Park like me, there’s a new documentary on HBO Max called Class Action Park. Watched the trailers and looks amazing. Might be fun to trade AP stories.
I actually saw it. I remember AP very well. There was no Jersey Summer without a trip there. It was like a right of passage. The documentary was pretty crazy.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Then, playing with bottom 6 players with limited minutes. Who's gonna develop with that?

There are a ton of things that he can learn that don't require playing in the top 6. Like for instance, what the hell he's supposed to be doing without the puck.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Off topic and might be good for a thread, but if you grew up going to Action Park like me, there’s a new documentary on HBO Max called Class Action Park. Watched the trailers and looks amazing. Might be fun to trade AP stories.

Just do a search for ‘Action Park’ on YouTube and go to town.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
That’s good to hear.

Your doctor didn’t happen to be Trouba’s wife?

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Joe Thornton and Eric Staal played 4th line their rookie years, and traditional 4th line minutes. But the narrative that Strome and Quinn conspired to steal Kakko's time and points keeps getting pushed. Strome simultaneously sucks but succeeded when given an opportunity. The young guys didn't seize their opportunities, and yes, they got chances. Their time will come. If Chytil or Kakko flame out of the league it won't be because Ryan Strome got more minutes with Panarin.
2 Kids and a goat

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and the crusty shell of Brett Hull.

Now, Detroit had a very good team to insulate that line, but, they were basically allowed to devolpe at their own pace, with each other, and the coach gave them ice time that were beneficial situations.

I'd say that worked out well

Reactions: Leetch3

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
sure but everyone has to use their PP2 sometimes. Some 2nd units around the league are absolutely tragic.

Do they?

In four games here were the Oilers forwards 5v4 TOI in the playoffs:

Draisaitl: 24:58
McDavid: 24:31
RNH: 23:49
Chiasson: 15:46
Neal 10:36 (Neal/Chiasson flip flopped between the PP1 net front role)
Haas 1:07

Same thing in the regular season. The fifth guy was Yamamoto at 53 seconds/game. The PP1 consisting of 4 of the 5 others was 3+ mins. It was the best PP in the league.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Are we still going to pretend that there’s not a potential issue with how Quinn handles ice time being earned ? Article came out recently with comments from Barry Trotz and him discussing what needs to be done for the players to succeed. What a coach should be doing for a player to exceed. And I’m paraphrasing here, but he states that each player is different and that what works for one player isn’t going to work for another. That means the continuation of jamming a square peg into a round whole approach won’t do here. If Quinn wants to be successful here, he has to realize that.

He needs to understand that players have certain strengths and weaknesses. He has to figure out what type of player they are, and put them in the best position to succeed. That means using your situational awareness to realize maybe benching someone in a certain scenario is not the best approach because it might work for one person, but it won’t for this particular player. And this is not the same thing at all in relation to Quinn wanting them to play hard. Of course I want them to play hard, but In the way they are most successfully going to contribute to the team. You can paint stripes on a horse and call it a zebra, but at the end of the day, it’s a horse.

So Quinn doing this whole song and dance about playing the right way but not applying the same standards to different players is infuriating. It’s because he’s not willing to meet half way and take personal responsibility. It’s a sink or float method, and it’s archaic. These players will be the future of our organization. Everything should be done to make sure they succeed otherwise this whole rebuild was for nothing.

Time will tell, but are we just going to sweep this under the rug if it happens again this year?

I have no doubt in my mind that there’s going to be frustration with Quinn on the usage of players next year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Are we still going to pretend that there’s not a potential issue with how Quinn handles ice time being earned ? Article came out recently with comments from Barry Trotz and him discussing what needs to be done for the players to succeed. What a coach should be doing for a player to exceed. And I’m paraphrasing here, but he states that each player is different and that what works for one player isn’t going to work for another. That means the continuation of jamming a square peg into a round whole approach won’t do here. If Quinn wants to be successful here, he has to realize that.

He needs to understand that players have certain strengths and weaknesses. He has to figure out what type of player they are, and put them in the best position to succeed. That means using your situational awareness to realize maybe benching someone in a certain scenario is not the best approach because it might work for one person, but it won’t for this particular player.

So Quinn doing this whole song and dance about playing the right way but not applying the same standards to different players is infuriating
Very confused if you want Quinn to treat his players the same or different.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Do they?

In four games here were the Oilers forwards 5v4 TOI in the playoffs:

Draisaitl: 24:58
McDavid: 24:31
RNH: 23:49
Chiasson: 15:46
Neal 10:36 (Neal/Chiasson flip flopped between the PP1 net front role)
Haas 1:07

Same thing in the regular season. The fifth guy was Yamamoto at 53 seconds/game. The PP1 consisting of 4 of the 5 others was 3+ mins. It was the best PP in the league.

Its better if you have two good ones especially when Strome and Zibanejad are used on the PK. You kill a penalty and then get a pp you need that second unit to start and give them a rest. When i coach i have two different style pp's, the first one gets the bulk of the time but sometimes depending on the team the 2nd unit works better. Usually the first one has a primary style to the canucks with the bumper in the middle and the 2nd pps main goal is point shots and jam the net. There were times this year i was screaming at the screen to swap the pp because they were dog tired.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Are we still going to pretend that there’s not a potential issue wit
h how Quinn handles ice time being earned ? Article came out recently with comments from Barry Trotz and him discussing what needs to be done for the players to succeed. What a coach should be doing for a player to exceed. And I’m paraphrasing here, but he states that each player is different and that what works for one player isn’t going to work for another. That means the continuation of jamming a square peg into a round whole approach won’t do here. If Quinn wants to be successful here, he has to realize that.

He needs to understand that players have certain strengths and weaknesses. He has to figure out what type of player they are, and put them in the best position to succeed. That means using your situational awareness to realize maybe benching someone in a certain scenario is not the best approach because it might work for one person, but it won’t for this particular player. And this is not the same thing at all in relation to Quinn wanting them to play hard. Of course I want them to play hard, but In the way they are most successfully going to contribute to the team. You can paint stripes on a horse and call it a zebra, but at the end of the day, it’s a horse.

So Quinn doing this whole song and dance about playing the right way but not applying the same standards to different players is infuriating. It’s because he’s not willing to meet half way and take personal responsibility. It’s a sink or float method, and it’s archaic. These players will be the future of our organization. Everything should be done to make sure they succeed otherwise this whole rebuild was for nothing.

Time will tell, but are we just going to sweep this under the rug if it happens again this year?

I have no doubt in my mind that there’s going to be frustration with Quinn on the usage of players next year.

So Trotz says what every coach in the world knows, that different players respond to different things. Which player do you know on the Rangers personally, that you feel they aren't being used properly based on their makeup? So far every player outside of Anderson has gotten better since they arrived with Quinn, Deangelo, Strome, Kakko, Fox,Lindgren, Chytil are all better than when they got here. Kravtsov has the same issue as Buch when he got here, he isn't strong enough so thats on him to get stronger.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Some of you may know of the health issues I’ve been experiencing, well after 8 months of trying to seek care in Canada to no avail, yesterday I emailed a doctor in NYC who’s world renowned in this field, he replied within a couple hours and I have an appointment with him tomorrow morning. :) God bless NYC & America!

Good luck, and I hope you're health issues get dealt with and you feel better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->