Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What no one talks about is that he probably would have had 40 points if he was kept on that first power play. I think the power play could be his bread and butter because he has the space to move around and use his body like he did on the bigger ice. I pray to god, Quinn better not go all galaxy brain and play Ryan Strome on the first power play in his spot. He better get that shot now. He’s earned it.
Amazing how he always got the last 15 seconds of sloppy seconds on the 2nd pp unit but that’s in the past Quinn has to put him on the first pp unit next year

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Some of you may know of the health issues I’ve been experiencing, well after 8 months of trying to seek care in Canada to no avail, yesterday I emailed a doctor in NYC who’s world renowned in this field, he replied within a couple hours and I have an appointment with him tomorrow morning. :) God bless NYC & America!

I'm glad you're finally going to get world class health care. Good luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Draft is less than 6 weeks away. I have a feeling we will be seeing some moves sooner than later. I don't know why, but I have a feeling that the move will be a complete shocker.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Yea and also I think if Lafrenière starts on the 3rd line which he absolutely should regardless of how his camp goes, then Chytil will have a serious winger to play with as he develops more as a center.

Hopefully we can sort out who will be an appropriate RW on that line.
Preferably a veteran like Fast but we dont know what the deal is with him
Maybe Gautier would be good. Idk if he plays both sides or just LW

As far as Chytil goes, better linemates statistically do him better--playing with Panarin will do that, definitely, but he also kept it up with Buchnevich and Kreider, too.

If you look at the With And Without You Charts, Chytil's corsi jumped when he played with anyone in the top-6. Also was better playing with Kakko, Gauthier or Lemmy than with McKegg, PDG, or Howden.

The below came from Dobber Sports.

I fully believe there's a next level there (and possibly one more above that). He's a young kid, but he's an NHL player.

View media item 8023

Reactions: TopShelf86

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Telemedicine, I’ve sent him my scans and I’m getting a second opinion from him. It’s a rare thing called pulsatile tinnitus (hearing whooshing sound of turbulent blood flow in your head, along with chronic headaches) so many doctors don’t know much about it, but it is often caused by life-threatening vascular conditions in the brain. The doctors here basically told me because I’m young & fit it would be a waste of time to do any scans, I had to be a pain in their butt and repeatedly go to ER whining to finally get them to do anything. They tried saying the scans are fine but I’ve read stories of many people being told this only for this doctor to find the cause. So I’ll have answers of some sort tomorrow, if I require surgery I’ll definitely be making the trip to NYC, hopefully we somehow have normal hockey back by then and I can catch a Rangers game. :laugh: But anyways I’m so excited and I’m almost in tears!

Good to hear. Best of luck!

Reactions: EdJovanovski

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What no one talks about is that he probably would have had 40 points if he was kept on that first power play. I think the power play could be his bread and butter because he has the space to move around and use his body like he did on the bigger ice. I pray to god, Quinn better not go all galaxy brain and play Ryan Strome on the first power play in his spot. He better get that shot now. He’s earned it.

From Christmas until the pause, the Rangers' PP was one of the best, if not the best, in the entire league.

The goal is to win games, not pad a rookie's stats.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
i don’t understand why the Rangers don’t opt to stop dressing him. Hank couldn’t take the hint of riding the bench while the other two rotated both starting and dressing in street clothes around him.
So…

…you would turn down $5.5 million… that you're owed… if your employer dares to make you work less for it?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
From Christmas until the pause, the Rangers' PP was one of the best, if not the best, in the entire league.

Exactly, I was among those who were skeptical about inserting Strome into PP1 but it worked so I don't understand why would they change the structure that worked (to pad rookie stats as you stated).

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
LMAO Montreal traded for Jake f***ing Allen? How much is that team spending on goaltending? :laugh:
cc @NYR Viper At first, I thought the deal was inexplicable, but I'm starting to come around.

Suppose Montreal was aware of Allen (he played for Montreal in the QMJHL), liked him, believed he is capable of better than he's shown in St. Louis. Everyone in the world knows he won't make as much on his next contract as he is now.

Montreal has trouble attracting free agents, particularly goaltenders, who can bear the brunt of losses in a city like Montreal. They had the cap space. Maybe they decided it was best used taking a goaltender they valued on the cheap, giving St. Louis a 3rd for what is to them a cap dump.

They get to evaluate and woo Allen for a year when his stock is low, and potentially lock him up to a multi-year at a favorable number for them long-term for what they expect of him.

Sounds like Bergevin to me.

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
if you went to college, i would apply for a refund.
No, seriously- explain to me how a vet on the last year of his last big contract no matter what is coerced into voluntarily foregoing > $5 million dollars by being forced to watch NHL games in a suit every night in one of the best seats in the house?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ok, a few things:

1) Montreal is incapable of developing their own backup goalie. Bad.

2) Montreal is spending $15M on goaltending (while remaining one of the league’s worst finishers). Bad.

3) Montreal is spending $4.5M on their backup goalie. Bad.

4) Montreal traded draft picks (when they should probably have started rebuilding like 5 years ago) for a cap dump. Bad.

It may not directly f*** their shit up but it’s just not a good look. Makes it seem like management doesn’t know what they’re doing.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the deal was Allen + 7th for future considerations I could understand it somewhat. I’d still hate it for Montreal but I could understand the line of thinking behind needing a very good back up. But Montreal GAVE a 3rd.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019

Did I say anything about rookie stats? No DQ got a stiffy for Strome. I think Kakko would have made the power play better and while getting the proper experience. You can accomplish both.

Keeping his scoring coming would have made his 5 on 5 better because he would have kept his confidence.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If the deal was Allen + 7th for future considerations I could understand it somewhat. I’d still hate it for Montreal but I could understand the line of thinking behind needing a very good back up. But Montreal GAVE a 3rd.
Probably a third just doesn’t have much value this year. A low third at that.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lafreniere is going to take that right halfboards spot eventually. Although I expect to see Strome there for the start of the season and maybe beyond.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
No, seriously- explain to me how a vet on the last year of his last big contract no matter what is coerced into voluntarily foregoing > $5 million dollars by being forced to watch NHL games in a suit every night in one of the best seats in the house?

Ranger fans know once Shes was promoted he was the starter who alternated with Georgiev to the tune 18 of the final 19 games while Hank dressed and sat the bench at a high cost. Now i’m proposing he doesn’t dress and allows Shes and Georgiev to start and sit in uniform on the bench.

How will you misread this one?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Ranger fans know once Shes was promoted he was the starter who alternated with Georgiev to the tune 18 of the final 19 games while Hank dressed and sat the bench at a high cost. Now i’m proposing he doesn’t dress and allows Shes and Georgiev to start and sit in uniform on the bench.

How will you misread this one?
I’m just missing how that gets Hank to retire and give up $5.5 million? Ok, maybe he won’t love being scratched. But I don’t see him packing it up and leaving that money out there. You havent explained why he would do that just because you press-box him. Maybe I missed that class.

Reactions: RGY

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I’m just missing how that gets Hank to retire and give up $5.5 million? Ok, maybe he won’t love being scratched. But I don’t see him packing it up and leaving that money out there. You havent explained why he would do that just because you press-box him. Maybe I missed that class.

ask for a refund

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Jake Allen is better than Georgiev, already under contract, and not a long term commitment which in there case is a good thing.

That said it's a dumb trade to pay that much for a guy who will play 20-25 games in the regular season and then zero in the playoffs. Could have used tha money to get someone who would help out all the time and sign a decent backup goalie in FA (of which there are many this year)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Jake Allen is better than Georgiev, already under contract, and not a long term commitment which in there case is a good thing.

That said it's a dumb trade to pay that much for a guy who will play 20-25 games in the regular season and then zero in the playoffs. Could have used tha money to get someone who would help out all the time and sign a decent backup goalie in FA (of which there are many this year)
Not being a long term contract is a plus only because his contract is ass.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

I'm not defending the trade (as you surely could of gotten Thomas Greiss for under 4.5M), but as a strategy for a compressed 20-21 season, getting a high quality backup/1B is a good way to sneak into a playoff spot.

Next season's compressed schedule with many potential back-to-back games, I can see why Montreal is worried in overplaying their 10.5M (!!!) goalie with another 5 years on the books after next season.

Fun fact, the Islanders are still paying DiPietro until 2025-2026

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
If he puts in the work this offseason and gets top 6 minutes, I'd be kind of surprised if he doesn't come within 10 points of the numbers posted by the OP.

I don't think people realize how much hockey he played and how much traveling he did leading into his rookie season. In reality he had a few weeks between the end of prospects camp to flying back to NY before Traverse city to just chill out. There was about a month and a half between the two, and I would bet half (or more) was spent training.

The time off did him well before going to the bubble. I hope he takes his off ice training seriously.
Plus he was a baby at 18.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Let's bend over backwards so Kakko can accumulate points? Quinn cares about the team's success. Not Kakko's stats.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm not defending the trade (as you surely could of gotten Thomas Greiss for under 4.5M), but as a strategy for a compressed 20-21 season, getting a high quality backup/1B is a good way to sneak into a playoff spot.

Next season's compressed schedule with many potential back-to-back games, I can see why Montreal is worried in overplaying their 10.5M (!!!) goalie with another 5 years on the books after next season.

Fun fact, the Islanders are still paying DiPietro until 2025-2026
Montreal doesn’t do well in attracting UFAs. Greiss will have better options, and he’s four years older than Allen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad