Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part III: Day by Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
i'd like winnik as a 4th line winger for a year.

I'm confused as to why, with the cap space the team has currently available, it wouldn't make more sense to demote staal to the ahl in lieu of buying him out. The team would save just over a million on the cap and it cuts down on a year at the back end of the buyout. They don't need the cap space this season. Next year they may so do it then.

nmc.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The question should come up every year. Is there anything else you would use the cap space on?

If the answer is no, you don't buy him out. I'd rather take more "dead" cap space now. Why use up valuable future space if we can afford the full hit now?

You either fire Vigneault, or you take away his toys. Gorton has chosen the latter...I would have chosen the former.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Soooo 11 forwards , Fast hurt to start the year . Gotta do something no?

That Russian khl forward have a shot? Boo really going to start w the team ? Kind of think they have to find another C

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Soooo 11 forwards , Fast hurt to start the year . Gotta do something no?

That Russian khl forward have a shot? Boo really going to start w the team ? Kind of think they have to find another C

You mean Jackoff, right? Last thing I saw was a few teams requested him PTO and we weren't one.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Does he lose 1/3 his salary if bought out?

He has a contract. Can't just say, 'erm, you lose a third of your salary'. In the NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, but that's a different story. And even in that case the team can't just change the salary unilaterally.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd take Vanek for a one year deal. He's another righty shot, powerplay machine, and would add a good depth scoring option since I think we'll need stronger wingers to compensate for our diminished center depth. Only issue might be his speed, but he's always thrived by cherry picking. I could see him and Grabner working well. Austria bros

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He has a contract. Can't just say, 'erm, you lose a third of your salary'. In the NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, but that's a different story. And even in that case the team can't just change the salary unilaterally.

I think the rule is they keep 1/3 of salary if under 26 and 2/3 of salary if 26 or over. Then there are other rules for players signed over 3 but for cap hit not salary. Thats what I always read but I could be wrong.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If Staal is bought out, he gets his signing bonuses and 2/3rds of the rest of his remaining salary. He already got the 1 mil signing bonus this year. The next 3 years, he would get 1 mil each, plus another 11.467 mil spread out over the next 8 years.

Basically, Staal would lose about 5.733 mil.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
So? I was giving examples of why you don't take Brooks' speculation as fact. How the deal came together has little relevance to that.

Unless a player is bringing a gun to negotions every unrestricted free agent signing is at terms the team finds agreeable. Its not like Shatty signed for 4.5 mill. He is getting 6.65mill a year on average with 16 mill paid upfront in the first 2 years.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes he does. He gets paid out 2/3s of the remaining cash owed over double the term.

They lose money if they get bought out it was negotiated in the CBA. Players 26+ years old get 2/3s players younger then that get 1/3.

Correct. For players under 26, they receive 1/3 of the remaining contract value. Players 26 and older receive 2/3 of the remaining value.

As for the 35+ thing...Cap Friendly points to this: http://www.startribune.com/confirma...efit-for-35-year-old-signed-nhlers/309050701/

If Staal is bought out, he gets his signing bonuses and 2/3rds of the rest of his remaining salary. He already got the 1 mil signing bonus this year. The next 3 years, he would get 1 mil each, plus another 11.467 mil spread out over the next 8 years.

Basically, Staal would lose about 5.733 mil.

Thanks guys. That is how I thought things were but I previously saw a bunch of posts saying players got everything so I wanted to make sure I had read things correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad