Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part III: Day by Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Staal would waive, would anyone even be in favor of an RNH for Staal swap? I don't love RNH, but if we can move Staal's $ for RNH?

Would take a first, maybe first+ top prospect to get that kind of a deal completed.

Staal's deal runs for a very, very long time. He is the 23rd highest paid defender by year in the league.

He is paid like a #1B for the next four years
He is playing, at best, at a #5 dman level
He is about to turn 30.

Just a really big negative value asset. Perhaps more than Girardi was.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Why is there so much OTT-NYR Staal.... proposals? Does Ottawa have a thing for burnt out D men or just wishful thinking of ripping off someone like DAL or OTT.

It's a need for them. They need a player like that since it helps Erik be Karlsson.

Phaneuf is slotted nicely with them on the second pair.

But imo I'd love to do Staal for Pageau but they won't take money on.

Maybe Staal plus a forward option for Hoffman and Boro makes sense for both teams.

I'd throw Vesey in that package

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Would take a first, maybe first+ top prospect to get that kind of a deal completed.

Staal's deal runs for a very, very long time. He is the 23rd highest paid defender by year in the league.

He is paid like a #1B for the next four years
He is playing, at best, at a #5 dman level
He is about to turn 30.

Just a really big negative value asset. Perhaps more than Girardi was.

The years are the killer.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
No point to buying out Staal this offseason. There are no UFA's left that we need to spend dollars on. Better to pay him this year and reassess next offseason.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No point to buying out Staal this offseason. There are no UFA's left that we need to spend dollars on. Better to pay him this year and reassess next offseason.

I think everyone wants him bought out just to keep him from playing.

I think it's far more likely they roll with him as the 3rd LD this year to keep some veteran presence on that third pairing but if Gorton really wants to force some chance I guess you could see it happen.

More likely they try to find someone somewhere that would take him in a tradw

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York

He needs to go immediately as he clogs up a roster spot and there is competition for those bottom spots.

You've got Holden, Pionk, Berzgalov, Day, and DeAngelo - all vying for spots

Where does Staal fit? He's not what he used to be and getting rid of that cap hit and his terrible impact on the D is critical.

staalbuyout-copy.jpg

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Here's the thing with buying out Staal, at some point does he become 'tradeable' if he waives? If not, buying him out does make sense.

Staal has a similar end of his contract to Rozsival. 5.7m cap hit the last two seasons, but only an average salary of 3.6 million. That's a good deal for a cap floor team.

Lets not pretend that we know Bereglazov/Pionk are better than Staal already. We have no way of knowing that for sure.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Brooks also said, several hours before it happened, that Stepan wasn't being traded to Arizona.

Please don't take his speculation as fact.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
no need to buyout staal.. we have another 2 years of ELC with Bear/Dangelo/Piok and our top 4 is set for another 2 years (mcdonagh).. buy him out/trade him in a year or 2.. no rush.. Miller/hayes wont get anymore then Zib did and Nash is off the books after this year.. we have plenty of money..

Next biggest decision is Mcdonagh and MZA if we should resign or not.. Id trade Mcdonagh and i think MZA will take a team friendly deal again..

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Unless an unforeseen trade develops to fill the void created by Derek Stepan’s trade to Arizona,

That doesn't say no trade for a center. And almost everything is unforeseen to Brooks now that he's lost his sources.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The problem with a Staal buyout it that coupled with the Girardi buyout, it will complicate matters a year or two down the road. For today it works but the bill really starts coming due when the Rangers have a lot of UFAs to sign. Maybe next summer.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The question should come up every year. Is there anything else you would use the cap space on?

If the answer is no, you don't buy him out. I'd rather take more "dead" cap space now. Why use up valuable future space if we can afford the full hit now?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The problem with a Staal buyout it that coupled with the Girardi buyout, it will complicate matters a year or two down the road. For today it works but the bill really starts coming due when the Rangers have a lot of UFAs to sign. Maybe next summer.

Staals cap hit and DGs buy out causes worse problems in 2 years. It actually gets worse when you run a 2018 buy out, larger amounts, shorter tail. It's now or find a sucker at 50% retained.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The question should come up every year. Is there anything else you would use the cap space on?

If the answer is no, you don't buy him out. I'd rather take more "dead" cap space now. Why use up valuable future space if we can afford the full hit now?

Anisimov ideally

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ

People. Stop.

Do you really care about the cap in a year or two, or do you care about us losing games NOW becuase our idiot coach still gives Staal top minutes?? If Staal is an option, he will play, and he will play big minutes.

I really don't know what it going on in your head if you're more worried about future finances than losing games in the here and now. Ridiculous.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Unless you got something lined up that you desperately need the cap space for, there's no point in creating a gigantic headache down the line just so that space can sit there.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Unless you got something lined up that you desperately need the cap space for, there's no point in creating a gigantic headache down the line just so that space can sit there.

It doesn't come down to creating cap space in the meantime. It's removing a defensive liability that will lose us games.

Think. Please.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We went from Holden for Bozak to Staal for RNH to Holden and Graves for AA?

Lets reverse those trades for a second. If you were Tor, Edm, or Chi would you say yes to those trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad