Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXV: Sell some now, buy some later

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
After his replacement fails to preform at the same level

I say it only because the Rangers did this once before in my recollection where they let Nylander go in order to sign Gomez and Drury. Strome is considerably younger than Nylander was and based on his proven chemistry with Panarin and the expected next contracts for both he and Zibanejad, would it not make some sense to start discussing retaining him IF his contract demands are reasonable?

Reactions: Ola

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I say it only because the Rangers did this once before in my recollection where they let Nylander go in order to sign Gomez and Drury. Strome is considerably younger than Nylander was and based on his proven chemistry with Panarin and the expected next contracts for both he and Zibanejad, would it not make some sense to start discussing retaining him IF his contract demands are reasonable?

I would have given him 5x5 in the summer

It appears that much like Mika, albeit to a lesser extent, Strome took a few years to reach the his peak that had him drafted so high. Ironically enough one spot ahead of Mika

There are no perfect players, no perfect hockey games.

Sign and retain players that fit what you are trying to do.

Strome fits here

Scoring at .71 pts per game as a NYR.

Thats a solid player....warts and all

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Strome's game this season is more disciplined (perhaps because Fast left) and more consistent, with or without Panarin, than it was last season. It's too soon to tell how long Strome can maintain this level of play, but his contract runs through next season, which will allow for more evaluation.

Reactions: leetch99

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Would the Rangers have interest in Barrett Hayton?

There are some new additions to the trade board, many of the rental variety. But the interesting names are the youngest. Arizona center Barrett Hayton, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2018 draft, was mentioned by a GM. “I don’t know how sold they are on the Hayton kid.” He hasn’t lit things up this season offensively and he was a high-profile selection made by the previous regime as one amateur scouting director pointed out. “(His possible availability) would speak to where St. Louis had him in his draft year since that’s the new regime there,” he said in reference to new GM Bill Armstrong, who came over from the Blues. If the Coyotes are willing to move him, what’s he worth? That’s the challenge because they’d be selling low. “You’re not getting the fifth-overall value back,” said the scout. “He’s very talented, very smart — more of a playmaker. The concern we had was the pace… I do think anything is open there.”

NHL Trade Deadline Big Board: Taylor Hall, Mattias Ekholm and 28 others who could be dealt

Alexis Lafrenière and Hayton were teammates on the 2020 Canadian WJC team. They had some chemistry in the tournament.

John Chayka selected Hayton higher than he was projected because Arizona wanted a center. He is exempt from the expansion draft.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
All comes down to price but would absolutely take a shot with Hayton. If price is reasonable, we have nothing to lose with our pathetic center depth.

Reactions: McSauer

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would be interested as Hayton as well and not only for his history with AL.
Let’s be honest tho we need to give up something of some value. Even if he isn’t putting up numbers this year.
Would you guys do Kravtsov for him?
I mean Hajek has been good this year but Howden and Hajek is probably not realistic

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I wonder how PDG having COVID will impact our ability to get a 36th round pick for him at the TDL

dude doesn’t deserve it but he will be on waivers in a week w Kravtsov coming

only guy worth anything at the deadline as a ufa is Smith at half off. Maybe a 3rd rounder tops

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I mean Hajek is playing way better than I thought he would

Howden needs to go. Some team would give him a look
So as of last night there are 2 players on the roster who have played in most/all of the games who do not have a goal and Howden is one of them. The other is Lindgren but at least he is a +5. As a center averaging 13 minutes a game how is it humanely possible that you can't score a freakin goal in 28 games?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Maybe.

But I would want to see one more full entire season of play at this level before considering it.

His versatility in terms of being able to play center or wing is a plus. Still, I think Chytil (Still very young) is showing flashes of serious potential. Like a bigger Matt Duchene.

So one of the things I would be interested to see is if Strome has the same chemistry with Panarin while playing the right wing.

Panarin-Chytil-Strome (With Strome taking faceoffs) would be something I'd tinker with if I was Quinn. But with our lack of depth at C presently, you likely wont see that.

Reactions: kovazub94

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So here’s another question:

assuming you could trade either Strome or Buch and you could keep one of the other only for about $5.5m per season for 4-5 years, which do you choose? Before the season, I’d probably lean Buch but Strine’s versatility is extremely useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad