Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIX: Going 11-3 to close out this crazy year should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
I don't give a fck about Wahlstrom, Hughes, McIlrath, etc etc. How does that help us with Roster Building LOL

Reactions: pld459666

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I like Lafrieniere but i just dont see why he gets elevated over Kravtsov based on recent play.
Because we're ok with naked favoritism if it's the guy we like. Same reason no one squawked when Laf was gifted PP time to start the year despite not doing anything with it or deserving it. Laf was a #1 OV pick, Krav was a #9 OV pick, get back in line Vitali.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I don't give a fck about Wahlstrom, Hughes, McIlrath, etc etc. How does that help us with Roster Building LOL
Are you trying to tell me you aren't aroused by a riveting whine fest about Dylan McIlrath's selection literally ten years ago? Instead could I interest you in some fruitless bitching about Olof Lindbom?

Reactions: haveandare

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Two things:

1. ELCs can only slide if signed at age 18 or 19
2. European finesse? Buchnevich is tougher than Gauthier. This outdated thought process that European players are finesse and North Americans are rugged physical specimens needs to die

1. Ty
2. On board with Barron yet or is just another poor North American skater?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Does that mean there's no structure to follow? We 'freestyling'? This isn't something that happens once in a while. Quinn talks about it all the time.

Is it a poor gameplan? A poorly conveyed plan? A poor execution of the gameplan? No matter the scenario, it all reflects poorly on the head coach.

Of course there is structure to follow. My point was that just because you tell someone to "do this" doesn't mean they automatically begin doing it in game situations. And when players are doing the wrong things, it isn't because that's what the coach told them to do.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I agree for sure. The hard part is, with Kreider there, which of the other 8 do you take out? Buch, Ziba, Panarin, Kakko, Laf, Strome, Kravy or Chytil?

Blackwell is a given, at the same time, if he has shown anything, we are also short and speed and quickness. When we get in someone like him it pays off. From my POV Strome and Buch are the best alternatives. But it won’t be super easy to replace them wi physical options. Especially a top 9 center that can play.

they have the makings of the Tampa Lightning. They will look magical on offense until a Blue Jackets team derails them.

Even if they learn to skate North/South when the ice shrinks can they execute? A Boston in their prime will always be there. That team is likely Carolina now. The Dallas Stars from last season and St Louis previously. Big teams win on the boards.

The Rangers may have to part ways with several players. Problem is which b/c they are young.

i’ll say, Laf, Kakko and Krav along with Panarin are the untouchables. Zibby is likely needed b/c there is no center. Leaves the rest as maybe. So Buch, Chytil, Kreider and Strome are the maybes.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's too early. Carolina's rebuild is years ahead of the Rangers. They didn't make playoffs for 9 years starting in 09-10. They started seeing results of rebuild in 18-19 when they made the conference finals. That's a long time of sucking and building. Rangers didn't start tearing things down until 17-18. Still a work in progress.
There's no correlation there or maybe I'm missing it.. What is the exact reason we can't display 'high level hockey'?

Fundamentally, we are an average to poor team. Our overall gameplan, puck movement, rotations, player movement, puck support etc, is all average to poor. That has little to do with our roster talent imo. If anything we are greatly underachieving

Timeline also correlates with Brind'amour showing up. Maybe coaching plays a role? Carolina had a lot of young players leading the way.

Maybe Quinn is our Peters.... but who's our Brind'Amour?

Reactions: CLW

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Of course there is structure to follow. My point was that just because you tell someone to "do this" doesn't mean they automatically begin doing it in game situations. And when players are doing the wrong things, it isn't because that's what the coach told them to do.
That's my point though. He does not seem to be in control

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Based on what?
His message contradicts what happens on the ice.

I agree with nearly all of what David Quinn says... but there's a disconnect with reality.

The team does not get the message, understand the message or care for the message.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
His message contradicts what happens on the ice.

I agree with nearly all of what David Quinn says... but there's a disconnect with reality.

The team does not get the message, understand the message or care for the message.

So, you didn't understand the point I was making. Again, him saying it doesn't equal them doing it. It takes time for players to learn, and some players are more set in their ways. They may do it for a short time, but then fall back into familiar patterns.

There's nothing to indicate that the players have tuned him out. If at some point that happens, I'm sure he'll be replaced. Until then, you are reading things that aren't there.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So, you didn't understand the point I was making. Again, him saying it doesn't equal them doing it. It takes time for players to learn, and some players are more set in their ways. They may do it for a short time, but then fall back into familiar patterns.

There's nothing to indicate that the players have tuned him out. If at some point that happens, I'm sure he'll be replaced. Until then, you are reading things that aren't there.
What you're describing is a poor coach.

Or we have two complete different expectations of the head coach.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
they have the makings of the Tampa Lightning. They will look magical on offense until a Blue Jackets team derails them.

Even if they learn to skate North/South when the ice shrinks can they execute? A Boston in their prime will always be there. That team is likely Carolina now. The Dallas Stars from last season and St Louis previously. Big teams win on the boards.

The Rangers may have to part ways with several players. Problem is which b/c they are young.

i’ll say, Laf, Kakko and Krav along with Panarin are the untouchables. Zibby is likely needed b/c there is no center. Leaves the rest as maybe. So Buch, Chytil, Kreider and Strome are the maybes.

Chytil is excellent on the boards, is only three months older than Krav, and has shown exponentially more to this point in their careers. He was also one of just two or three players who looked good in the play in series last season. Why is he a "maybe" and Kravtsov an untouchable, exactly?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Chytil is excellent on the boards, is only three months older than Krav, and has shown exponentially more to this point in their careers. He was also one of just two or three players who looked good in the play in series last season. Why is he a "maybe" and Kravtsov an untouchable, exactly?

trying to make room. I like Chytil too. Hoping he becomes more of a playmaker or sits in shooting position to feed off passes from others.

I just don’t think we can keep them all. Personally i’d rather keep kids with the exception of Panrin and maybe Zibby. The rest can go.

Last edited:

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
…waiting on them Jones digits

EDIT: Team website says Jones wears #6.
Yeah I wasn't sure what number Zac Jones would wear, Rangers website has said 6 since he signed, didn't know if that was just a placeholder, kinda like how they had some players with retired numbers and already in use numbers during offseason.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Agreed as well, but he's still rough around the edges, which is to be expected.

A few offseasons of skating/puck stills work are going to do wonders.

My biggest criticism of Miller is that his mistakes seem so unnecessary. It's not caused by him missing a step, or struggling to read the play.

No, the mistakes he makes seem to just the result of complacency. When he has the puck on his stick in his own zone, he doesn't clear it. He tries to be too cute and make a play first which has led to some prime scoring chances and even a goal or two the last week.

That also means these mistakes are the easiest to fix. The skill is there, the tools are there. He just needs to change his mindset and stick to the basics in those situations.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and CLW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad