Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXII: Stepping up in a Perfect Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The goaltending carousel continues.

Its a shortened season, you should expect the back up every few games, all teams are doing it, he was gonna get one of the Boston games, better that he gets the first one as it gives Shesterkin some rest before his next game...its no surprise.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I gotcha. If you and DQ feel it's better to give Strome and Blackwell key quality pp1 unit time over the likes of Lafreniere and Kakko fine. Honestly don't care anymore. This team is now 5 games under .500 with two top elite prospects scoring at about a point every 7 or 8 games. It was just a thought maybe to give this kid a chance with some open space and time and not on the second unit getting garbage time with the likes of Smith and Bitetto. But we agree to disagree. that's fine.
it's arguable he'd have at least 1 goal last game if he played on the PP instead of Blackwell... I could have had a goal over Blackwell last game tbh. Couldn't make that up

Reactions: bl02

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
2 years at college where he was able to excel and build his confidence and work on his game = his time was horrible and was stagnant
2 weeks with the Rangers = unbelievable, Quinn has turned this lump of ore into a well polished masterpiece!
You know that he spent time the entire bubble working with the team, right?

Also, it isn't 2 weeks, it is literally months at this point

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I saw that too, that was disappointing. young but needs to figure his game out or NHL, Not Here Long.
He just does not have it or else the coach is not interested in trying to get him to play that way . You would think Quinn would have had a sit down with him and say...[listen kid...in the event of a scrum don't be scared to get involved as in a push or even some lip service or a shoulder bump to let them see you at 6 foot 5 on skates as it likely won't get you in trouble with the ref most times and will get you lots of brownie points with your smaller mates and likely more icetime] Now....I am no coach...but that is the message I would be telling that kid right now....get more involved in the play during and at stoppages like we first discussed if you want to make the pension mark for an NHL player !!!! Right now he adds less then a PDG /Blackwell/Rooney despite his speed and size .

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
You know that he spent time the entire bubble working with the team, right?

Also, it isn't 2 weeks, it is literally months at this point

Yes, I think both sides are now being disingenuous at this point. Quinn doesn't have my confidence at this point to develop Lafreniere and Kakko. He's done well with the defense and now that Martin is here to provide structure, that's a great step for the rebuild. I'm not satisfied with the results so far from our prospect forward group that he's had over the last 3 years and I don't get the sense that any of them are about to break through. I believe that Kaapo and Filip will finish strong but I don't really see what an NHL caliber coach like Montgomery or Gallant can't do that Quinn can. Safe to say no one is happy with the results from our young forwards compared to our defense. I've been very annoying complaining about Quinn. I think it's time to start learning through winning and give everyone a fresh start. In a rebuild like this with an experimental coach, management should exercise the liberty to make changes if they feel the rebuild is stagnating.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Because he's getting paid big money to be part of the solution. Imo he isn't a captain, he's bailing on a team that has tried to surround him with players since he got there. I mean they added Hall and Staal this season, signed Skinner to that dumb deal to make him happy and now he wants to bail....honestly i love his skill set but i don't know if he is worth the price it will take to aquire him. If we were trading for Matthews, McDavid or Mackinnon id do it every day, but to me there's something about a captain getting paid 10 mill as the face of the franchise complaining about losing so much. Do something about it.
I don't necessarily disagree with you strongly, but I think Ryan O'Reilly had the same stigma prior to winning his cup. Buffalo is chaotic and terrible at team building. I wouldn't empty the cupboard for Eichel but I would definitely acquire him. Given the GM and coach turnover, the consensus every year that they will be bad, the similarities between Jack and ROR, I'm comfortable giving the benefit of the doubt and going for it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
... I believe that Kaapo and Filip will finish strong but I don't really see what an NHL caliber coach like Montgomery or Gallant can't do that Quinn can...

So just change for the sake of changing?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He was 'amazingly better' in camp already. Maybe, just maybe YOUR expectations were off. I said KAM would make the team after I heard how JD talked about him... It did not fit most expectations here.

Fox and Miller were going to be good players no matter who the coach was. They are elite talents in their own regards. Using it as a blunt tool to bludgeon me, every time I question Quinn's coaching decisions, is my problem. As in, 'Why did Quinn do this? Well he developed KAM and Fox , so you're wrong'
You are right. They just simply developed themselves.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I gotcha. If you and DQ feel it's better to give Strome and Blackwell key quality pp1 unit time over the likes of Lafreniere and Kakko fine. Honestly don't care anymore. This team is now 5 games under .500 with two top elite prospects scoring at about a point every 7 or 8 games. It was just a thought maybe to give this kid a chance with some open space and time and not on the second unit getting garbage time with the likes of Smith and Bitetto. But we agree to disagree. that's fine.
Well Strome is a center, so there is that. At last check, neither Lafreniere nor Kakko played center. And Blackwell has looked, well pretty good and not out of place at all. So, yeah. Not really that much of an issue of Lafreneire spending some more time on PP2. It is really not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad