Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXII: Stepping up in a Perfect Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Who is the complete moron? Quinn or the joke that believes that Miller was developed by Granato?

2 years at college where he was able to excel and build his confidence and work on his game = his time was horrible and was stagnant
2 weeks with the Rangers = unbelievable, Quinn has turned this lump of ore into a well polished masterpiece!

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This is called obfuscation. JD was also gushing about Schneider. He was certainly not gushing about his performance in Wisconsin.

I believe that Fox and Miller came to the Rangers at one level. And are now on a different level. And someone besides Martin probably had something to do with it.
We're not talking about Wisconsin. We're talking on how KAM looked at camp. JD literally used his play as a 'plus' out of the whole bubble.

No one is arguing they are good and/or getting better. I just am suspect to the role Quinn had in it. We seem to love analytics here, so I'm starting my own. DAR. Development Above Replacement. I have Quinn flat to negative. Chart coming soon

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
He’s gonna cost a ransom

Right, one that I don't think the Rangers should pay. Emptying the cupboards for Draisiatl, McDavid, Mathews or Barkov. Yea, sure go crazy. I don't know where all this Barkov stuff comes from. Florida looks good and I have no idea why they would move him but if there is any truth to him being available that's one I'd be thrilled with.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The roster isn't the same....staal gone, Fast gone, Lundqvist gone... Miller in, Lafrieniere in, Johnson in, Hajek in, Rooney in, Blackwell in, Bitteto in. The problem this year has been Zib getting covid and an injury before the 4th game, Kreider slow start, Lafreniere not quite ready, injuries to Chytil, Trouba, covid protocol to Kakko and Miller and a slow start to our goaltending early on.
Add it up.....it adds up to losses.

Kakko have not had a big impact either and that is something that should have been expected IMO.

He is a 2nd overall pick in his 2 Svech was a PPG player almost his second year. Patrick was slow but Heiskanen, Pettersson and Makar all had strong 2nd years, Laine and PLD had strong 2nd years, Eichel was a PPG, and so forth.

Normally you definitely start to get some impact from a 2nd overall pick his soapmore year. Kakko just had 3 pts for us.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Sitting here in Panera Bread checking in on today's misery.

This Quinn stuff is making me want to stab an eye out with my 99 cent chocolate chip cookie.

I'm no peacemaker but can't we all just agree that Jonny Brods may be the worst non enforcer type forward to wear a NYR jersey in many moons?

Ok. Back to the Quinn hot takes.

Enjoy the day NYR fans.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yea but then what's left? 2021 unprotected 1st, Kravtsov, Lundqvist, Chytil and Howden

That's a big ask as well

It is but it also depends on what happens after that. Eichel and Zib can't co-exist on this team with the talent we're going to have to re-sign. So that means the Rangers will likely trade Zib. How many of those assets that they gave up for Eichel can they recoup from a team with cup aspirations looking for a top line center that's right handed? They certainly won't recoup everything but the aggregate is what matters.

I have a hard time seeing the Rangers giving up an unprotected 2021 1st (especially at this rate) as well as all 3 of Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and Chytil. So for sake of argument say it's the 1st, Lundkvist, Chytil, and Howden or another 4th line throw-in. In that trade the Rangers get a franchise center who is younger and healthier than Zibanejad. Could they turn around and recreate the Stone to Vegas deal with the Knights? Krebs/Glass, a 4th liner, and a pick for Zib who will extend with them? In that move they recoup 2 of the 4 pieces they give up for Eichel. They still have Kravtsov as an heir to Buchnevich. They still have Trouba and Fox down the right side with Schneider on the way. So on the surface the trade is expensive, but down the road the cost could be recovered.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It is but it also depends on what happens after that. Eichel and Zib can't co-exist on this team with the talent we're going to have to re-sign. So that means the Rangers will likely trade Zib. How many of those assets that they gave up for Eichel can they recoup from a team with cup aspirations looking for a top line center that's right handed? They certainly won't recoup everything but the aggregate is what matters.

I have a hard time seeing the Rangers giving up an unprotected 2021 1st (especially at this rate) as well as all 3 of Kravtsov, Lundkvist, and Chytil. So for sake of argument say it's the 1st, Lundkvist, Chytil, and Howden or another 4th line throw-in. In that trade the Rangers get a franchise center who is younger and healthier than Zibanejad. Could they turn around and recreate the Stone to Vegas deal with the Knights? Krebs/Glass, a 4th liner, and a pick for Zib who will extend with them? In that move they recoup 2 of the 4 pieces they give up for Eichel. They still have Kravtsov as an heir to Buchnevich. They still have Trouba and Fox down the right side with Schneider on the way. So on the surface the trade is expensive, but down the road the cost could be recovered.

You won't get Eichel without one of fox, Kakko or Lafreniere...they need something exceptional back or theyll just keep him or move him somewhere else.

Reactions: MetalJaws

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We're not talking about Wisconsin. We're talking on how KAM looked at camp. JD literally used his play as a 'plus' out of the whole bubble.

No one is arguing they are good and/or getting better. I just am suspect to the role Quinn had in it. We seem to love analytics here, so I'm starting my own. DAR. Development Above Replacement. I have Quinn flat to negative. Chart coming soon
JD gushed. Ok. And? Miller has been here since the camp and not simply skating in the backyard. Somehow he amazingly got better? Was it due to gushing and backyard skating? Or....wait for it.....maybe the coaching staff had something to do with it.....gasp.......

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
To explain it to everyone....
Every prospect or young player that hasnt hit yet is because of Quinn

Every prospect that has played well or exceeded expectations isnt because of Quinn.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
JD gushed. Ok. And? Miller has been here since the camp and not simply skating in the backyard. Somehow he amazingly got better? Was it due to gushing and backyard skating? Or....wait for it.....maybe the coaching staff had something to do with it.....gasp.......
He was 'amazingly better' in camp already. Maybe, just maybe YOUR expectations were off. I said KAM would make the team after I heard how JD talked about him... It did not fit most expectations here.

Fox and Miller were going to be good players no matter who the coach was. They are elite talents in their own regards. Using it as a blunt tool to bludgeon me, every time I question Quinn's coaching decisions, is my problem. As in, 'Why did Quinn do this? Well he developed KAM and Fox , so you're wrong'

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This may be irrational but I don't really care how good Quinn is for Buchnevich, Gauthier or Howden. I only care how good he is for Lafreniere and Kakko -- because the Rangers' success is tied to their success. I hope JD and Gorton get honest assessments from Laf and Kakko during exit meetings this summer and act accordingly. If they love him, great. If they don't, look elsewhere.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The coaches have to figure out how to put the best lineup on the ice.
I gotcha. If you and DQ feel it's better to give Strome and Blackwell key quality pp1 unit time over the likes of Lafreniere and Kakko fine. Honestly don't care anymore. This team is now 5 games under .500 with two top elite prospects scoring at about a point every 7 or 8 games. It was just a thought maybe to give this kid a chance with some open space and time and not on the second unit getting garbage time with the likes of Smith and Bitetto. But we agree to disagree. that's fine.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
don't know how commited he is to leaving NA/NHL/AHL but I'd give him a shot w Pack, very young/inexperienced team, he is an experienced 23 year old, and a C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad