Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXII: “The Year of the Plague’s” last one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Dear God Mikos...I can see him being laid out at least 3 times by Wilson and Johnson as he foolishly drops the gloves with either...it would get some ugly really fast . He would not back down that we all know...but he would almost certainly be killed . Maybe they should just hire him as an assistant coach for Hartford or NY . He likely still a good guy to have around the young fellows but probably not on the ice in games.

He's a great guy, but wasn't a great fighter. He did it to get add value to the team, I remember him taking boxing lessons with Prust. He went up against the likes of Carkner and Neal after messing up Karlsson. Real good guy to have. I remember back when I was tweeting, Boyler answered a question from Cerny with what I tweeted verbatim back in 2013 after Torts was giving it to him. That was a real special moment for me personally.

If we're looking at last year's output with FLA, I would describe him as a "low event" 4th liner, and a good defensive option. His possession stats show a guy who was used primarily as we've known him. Getting in on those D-Zone starts, and playing solid defense. He was slightly below break even in terms of his actual impact, which for a 4th liner who is there to stop guys, and not score is a good option.

The big benefit he would bring is having another guy who can take on the defensive responsibilities. It would mean that Zibs & Strome get a break from their checking match-ups from last year, and get some more offensive looks.

That being said, if Boyle's playing, he's probably going to be replacing a younger player and I don't have a problem with that if it's helping the team win.

Reactions: leetch99

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If I was worried about making the team better in the short term for this season I’d be all for adding Boyle.

As it is though, I think this season is gonna be our last true “developmental” year, and I’d rather have a backup 4c option like Rooney who won’t be upset if he’s sitting on the bench if Howden plays well enough.

And this is someone who has limited hopes for Howden. Both the aforementioned Boyle and anisimov got their careers started on the 4th line

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
People complained about Boyle when he was 26 and now people want him when he’s 36. HF.
because when he was 26 we relied on him to be a top scorer for us lol. Now we just need a nice vet who can play on the 4th line, win faceoffs and kill penalties. I think we need another defensive C. I don't want Zib killing penalties anymore.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
because when he was 26 we relied on him to be a top scorer for us lol. Now we just need a nice vet who can play on the 4th line, win faceoffs and kill penalties. I think we need another defensive C. I don't want Zib killing penalties anymore.

can he still skate though is my #1 concern.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Boyle has been a regular penalty killer exactly once the last five years (a brief stint in NJ) and his PK results have been awful in that time period which is likely why he is no longer a regular penalty killer.

Reactions: leetch99

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Boyle would be a good veteran addition and is a leader. He's a pro and would help in the development of these kids even in ways that Prospal, Fedotenko, Richards helped him.

The only thing from Boyle's POV and also the Rangers is money and cap space. Would he come to NY state to be making $700K? After taxes how does that benefit him other than his overall pension/days of service as an NHL alumni?

Reactions: RangersFan1994

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Regarding the fake PLD, my opinion is that Columbus is going to have to look at both competing today and keep an eye on tomorrow in regards to any package they are offered.

My short list of untouchables are:

Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, Chytil and Igor.

Everyone and everything else is fair game.

Its the combo of those assets that gets tricky.

So, something like Buch, Nils and a 1st. I'm in

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Regarding the fake PLD, my opinion is that Columbus is going to have to look at both competing today and keep an eye on tomorrow in regards to any package they are offered.

My short list of untouchables are:

Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, Chytil and Igor.

Everyone and everything else is fair game.

Its the combo of those assets that gets tricky.

So, something like Buch, Nils and a 1st. I'm in
Definitely not getting him unless Chytil is in the package to replace the center they are losing.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
What’s fair value for PLD? He’s exactly what we need as a 1C long term (love Zib but he probably only has a couple more prime years). Could see something like Kakko + Strome or Chytil + Kravtzov + Lundqvist/Schneider

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Some early indications that the trio of Laf/Chytil/Goat is working. Could make for a really interesting story line this year with the PLD stuff looming, since I would expect the ask from Columbus for PLD would include Chytil. That being said, if Chytil is playing well with Laf, do the Rangers become more reluctant to part ways with him for PLD? I'm really curious to see where the Rangers project Chytil at this point in his development. It seems like they had high hopes for him but did those expectations cool to the point that moving him for PLD is a no-brainer?

Reactions: McSauer

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would be shocked if the Rangers dangle Kakko.

You don't typically do that with 19 year old, former second overall picks, who are widely seen as having franchise level ability.

Not unless he's part of a package for someone who is already at that level, or unless something has gone seriously wrong.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I would be shocked if the Rangers dangle Kakko.

You don't typically do that with 19 year old, former second overall picks, who are widely seen as having franchise level ability.

Not unless he's part of a package for someone who is already at that level, or unless something has gone seriously wrong.
i only part with kakko if by some miracle mcdavid wants out of edm and only wants to come to the rangers lol

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some early indications that the trio of Laf/Chytil/Goat is working. Could make for a really interesting story line this year with the PLD stuff looming. I would expect the ask from Columbus for PLD would include Chytil. That being said, if Chytil is playing well with Laf, do the Rangers become more reluctant to part ways with him for PLD? I'm really curious to see where the Rangers project Chytil at this point in his development. It seems like they had high hopes for him but did those expectations cool to the point that moving him for PLD is a no-brainer?

Chytil would likely be part of the ask from Columbus. Of that I feel fairly confident.

Would the Rangers include him? Unknown at this time.

PLD is going to cost us something we don't want to give up. There's probably no way around it. If it's all players we don't have a hesitation about trading, it probably isn't enough.

On the flip side, when fans like a young player, it can also be easy to pile onto the proposed deals in the thought that the offer isn't enough. That's where you start getting into proposals where we are moving four of five pieces for a guy.

I think just about everyone other han Lafreniere, Kakko, Shesterkin and Fox will be "on the table."

I put that in quotes because of course the Rangers are going to have some guys who they value more than others and who will not be the first players they offer up.

Chytil will probably not be someone the Rangers want to include, but he could be someone they have to include and are willing to.

Reactions: McSauer

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Some early indications that the trio of Laf/Chytil/Goat is working. Could make for a really interesting story line this year with the PLD stuff looming, since I would expect the ask from Columbus for PLD would include Chytil. That being said, if Chytil is playing well with Laf, do the Rangers become more reluctant to part ways with him for PLD? I'm really curious to see where the Rangers project Chytil at this point in his development. It seems like they had high hopes for him but did those expectations cool to the point that moving him for PLD is a no-brainer?

If what @Edge says is true about Zibanejad, I would venture a guess that the feeling may be to add another center to Chytil moreso than wanting to swap him out for another one. In fairness a 2C is easier to find than a 1C so if the upgrade is for a bonafide guy like that perhaps Gorton could move Zibanejad for a young 3C with 2C upside.

Something this team needs to be cognizant of is that with all of the firepower on the wings, they should be looking for the right centers moreso than guys who may be stars themselves. Hopefully Lafreniere and Kakko develop well and need that money and with Kreider and Panarin already here that's a lot of money tied up on the wing

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Kakko is the guy you accept as being part of the package if McDavid comes around, or MacKinnon, or someone like that.

Nothing against PLD, but I don't think he's the guy the Rangers do that for.
exactly, i think people want immediate results and forget that kakko was an 18 year old playing his first season in north america

most players arent going to immediately dominate

as far as PLD hes a good young player but people need to pump the brakes on this guy

Reactions: Zivkovic

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If what @Edge says is true about Zibanejad, I would venture a guess that the feeling may be to add another center to Chytil moreso than wanting to swap him out for another one. In fairness a 2C is easier to find than a 1C so if the upgrade is for a bonafide guy like that perhaps Gorton could move Zibanejad for a young 3C with 2C upside.

Something this team needs to be cognizant of is that with all of the firepower on the wings, they should be looking for the right centers moreso than guys who may be stars themselves. Hopefully Lafreniere and Kakko develop well and need that money and with Kreider and Panarin already here that's a lot of money tied up on the wing

If I were to guess, because I haven't talked to anyone at this time, I would guess that the Rangers are likely to view PLD as first line center who fits like a glove for them now and for the next decade.

As such, I think Chytil would be someone they'd reluctantly include in a deal for PLD. But as a follow-up move, at some point they'd probably try and move Zibanejad for a package that included a young center --- not unlike the deal they used to acquire him.

They would do this, not because they don't love Mika, but simply as a budgetary/balancing move.

That's the interesting thing about a PLD move. It very well could mean the departure of three of the four centers currently on our roster within a relatively short period of time.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Chytil would likely be part of the ask from Columbus. Of that I feel fairly confident.

Would the Rangers include him? Unknown at this time.

PLD is going to cost us something we don't want to give up. There's probably no way around it. If it's all players we don't have a hesitation about trading, it probably isn't enough.

On the flip side, when fans like a young player, it can also be easy to pile onto the proposed deals in the thought that the offer isn't enough. That's where you start getting into proposals where we are moving four of five pieces for a guy.

I think just about everyone other han Lafreniere, Kakko, Shesterkin and Fox will be "on the table."

I put that in quotes because of course the Rangers are going to have some guys who they value more than others and who will not be the first players they offer up.

Chytil will probably not be someone the Rangers want to include, but he could be someone they have to include and are willing to.

Yeah I think the "post PLD" scenario is the one I have a hard time coming to grips with. I can easily see the argument for PLD. A big, rugged, Quebecois center to line up with your big, rugged, Quebecois franchise LW in Lafreniere and possibly RW of the same mold in Gauthier. Game is tailor made to fit with a play-making LW like Lafreniere. Young and entering his prime. Makes tons of sense and I can absolutely justify the cost if it does include Chytil.

That being said, just how much shuffling is this team prepared to do at this stage? Are we really going to deal several young players for PLD just so we can move on from Zib for another young guy? If you put the pieces together with contracts and the rumored desire for a "sooner rather than later" resolution in Columbus, that puts us on a timeline of about 12 months to make it work. Even then that might be pushing it because the closer you get to the end of that span, the closer Zib gets to "just a rental" value. Not likely to fetch you a soon-to-be 2C. Not to mention that's an awful lot of upheaval on a team that, while rebuilding, is also sort of fragile given that they've already lost a number of key vets over the last 12 months.

So I can definitely see the appeal but I have a hard time lining up the rest. Seems like you'd need to land PLD in the next few months in order to give yourself enough time to find an adequate deal for Zibanjead heading into the draft and/or free agency.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Yeah like I mentioned in my response to Edge, I can certainly see the appeal and can at least understand the notion of moving Zib for a potential #2C. Just seems like a very tall order to execute on. So many pieces need to fall into place in a very short period of time. Could be the sort of thing that kicks the whole rebuild off the road for a period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad