Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXII: “The Year of the Plague’s” last one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
My concern re. Zibanejad is not even his decline in later years but the concussion situation.

Is that really much of a concern though? If he unfortunately gets a more serious concussion and can't play anymore he can just be placed on LTIR. From a hockey standpoint I'd be more concerned about a decline in abilities.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is strange to think that both ADA and Lundkvist could theoretically moved, but it's entirely possible.
Everything is fluid. If DeAngelo goes out and paces a 70 or 70+ point season AND improves his defensive play, the plan would have to change.

Sort of similar with Lundqvist. I could be very wrong, but I just do not see a right side that includes both him and Fox for the long term. To my untrained eye, it does not appear that is the type of team that Gorton and JD are building. A possible future right side of Trouba, Fox and Schneider does a bit of everything.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
i think this is the problem i have, i dont see dubois as a number 1 center right now....i especially dont see him as a bona-fide star 1st liner
Why is that though? He already was their 1C two years ago when he centered Panarin and Atkinson as a 21 year old. He then faced more difficult usage with worse linemates last season and still had strong underlying production and maintained a similar PPG pace. He also forecasts favorably over the next 5 years, and I'd bet we can expect a higher GSVA over time in a more potent offense than CBJ.

What other doubts do you have?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So what would we say the odds are PLD is dealt in the first place and then from there he's dealt to the Rangers?

I would think the Rangers would have the best pool of assets to utilize of teams that may be interested in PLD.

As others have said PLD isn't a player you move Laf, Kakko, Fox or Shesh for. Chytil would hurt but in these types of trades it will sting a bit.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Everything is fluid. If DeAngelo goes out and paces a 70 or 70+ point season AND improves his defensive play, the plan would have to change.

Sort of similar with Lundqvist. I could be very wrong, but I just do not see a right side that includes both him and Fox for the long term. To my untrained eye, it does not appear that is the type of team that Gorton and JD are building. A possible future right side of Trouba, Fox and Schneider does a bit of everything.

Can't argue with any of that.

In ADA's case, frankly the salary becomes an issue as well. The better he performs, the more the dollar amount on the next contract increases. Depending on the moves the Rangers make (trades, re-signing players, etc.), that starts to become a challenge.

But, as I've believed, talent is a pathway to talent. Even if salary caps or roster structures result in some talented players be moving at some point, it also puts us in a position to ask for talent in return.

I like Gorton's odds of acquiring talent when he was the pieces to utilize in the first place. Attempting to do so without having talent to offer makes the task that much more difficult.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I guess we'll see where the market ends up for contracts after this year. I guess I have a hard time seeing a 70-75 point PLD coming in at what someone like Matt Tkachuk is making on his 2nd contract. So I'm leaning towards PLD making at least $8.5 on his next deal assuming that he hits that point number with the Rangers next season. The acquisition cost certainly factors into it. I like the price for PLD more than what I expect Eichel to cost. If Chytil can be saved in the PLD deal then I'm much more willing to gamble on a Zibanejad trade as well.

There's something to be said about opportunity forcing your decisions but at the same time I'm hopeful the Rangers weren't taken by surprise by PLD's desire to be moved over this summer and are putting all their eggs in that basket.

So in the end, if you moved something like Buch, Lundkvist/Lindgren, and a 1st for PLD, I think that's a heck of at trade for us. If you can follow that up by capitalizing on Zibanejad for a Glass or Krebs and some other pieces, that's a heck of a move. On the flip side, if you have to sacrifice Chytil in the PLD trade, that basically sets the market for Zibanejad as a Chytil replacement or bust and boxes Gorton in a little bit.

Guess this is the reality of having elite talent in your organization. You can't keep everyone and sometimes you just gotta roll the dice and hope it works out the way you see it.

To your point, a big part of is knowing which gambles are worth it and when.

You could argue that a 22/23 year old center your scouts think has a chance to score 80 points and mesh with your team for the next decade is worth the risk. If the Rangers get heavily involved, it'll be no secret what they think of PLD.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So what would we say the odds are PLD is dealt in the first place and then from there he's dealt to the Rangers?

I would think the Rangers would have the best pool of assets to utilize of teams that may be interested in PLD.

As others have said PLD isn't a player you move Laf, Kakko, Fox or Shesh for. Chytil would hurt but in these types of trades it will sting a bit.
Very low. Like 5%

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

In ADA's case, frankly the salary becomes an issue as well. The better he performs, the more the dollar amount on the next contract increases. Depending on the moves the Rangers make (trades, re-signing players, etc.), that starts to become a challenge.

But, as I've believed, talent is a pathway to talent. Even if salary caps or roster structures result in some talented players be moving at some point, it also puts us in a position to ask for talent in return.

I like Gorton's odds of acquiring talent when he was the pieces to utilize in the first place. Attempting to do so without having talent to offer makes the task that much more difficult.

Well ideally it'll allow us to make moves for players with salary retained and on good contracts without coughing up 15 first round picks like we did last window.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

Keep in mind .....Tony might also be the type of guy that will take less to stay and play in NY . Besides...why would Columbus want him with the big duo they already have ?

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Very low. Like 5%

You are way off. The question is a conditional probability problem, where first we look at the probability of him being traded, you can draw your own number, next we know that the Rangers don't have to compete with themselves so thats n teams minus 1. Not all teams have the same probability of getting him due to numbers of input variables such as cap space, prospect pool rankings (available pieces), compatibility etc etc it can go on and on. but lets just focus on available prospects, a team with no prospects has 0% chance of landing him. Given where you rank the Rangers in terms of prospect pool, and the likely hood of him being traded and not factoring willlingness to give up said assets and all the other inputs that can turn this conversation upside down I would peg the Rangers between 20-25% chance of landing him given 75% chance he's traded

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I think that with the increased defensive responsibility and going up against other teams top lines, his offensive numbers are going to take a hit initially but that's to be expected..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->