Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVII: On to Arbitration & the 2nd Buyout Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
We will have $35m+ in cap space not even really projecting any increase from a TV deal that will double or more the current TV deal.

We can say “wait and see” but we have someone in here telling us we don’t have enough money now thanks to Panarin. Projection is necessary in this debate.

Once you factor in that the increase will be more because of the TV deal after year 3, we could start seeing that amount of space by year 4-5. Maybe “$50m” was overselling it but it was more about the point than being exactly numerically correct: it will be tons. I would probably bet on upwards of $40 million by year 4.

Again, assuming no other big, long term FA signings between now and then.
I understand where you’re coming from. Again, I agree with you that I think the team will be fine. I don’t believe in the doom and gloom some are forecasting. The Gomez and Drury situation was truly worse and Sather even found his way out of that.

It will probably take some careful maneuvering in the coming seasons, especially as it gets closer to Judgement Day if you will, but I have plenty of faith Gorton can take care of it.

The Seattle aspect I see/hear some people talk about is shortsighted when talking about the Cap though. I’m excited to see what the new TV deal will bring.

Reactions: Rongomania

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
We can make it work actually

The current status, as of now, is we have 8 million in cap space. Once Beleskey is sent down its a tad over 9 million, and Fox being sent down gives us 10m. Its possible they send forward like McKegg if they'd rather 13/8 but I don't see them keeping fox up with the squad to sit in the press box, but the cap difference is negligible. 10 million across Trouba, Buch, DeAngelo, and Lemieux is spreading it quite thin.

Projecting some contracts:

Lemieux will probably get a very short term deal at 1-1.3m per, he hasn't proved or played much at NHL level to deserve more.

Trouba is coming off 5.5m from an arb award but he also had a 50 point season, if they go to arbitration or settle on a 1 year deal I could see somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.5m. Long term extension is prob in the 7.5-8m range

Buch is coming off his ELC, some comparables for his situation on 2nd contracts are Teravainen, Domi, Strome, Burakovsky. All signed in the range of 2 years at ~3m per. Arb eligibile

DeAngelo is a bit harder to project. Using comparables based on age, games played, points scored, position. I'm seeing Torey Krug in 2014 offseason for 1 years 1.4m, Tyson Barrie 2 years 2.6 per, Chris Tanev 1 year 2m in 2014.

If we are projecting more hopefully, and leaning more towards short term deals. 1 (Lemieux) + 6.5 (Trouba)+ 3(Buch) + 2(ADA) is 12.5m. Gorton would have to find 2.5 million in space to just fit our own RFAs, nevermind Gusev. I think Gorton would like to sign at least Trouba, if not also Buch/ADA to longer term deals. If Gorton can move Kreider for a good return of a 1st+ then that solves the problem. Or perhaps a team like Edmonton are still interested in Buch. I don't think it's likely much will happen until after the rest of the RFA market shakes out and there's more cost certainty. I don't think they want to buy out any contracts, though I think the relief we get this year from a Shattenkirk buyout would alleviate all of the cap pressure. Since we free up about 20 million in cap space next season and no one is due for a raise, the big dead cap hit if we were to buyout Shattenkirk wouldn't be much trouble for us to navigate, and the remaining 1.4m for the following 2 years is negligible.

All in all, unless Gorton makes some big moves, I don't see Gusev as a viable option. Vegas is capped out pretty hard right now so we wouldn't be able to send any money back, and if Gusev is asking for 4m per it would be tough to fit him in with the rest of the squad.

Reactions: bl02

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Down the line...Following a win in Newark, Lemieux and Strome will (drunkenly) draw straws to determine who will be off to Seattle.

Reactions: Rongomania

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Yeah, you make room for a guy like Gusev. Like others have said, we really have a lot of depth on the wing so it’s not imperative, but this acquisition would be another move to make our team better, there is no question. Too many question marks for me on how we can make it work, but maybe that’s a good thing because things are very fluid still. Gorton playing his hands nicely.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
@Amazing Kreiderman you didn’t tell us you were at Monday Night Raw in New Jersey!:sarcasm:

View attachment 243603
LMAO holy shit that’s f***ing amazing.

I was playing pool one night last week, and during a track on some house music station the DJ gave a shoutout to “the New York Rangers.” I made a sort of bastard-of-a-word gasp/squeal/guffaw during someone’s shot. This was on the west coast by the way.

The hype train has left the station.

The DJ also said something else about it that I unfortunately missed due to my outburst.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This. Will. Not. Happen.

:eek::eek::eek:

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
LMAO holy **** that’s ****ing amazing.

I was playing pool one night last week, and during a track on some house music station the DJ gave a shoutout to “the New York Rangers.” I made a sort of bastard-of-a-word gasp/squeal/guffaw during someone’s shot. This was on the west coast by the way.

The hype train has left the station.

The DJ also said something else about it that I unfortunately missed due to my outburst.
That sign made my week lmao. It’s gotta be a poster on here.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Gusev only make sense if there is a large deal both clearing out space while adding a defender.

While no one thing is a large concern (age, position, salary) the combination of the three means there is no room at the in for this player.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Gusev only make sense if there is a large deal both clearing out space while adding a defender.

While no one thing is a large concern (age, position, salary) the combination of the three means there is no room at the in for this player.

If the Rangers were indeed interested in Gusev and would require an AAV of $4MM theybwould have to send out that much in current cap to make it work in a separate deal.

Currently it looks like they need to move Names, Kreider and potentially buyout Smith. They would need to complete another buyout (are they able to buyout more then one player in the 2nd window even?) of either Staal or Shattenkirk.

Next year would really worry me if they went the route of buying out 2 players with one of those players being Shattenkirk. Your talking about almost $9.5MM in dead cap space in the 20-21 season with a Smith and Shattenkirk buyout.

While I would love to add Gusev, unless he will either take less money or interest in Shattenkirk increases before the season starts where he can be dealt with no more than 25% retention I dont see how they can add him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark