Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVII: On to Arbitration & the 2nd Buyout Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I was mostly referring to your posts but had seen other nuggets in here towards it. I just don't see what I keep hearing about Seattle doing much for the Cap that we haven't seen already. Your original argument of not having to worry about the future of our payroll structure because the Cap will go up (you originally were saying $50 million in Cap space) was very much based around, propped up by or whatever way else to articulate it, the Seattle team helping increase the Cap.

I have no doubt the TV deal, especially the right one, will be beneficial towards the Cap. Let's just wait and see what that actual deal is before projection $50 million in cap space. I'm not saying the Cap is going down so I don't really need to provide a burden of proof. What I'm saying though is, outside of the TV contract, anyone mentioning Seattle as a reason (really at all in my opinion) is self-serving. I'm not trying to attack you or anyone else but it seems like when people ignore a primarily similar (and maybe stronger) scenario that just happened, they're doing it to make their point look better.

I'm not sure how anything short of Seattle winning a Cup it has a drastic effect over what the Cap increases to vs the effect Vegas had. Which was already accounted for when you originally had worked out the 4 year increase of 11.2%.

We will have $35m+ in cap space not even really projecting any increase from a TV deal that will double or more the current TV deal.

We can say “wait and see” but we have someone in here telling us we don’t have enough money now thanks to Panarin. Projection is necessary in this debate.

Once you factor in that the increase will be more because of the TV deal after year 3, we could start seeing that amount of space by year 4-5. Maybe “$50m” was overselling it but it was more about the point than being exactly numerically correct: it will be tons. I would probably bet on upwards of $40 million by year 4.

Again, assuming no other big, long term FA signings between now and then.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Can’t see a scenario where the Rangers can clear enough space for McDavid until Lundqvist/Staal/Smith/Shattenkirk are off the books.

If you are asking what value would we be willing to give up, that’s one thing, but even trading the pieces Edmonton would want - our young stars on ELCs - we would never clear enough cap space to make it happen.

Which is fine with me since the chance of this being something Edmonton wanted to do is so remote.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Lol if McDavid wants to be traded there are no untouchables unless he says he will only play here and will sit out if not dealt.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fair enough. I still don't think it's wise to trade a proven NHL player for a guy who has 0 NHL games and wants to start at $4M

Well, according to The Athletic, the asking price is a 2nd round pick + a B-prospect.

2nd + Howden
2nd + Hajek
2nd + Lindgren
2nd + Rykov
2nd + Lias?
2nd + Chytil?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Buch definitely leaves me wanting more too often but he's also 3 years younger and a proven NHL player. What's to suggest Gusev isn't a Shipachyov type scenario?
Ship is a good player though. He just got absolute shit minutes and treated poorly.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Rangers can definitely afford McDavid in 2021 after Lundqvist and the three S's on defense are off the books.

Proposed it before, but Edmonton will take Chytil, Andersson, Nils Lundkvist, Joey Keane, and our 2021 1st for McDavid, and they will like it.

Reactions: mschmidt64

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well, according to The Athletic, the asking price is a 2nd round pick + a B-prospect.

2nd + Howden
2nd + Hajek
2nd + Lindgren
2nd + Rykov
2nd + Lias?
2nd + Chytil?
Imo Lindgren is the weakest of that bunch by a lot, not really the same tier of player as the others in my eyes. Also, we'd have to move that to get him and then make another $4m of cap space in a year where we seemingly can't even move a great player like Kreider for needed cap space without getting kicked in the pants.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Imo Lindgren is the weakest of that bunch by a lot, not really the same tier of player as the others in my eyes. Also, we'd have to move that to get him and then make another $4m of cap space in a year where we seemingly can't even move a great player like Kreider for needed cap space without getting kicked in the pants.

I don't think this is true.

But OTOH, all of those deals are quite aa bit to give up for an unproven player who can just bolt to the KHL if he doesn't like whats going on here.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm starting to come around to the reality that Smith is bought out and Shatty starts here. Fox is no guarentee to start here. Maybe an injury opens up an opportunity, maybe he plays up his value.

I'm not going to argue ability, merit or what's right. But I think people aren't paying attention if they believe Staal and Shattenkirk are jettisoned before anyone proves to Quinn they can handle regular minutes. Quinn's perspective matters, not HF boards.
I actually will take it a step further and state that Smith is also in the starting line up on opening night. On the 4th line.

Reactions: egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't think this is true.

But OTOH, all of those deals are quite aa bit to give up for an unproven player who can just bolt to the KHL if he doesn't like whats going on here.
Yeah, I could be reading the situation wrong with Kreider admittedly.

I'd think they'd like to clear the space to sign Trouba, Lemeuix, Buch etc ASAP so it's not all being figured out too close to camp. Trouba can wait I guess, but with his agent I'd rather just get it done and not give them more time and leverage.

Could be that they'd like to try to keep Kreider and they're trying to see what the options to move any of the albatross D-men are before they fully commit to moving CK. Hard to tell I guess. It does seem like cap space is at more of a premium than it's been in some time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad