Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVII: On to Arbitration & the 2nd Buyout Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
How is it we have Trouba’s date, but not Buch’s? Don’t they announce the schedule for all the RFAs at once?

Scheduling issue. The NHL and NHLPA found an agreeable date for all of the parties in the Trouba case.

They are still trying to find a date which works for the Rangers, Buchnevich and the arbitrator.

Usually the NHLPA waits to announce the hearing dates all at once but the hearing dates have been leaked in the last few years before the PA announces all of them at the same time.

The hearing dates are June 20-August 4. Maybe the Rangers will try to get a hearing date for Buchnevich closer to August 4. Buy themselves some more time.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Move Shattenkik to San Jose at half retained for a prospect. I'm not sure how high Joachim Blichfeld is on San Jose's radar but I'd be interested in that guy even if we had to move something else with Shattenkirk. Right shooting left wingers are gold in my books, dont understand why more players dont play their offwing, much easier to create shooting spaces.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Move Shattenkik to San Jose at half retained for a prospect. I'm not sure how high Joachim Blichfeld is on San Jose's radar but I'd be interested in that guy even if we had to move something else with Shattenkirk. Right shooting left wingers are gold in my books, dont understand why more players dont play their offwing, much easier to create shooting spaces.

I'm a righty, prefer the LW as well

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Why would they want Shattenkirk? He wouldn't sniff the power play with Karlsson and Burns there and they have more than enough RHD. They have 5.4 mil in cap space and only 10 forwards signed. They aren't wasting 3.325 mil on Shatty.

The only teams I can see as landing spots for Shatty are Edmonton and Anaheim. Anaheim is short on NHL caliber dmen and there's a deal to be made with Edmonton if we take back 1 or 2 of their current crappy dmen and bury them.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
If the Rangers were indeed interested in Gusev and would require an AAV of $4MM theybwould have to send out that much in current cap to make it work in a separate deal.

Currently it looks like they need to move Names, Kreider and potentially buyout Smith. They would need to complete another buyout (are they able to buyout more then one player in the 2nd window even?) of either Staal or Shattenkirk.

Next year would really worry me if they went the route of buying out 2 players with one of those players being Shattenkirk. Your talking about almost $9.5MM in dead cap space in the 20-21 season with a Smith and Shattenkirk buyout.

While I would love to add Gusev, unless he will either take less money or interest in Shattenkirk increases before the season starts where he can be dealt with no more than 25% retention I dont see how they can add him.

Yes, not good that 2nd year of a Shattenkirk byout. But remember that Girardis cap hit will be much lower next year. And with Beleskey gone almost another mill. in cap savings.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
This. Will. Not. Happen.

:eek::eek::eek:

Images not showing, at least for me.

Images dont appear...
Same issue.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Scheduling issue. The NHL and NHLPA found an agreeable date for all of the parties in the Trouba case.

They are still trying to find a date which works for the Rangers, Buchnevich and the arbitrator.

Usually the NHLPA waits to announce the hearing dates all at once but the hearing dates have been leaked in the last few years before the PA announces all of them at the same time.

The hearing dates are June 20-August 4. Maybe the Rangers will try to get a hearing date for Buchnevich closer to August 4. Buy themselves some more time.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks, RB.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Why would SJ want Shatty?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The current status, as of now, is we have 8 million in cap space. Once Beleskey is sent down its a tad over 9 million, and Fox being sent down gives us 10m. Its possible they send forward like McKegg if they'd rather 13/8 but I don't see them keeping fox up with the squad to sit in the press box, but the cap difference is negligible. 10 million across Trouba, Buch, DeAngelo, and Lemieux is spreading it quite thin.

Projecting some contracts:

Lemieux will probably get a very short term deal at 1-1.3m per, he hasn't proved or played much at NHL level to deserve more.

Trouba is coming off 5.5m from an arb award but he also had a 50 point season, if they go to arbitration or settle on a 1 year deal I could see somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.5m. Long term extension is prob in the 7.5-8m range

Buch is coming off his ELC, some comparables for his situation on 2nd contracts are Teravainen, Domi, Strome, Burakovsky. All signed in the range of 2 years at ~3m per. Arb eligibile

DeAngelo is a bit harder to project. Using comparables based on age, games played, points scored, position. I'm seeing Torey Krug in 2014 offseason for 1 years 1.4m, Tyson Barrie 2 years 2.6 per, Chris Tanev 1 year 2m in 2014.

If we are projecting more hopefully, and leaning more towards short term deals. 1 (Lemieux) + 6.5 (Trouba)+ 3(Buch) + 2(ADA) is 12.5m. Gorton would have to find 2.5 million in space to just fit our own RFAs, nevermind Gusev. I think Gorton would like to sign at least Trouba, if not also Buch/ADA to longer term deals. If Gorton can move Kreider for a good return of a 1st+ then that solves the problem. Or perhaps a team like Edmonton are still interested in Buch. I don't think it's likely much will happen until after the rest of the RFA market shakes out and there's more cost certainty. I don't think they want to buy out any contracts, though I think the relief we get this year from a Shattenkirk buyout would alleviate all of the cap pressure. Since we free up about 20 million in cap space next season and no one is due for a raise, the big dead cap hit if we were to buyout Shattenkirk wouldn't be much trouble for us to navigate, and the remaining 1.4m for the following 2 years is negligible.

All in all, unless Gorton makes some big moves, I don't see Gusev as a viable option. Vegas is capped out pretty hard right now so we wouldn't be able to send any money back, and if Gusev is asking for 4m per it would be tough to fit him in with the rest of the squad.

Trouba will get a longterm contract unless he's asking for a ridiculous amount. 9+ mill. I think he'll get 8/64.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why would they want Shattenkirk? He wouldn't sniff the power play with Karlsson and Burns there and they have more than enough RHD. They have 5.4 mil in cap space and only 10 forwards signed. They aren't wasting 3.325 mil on Shatty.

The only teams I can see as landing spots for Shatty are Edmonton and Anaheim. Anaheim is short on NHL caliber dmen and there's a deal to be made with Edmonton if we take back 1 or 2 of their current crappy dmen and bury them.

Colorado has a ton of cap space and their only RHD are Johnson and Makar. Without Barrie they don't really have anyone who can play on the 2nd unit either. Johnson plays there on and off but they prefer not to use him there and Girard has got some time there with adequate results. If anything happens to Makar/Johnson they have very little depth there unless you count Timmins who has never played a professional game and missed all of last year. There's almost no way they will have less than 6M in cap space after they sign their RFAs. They also can deal with a guy for two years as they have no important RFA/UFA next year and the UFA class in the league is terrible. I would rather try and trade them a retained Shattenkirk than Kreider as their prospect pool for Kreider is not particularly appealing.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I’m a glutton for punishment:

Buy out STaal
Trade Shatty (50%), Strome, Fast, Krieder
Trade for Gusev, Reaves
Sign FA vet D under 1 mil who can play both sides ideally

Any combo of:
Bread Ziba Kakko
Lemmy Chytil Buch
Gusev Names Krat
Reaves Howton Lias
Smith

Skjei Trouba
Hajek ADA
Rykov Fox
Smith

+/- 3 mil in cap space, Smith serves as swing man or in case Fox/Rykov aren’t ready, frees up D log jam, adds toffness for you toffness fans, 4 Dangerous lines, after all trades should have some futures to continue pipeline, compète now and win future, we can weather a cap hit next season from STaal/Shatty combined at 7 mil it’s downhill after that when others come to term.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I’m a glutton for punishment:

Buy out STaal
Trade Shatty (50%), Strome, Fast, Krieder
Trade for Gusev, Reaves
Sign FA vet D under 1 mil who can play both sides ideally

Any combo of:
Bread Ziba Kakko
Lemmy Chytil Buch
Gusev Names Krat
Reaves Howton Lias
Smith

Skjei Trouba
Hajek ADA
Rykov Fox
Smith

+/- 3 mil in cap space, Smith serves as swing man or in case Fox/Rykov aren’t ready, frees up D log jam, adds toffness for you toffness fans, 4 Dangerous lines, after all trades should have some futures to continue pipeline, compète now and win future, we can weather a cap hit next season from STaal/Shatty combined at 7 mil it’s downhill after that when others come to term.

Three rookies on D?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Keep Staal this year. See how Hajek/Rykov/Lindgren go. Buy him out the following year.

Reactions: Vitto79

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I kinda want to see Panarin , Kreider , Kratsov , Lemieux at LW cause that’s rather deep

Kakko, Buch , Strome , Fast Rw and Just let the kids battle for 2-4th C ice time

Namestnikov dealt

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I’m thinking a B prospect is more along the lines of Lindgren Reunanen Sjalin Keane
Sjalin is more along the lines of a D prospect. And, really, the letter grade isn't ever fair, because most DO hit their ceiling, their ceiling just isn't very high. Sjalin 95% won't make the NHL.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
In regards to lias what do people think is best for his development moving forward ?

I actually think first line center mins for Hartford under a new coaching staff with a good team might honestly be best for him. Take the pressure off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad