Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You should just leave out Reaves from your proposals because I think it's safe to say he's an automatic assumption at this point.

I mean I'm fine taking him and I'm fine with him going elsewhere.

I was honestly more interested in him as a cap dump for a single year if the team was planning on being bad again just from a pure insurance standpoint for the young players. I also think having him around would help instill a bit of the environment Quinn was pushing for last year. In saying that, the second they signed Panarin, that desire went away. It's not to say I would be upset like many here to have him around for a year, but I'm less enthused in specifically going after him.

He's involved because when I was running their cap situation he was the odd-man out

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Fan boys? Look---Kreider's been a very good player for us and looking at where he was taken he was an excellent pick--a number of players taken before him in his draft year did a whole lot less. Honestly I like him a lot and the Rangers are going to need find to someone to front the goalie like he used to do on the power play and his size and speed did keep other teams on their heels and IMO that's going to be missed too.

Saying that there was always the hopes and expectations that if he were a bit more consistent...but he never quite got there. Very good player still......and as well I wanted the Rangers to sign Panarin---he's just a better player but signing him pretty much has always meant to me that we would have to move on from Chris. Wish it weren't so but his contract coming up and our cap where it is right now I don't see a way of keeping him.
Yes he is a fine player, inconsistent as hell though and not worth anywhere near what he will command. Anyone that doesn't have a biased love for him can see there is no way we can sign him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Clearing Clarkson's contract would make life a lot easier for them.
Clarkson on LTIR for the Rangers is no issue since we do not want to bank cap space anyway. For Vegas, it's different. They need to bank daily cap space to make a move at the deadline.
Vegas are up against the cap, and so are we once we sign Trouba.

So how is either team adding cap? And even if they wash that doesn't help either team.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

So how is either team adding cap? And even if they wash that doesn't help either team.

Vegas offered 4m over 2 years (2m AAV). Gusev wants 8m over 2 years (4m AAV).

If Vegas can offer 2m for Gusev they can take on Kreider for 50%

Rangers can still shed cap with Strome, Namestnikov and a Smith buy out. You can sign Lemieux and DeAngelo to their QO (5% raise) and have 11m left for Trouba and Buch. Sign Buch to a bridge deal since he doesn’t want to commit long term et voila...

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
True...but this feels more like spite from Lou.

I honestly think Lou is a bottom 10 gm in the league and living in reputation from his devil's days. Got himself a good coach and gave him a terrible lineup.
He left the Leafs a mess. He's really a zero at this point. He can do stuff but it's all short term prayers

Reactions: bl02

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

The Rangers have other avenues to save money (moving Namestnikov, buying out Smith, etc). Vegas doesn't have those same avenues available right now. With a stagnant cap next year, they may prefer to have the expiring deal in Kreider over the longer term contract of Gusev. They may also feel Kreider gives them a better chance to win this year.

Moving Clarkson helps them alleviate their concerns in season in accruing cap space.

The issue they are going to have is not exceeding the 10% offseason overage when they sign everyone. They are at ~$84m right now less Gusev or Subban and with 5 defensemen

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Clarkson has a M-NTC 14 team list he will waive for. Word is he is unwilling to go to high tax states. He has 1 yr left at 5.25 mil and as it’s his last check, he wants to maximize it. Nevada is a no income tax state. High tax states, NY, CAL etc. he wants nothing to do with.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Gorton should really be pushing to create cap space however it's possible at this point.

That means trading Namestnikov and, as tough a pill as it will be to swallow, Kreider, for no instant NHL return.

I remain hopeful I could get a first from a fringe-lottery team for Kreider and hopefully it turns into a winning lottery ticket.

Reactions: Cag29

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If not having a first rounder for four years hasn't taught us anything...

Less of a concern if we have a player like Marner as the reason

Trading 1st rounders for guys like Yandle and MSL is not good practice.

Trading them for a 22 year old top 20 player in the NHL? For me, that's a no brainer.

Reactions: Yankeekid07

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
What possible interest could the Rangers have in Gusev?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

What, we want to pay him millions to be a bottom 6 winger here? We have Kakko, Panarin, Kravtsov, and Buch already, not even counting if Andersson or Chytil become better off as wingers.

We need centers. We don't need another $5m a year winger.

We already have to shed either Namestnikov and/or Kreider and/or Buch for basically no incoming salary to get cap compliant this year, once we sign Trouba and the RFAs. Where are we getting the money for Gusev?

This isn't a "let's go for it, overpay for an elite player" scenario like Panarin. Gusev hasn't even played in the NHL, he might be no more than Jimmy Vesey was?

I have virtually no interest in Gusev.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Less of a concern if we have a player like Marner as the reason

Trading 1st rounders for guys like Yandle and MSL is not good practice.

Trading them for a 22 year old top 20 player in the NHL? For me, that's a no brainer.

I'd be against trading four first rounders, especially when they have to be including next year's, in which we could be a lottery team again, and win said lottery. Thus we gave away Byfield or Lafrieniere or another elite piece.

I'd maybe take the risk of losing out on a guy like that if I could negotiate two first rounders traded away instead of four, plus maybe another add, like a second or third. And I'd need to be getting back, as you said, a sub-23 year old first line center.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I was not even mentioning those picks. I was just referring to the Rangers going from the ECF to the 2nd overall pick in 4 years. There was never even talk of a rebuild, until the letter was sent in 2018.

No talk of the rebuild until the letter, but the actions leading to that letter should have been an indicator.

Brassard for Mika and a 2nd

Stepan & Raanta for 7OA and ADA

The letter was final confirmation, but the writing was on the wall

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
To make Gusev work you would need 4 moves.

Names as a cap dump.
Smith Buyout.
Kreider for futures trade.
Trade for Gusev.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I agree with the whole 4 1sts as being too much to swallow for teams. With one exception, if your in the situation the rangers are in, in the market they are in, with the whole college free agent play in play.

What I mean is that the rangers have accumulated what is like 6 years worth of 1sts in 3 drafts time. I’m including the 1st/2nds we traded for from the 2016 draft class, 2017, 2018, 2019.

So I’d say the rangers are in the unquie position where an offersheet wouldn’t be cutting off your legs if your the Rangers.

Add in the college free agent method of signing 1nd/2nd round value guys who are close to ready, and the Rangers ability and probable necessity to trade some of the surplus talent who don’t have spots in the ranger lineup.

The rangers could probably recoup 2-4 of those 1sts back in that 4 year span, and with the bulk of guys brought in recently, staggering the picks wouldn’t hurt either.

Finally you’d have to think of the Rangers made a play like this and it worked, they would be a playoff team going forward and the picks would Be 15 and lower.

BUT the rangers just signed panarin to huge money without giving the picks out. So the point is probably moot.

Now if it were a 21-24 yo franchise center instead an elite unbelievable winger in the marner situation. I think the rangers might still think long and hard on it and make the necessary sacrifices to make it possible

Just thinking outloud

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'd be against trading four first rounders, especially when they have to be including next year's, in which we could be a lottery team again, and win said lottery. Thus we gave away Byfield or Lafrieniere or another elite piece.

I'd maybe take the risk of losing out on a guy like that if I could negotiate two first rounders traded away instead of four, plus maybe another add, like a second or third. And I'd need to be getting back, as you said, a sub-23 year old first line center.

I'm not talking about the Rangers today.

I'm talking in general. If the Islanders do not believe that last season was a fluke and think that with the right player they can better compete to get out of the east, then an offer sheet for a guy like Marner makes a ton of sense

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Is Gusev a center? No. So we have no reason to be interested
Gusev is potentially the next Panarin who we can acquire for cheap. He wants I think 4 mil for 2 years? We can flip him if anything for much more. I think nearly every team in the league should be trying to acquire him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad