Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
and with the fact there are other teams obviously pursuing Gusev which should drive up the price. And aren't the Knights in cap hell? They can't take on money and neither can we at this point. There is no way we can get him! like literally no way or am I missing something?

I think people still don't understand how LTIR works, otherwise they wouldn't be including Clarkson.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I dont see how Gorton can get NHL ready assets for Kreider

We have about 8 million in cap space now with Trouba, DeAngelo, Buchnevich and Lemieux to resign and Trouba could potentially take up 7+ million of that.

Kreider, Shattenkirk, Namestnikov and Staal all have to go with minimal retention and minimal NHL caliber returns.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
and with the fact there are other teams obviously pursuing Gusev which should drive up the price. And aren't the Knights in cap hell? They can't take on money and neither can we at this point. There is no way we can get him! like literally no way or am I missing something?
I think you're right. Plus Gusev doesn't want a long term contract. So at best you get him at $4mil for 3 years. He's going to be 30 by then and he'll want a bigger contract assuming he plays well.

Reactions: bl02

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dont see how Gorton can get NHL ready assets for Kreider

We have about 8 million in cap space now with Trouba, DeAngelo, Buchnevich and Lemieux to resign and Trouba could potentially take up 7+ million of that.

Kreider, Shattenkirk, Namestnikov and Staal all have to go with minimal retention and minimal NHL caliber returns.

Do the assets really have to be NHL ready though? I dont think so, especially with whats happened to the roster since the draft - a straight up adrenaline shot of talent.

Also, now is about the time that the organization is asking if DeAngelo's and Buchnevich's attitude shenanigans are worth the investment.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I liked Gusev as a target before we got Panarin. Maybe he can duplicate, or at least come close to, what Panarin did and for less money. Now that we signed Panarin, there's zero chance we trade for Gusev.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Do the assets really have to be NHL ready though? I dont think so, especially with whats happened to the roster since the draft - a straight up adrenaline shot of talent.

Also, now is about the time that the organization is asking if DeAngelo's and Buchnevich's attitude shenanigans are worth the investment.

I honestly do not know what you are referring to in terms of attitude and shenanigans

I don't think either player has demonstrated negative traits in either area

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
if trouba and buch don't file for arbitration that means they already have a deal agreed on and just haven't official signed/announced it. if they are still negotiating then it makes no sense to not file to have that leverage

but we shouldn't buy anyone out

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
We can currently fit Trouba's contract under our cap. We only need to clear out Namestnikov and bury Smith in the AHL to fit Buch, Lemieux, and Deangelo. If we trade Kreider on top of that for Gusev and sign Gusev to a 2 year 8 million dollar contact we would be saving money off of Kreider.

Reactions: cheech70

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
if trouba and buch don't file for arbitration that means they already have a deal agreed on and just haven't official signed/announced it. if they are still negotiating then it makes no sense to not file to have that leverage

but we shouldn't buy anyone out

We may not have a choice.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We can currently fit Trouba's contract under our cap. We only need to clear out Namestnikov and bury Smith in the AHL to fit Buch, Lemieux, and Deangelo. If we trade Kreider on top of that for Gusev and sign Gusev to a 2 year 8 million dollar contact we would be saving money off of Kreider.

I think both Buch and ADA get 3.5 each.

Between the 4 players, the Rangers need at least 15 million

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Folks are gonna be disappointed with the returns on guys we need to move cap wise.

with the exception of kreider or buch, none of the guys being discussed are worth much of anything so if we get nothing back i'd be fine. anything more is a bonus.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I find it funny and amusing that when we were contending, we never had to jump through all of these hoops to be cap compliant

Now, the mathematical gymnastics we have to go through and still expect to miss the POs is comical.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I find it funny and amusing that when we were contending, we never had to jump through all of these hoops to be cap compliant

Now, the mathematical gymnastics we have to go through and still expect to miss the POs is comical.

we made moves to be cap compliant ie trading hagelin. we just were never bored enough to discuss the possible options lol

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
there is always a choice...you can always unload bad salaries on teams that need to hit the cap floor, it might cost you something to do it but you can do it

So you'd rather give up next year's 1st round pick than buy out a player? We could buy out Strome and barely suffer any cap penalties at all. Hell, we could buy out Namestnikov too. Between the two of them, the cap penalties would be less than 2 mil per year. We'd save over 5 mil.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So you'd rather give up next year's 1st round pick than buy out a player? We could buy out Strome and barely suffer any cap penalties at all. Hell, we could buy out Namestnikov too. Between the two of them, the cap penalties would be less than 2 mil per year. We'd save over 5 mil.

Can't buy out strome.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I dont ever remember a summer where we needed close to 15 million to sign four players with one of them set to make half of that number themselves

Because we did things earlier like let players go we'd rather have kept (Stralman), bought them out (Richards) or traded them (Hagelin). We often had hoops to jump through to get our cap situation in line. Maybe not as many, but we still had to do them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino