Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
No talk of the rebuild until the letter, but the actions leading to that letter should have been an indicator.

Brassard for Mika and a 2nd

Stepan & Raanta for 7OA and ADA

The letter was final confirmation, but the writing was on the wall

Gorton used the word “rebuild” summer of 2017. Pretty clear when you trade your “# 1” center for a pick & prospect that you’re leaving a sinking ship.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'd easily give up 4 1st rounders for Marner.

Hes 22 and worth it.

I totally agree...especially if you are a team like Boston who would be top of the league with a player like Marner for the next 4 or 5 years making the 1st rounders more like 2nds

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Shattenkirk has to be moved, retain salary or whatever but it would be best to move him now instead of having him struggle at the start of the season and being stuck with him. I dont see them moving Staal. Smith I feel might end up on the 4th line due to the lack of toughness in the lineup outside of Lemieux, it would be nice to get rid of his contract but I'm not sure that's happening.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Why are people so against Gusev, he has the potential to put up the same or more points than Kreider and for only 4MM a year. Essentially you avoid paying Kreider 7MM by getting a guy with the same offensive output at a cheaper price than Kreids is currently.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Why are people so against Gusev, he has the potential to put up the same or more points than Kreider and for only 4MM a year. Essentially you avoid paying Kreider 7MM by getting a guy with the same offensive output at a cheaper price than Kreids is currently.
Gusev only makes sense if you're moving both Kreider and Buch, and likely sending them somewhere other than Vegas. That's a lot of movement to accommodate just one player – especially one who may not be better than either of the two you'd be moving out, who are already under team control...

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So it would appear, this would work:

Kreider + Nieves (Vegas needs a 4C per their capfriendly)
for
Gusev + Clarkson + Reaves + LV 3rd '20 + LV 2nd '21

The Rangers would need to then move:

Namestnikov for picks/prospects

Shattenkirk with $2m retained

Buyout Smith

And it would all fit for both teams. Unless Vegas would move Reaves in a separate deal elsewhere

Something like that

You realize we already have to clear at least 7 mil to pay our RFAs, right?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I get the feel that with Panarin signed Gorton now has a tougher job to get something maybe a bit more NHL ready than a first round draft pick in 2020??? And on top of that someone who isn't making much. That is not gonna be an easy job for sure.

Reactions: McCartney

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I get the feel that with Panarin signed Gorton now has a tougher job to get something maybe a bit more NHL ready than a first round draft pick in 2020??? And on top of that someone who isn't making much. That is not gonna be an easy job for sure.

That's what I've been saying, but people are acting like not only will it be easy to move all those contracts without retaining, but we can trade for guys like Gusev at the same time. Fantasy land.

Reactions: bl02

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Gorton used the word “rebuild” summer of 2017. Pretty clear when you trade your “# 1” center for a pick & prospect that you’re leaving a sinking ship.

I agree. I was replying to someone that stated there was no talk of a rebuild until the letter

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like the idea of Gusev, but it would take some serious(And potentially very costly) moves to get us under the cap with him in the fold.

Reactions: Trxjw

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That's what I've been saying, but people are acting like not only will it be easy to move all those contracts without retaining, but we can trade for guys like Gusev at the same time. Fantasy land.
and with the fact there are other teams obviously pursuing Gusev which should drive up the price. And aren't the Knights in cap hell? They can't take on money and neither can we at this point. There is no way we can get him! like literally no way or am I missing something?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Man, I want Gusev.

Gusev only makes sense if you're moving both Kreider and Buch, and likely sending them somewhere other than Vegas. That's a lot of movement to accommodate just one player – especially one who may not be better than either of the two you'd be moving out, who are already under team control...

This.

We need to clear about 8M now to re-sign our guys. In addition to that, we'll have to clear out even more to accommodate Gusev. That's a lot of movement and although I'd love to add Gusev, it seems more of a luxury than a need.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Ya, I’m hoping that Gorton can bring back a guy who can play next season if he does decide to trade Kreider. Although, if we DO get something like a 2020 first and a B prospect, he could look to package some of our more expendable assets plus that pick for an NHL upgrade, so I think he does have some options here.

A lot of it depends on what happens with Smith/Shattenkirk. I could see a buyout happening now that we know for sure that Panarin is in tow.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He purely plays wing.
So the ideal situation would be for JG to somehow get a young low cost center for Names and/or Kreider (probably the latter) who has a Mika lite type potential. Especially, if most of us feel that Chytil/Strome isn't the answer to the 2c spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln