Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIX: To trade or not to trade CK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I understand the necessity of shedding salary and trading CK.

But there is something very wrong with a business model where you draft a player, invest in his development, put up with his growing pains and, when all that time, effort, and expense finally pays off and you have a legit first line winger in the prime of his career, you feel the need to trade him. This is when we should be reaping the benefits of his productivity.

This is the system and we are stuck with it. But, it is wrong and no way to run a business.
Ck is closer to being out of his prime then being in it, he could be a Pavelski type and just keep being productive but more likely not, and re-upping him has the likely hood of squeezing out a younger player in 2-3 years. We had to buy out how many players lately due to overpayment when resigning them past their likely prime? I only wish that management gets smarter and starts betting on their young players more, Ck probably should’ve gotten a longer deal a few years back. It wasn’t hard to see Mika being a steal if signed to 6 or 7 years and they didn’t do it.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Unless they venture into the multiple buyout route, Kreider is pretty much toast.

He may be anyway. I really don't think they want to hold onto him until the deadline and be forced to make a tough decision.

he's gone either way just a question of now or the deadline...same goes for names, and possibly strome. so none of the guys being discussed were ever part of the long term plans imo

Reactions: jas

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Not sure if this has been posted

So, as we’ve been saying all along, the likelihood is that the Rangers will deal Chris Kreider sooner rather than later, his own contract headed to its final season before unrestricted free agency and a bump to seven years at $7 million-plus per year. The Rangers aren’t likely at all to want to pay the inconsistent Kreider for that term, as he turns 29 next spring.

The Rangers can also trim cap space in a number of other ways, including a buyout of Kevin Shattenkirk or Brendan Smith, or by dealing away Buchnevich, or DeAngelo, or more likely, Vlad Namestnikov ($4 million) or Ryan Strome ($3.1 million). If they trade Kreider, it becomes more feasible that Buchnevich stays.

Buyouts create dead cap space for twice the remaining term of the contracts, which the Rangers would prefer to avoid. But it might be a necessity now, in the second window that was opened to them when Trouba and Buchnevich filed for arbitration.

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Rangers situation isn't as bad as it seems. Is it perfect? Of course not.

Buying out Namestnikov and Smith is an absolute worst case scenario. It would stink not to get much for Namestnikov but his savings after a buyout is a much better option than trading one of the three Ds somewhere with a sweetener.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I understand the necessity of shedding salary and trading CK.

But there is something very wrong with a business model where you draft a player, invest in his development, put up with his growing pains and, when all that time, effort, and expense finally pays off and you have a legit first line winger in the prime of his career, you feel the need to trade him. This is when we should be reaping the benefits of his productivity.

This is the system and we are stuck with it. But, it is wrong and no way to run a business.

Loyalty is the most overrated thing in sports especially when it comes to a core that got close but didn't go all the way. It's been 14 years since the 2004-05 lockout ended, which is twice as long as the dark ages were. We've seen plenty of young players come up through the system despite what the main board says "Duuuh Rangers never have yung guyz in da line up"

Not everyone can stay. Kreider has never hit 30 goals despite last year having a golden chance to.He's been a Ranger for parts of 8 years, 6 full NHL seasons. Good player at times but he's capped out.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
One more thing, I really hope no one is freaking out over a Bret Cyrgalis story. While I don't have the same opinion of him as Dan Boyle, the guy is an America's Choice version of reporting. Nothing juicy and no sources, just straight facts with a few key words to add drama.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017

Buying out Namestnikov and Smith is an absolute worst case scenario. It would stink not to get much for Namestnikov but his savings after a buyout is a much better option than trading one of the three Ds somewhere with a sweetener.

One of the D will be bought out. It's just a matter of who.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Am I the only one not really that enamored with Suzuki?

There's a reason the Knights had no problem parting with Suzuki for Pacioretty last summer. There were rumors behind the scenes that he was badly outmatched physically during his two VGK rookie development camps. I tend to believe that...just looking at him, he's not someone who looks remotely ready to compete at the NHL level against grown men. He probably weighs 155 soaking wet.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I’m kind of scared of the Kreider trade tbh

We need to get a piece worthy of trading him. Despite all of his shortcomings he’s still a very good player. I think, logicistically, he should be traded, but it’s still gonna hurt. A lot more than it did for any of the other guys for me, tbh.

I really hope we can get a young guy in return who’s ready to contribute next season. Not even necessarily a bluechip, but a guy who is maybe buried on a deep team.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
lets pretend for a second that the cap isn't a factor and you've got the following 15 forwards

zibanejad, panarin, kreider, buchnevich, namestnikov, strome, chytil, andersson, howden, lemieux, kakko, kravtsov, fast, mckegg and nieves

what would your lines be? even without the cap forcing moves its too many guys

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I’m kind of scared of the Kreider trade tbh

We need to get a piece worthy of trading him. Despite all of his shortcomings he’s still a very good player. I think, logicistically, he should be traded, but it’s still gonna hurt. A lot more than it did for any of the other guys for me, tbh.

I really hope we can get a young guy in return who’s ready to contribute next season. Not even necessarily a bluechip, but a guy who is maybe buried on a deep team.

the trade is gonna happen just a matter of when and I agree its the one to be worried about cause he has the most value...others don't have much value so the risk is much lower. thats why imo he's not going to be the trade to get us under the cap. they will get under the cap first and then move him whether it be this summer or at the deadline

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
B. Smith is getting bought out. The 2nd move is likely a trade. But it could also be a 2nd buyout. Rangers will also likely sign one or two more cheap UFAs depending on how this all pans out next week”.

Not much - but this was what I got. Cap compliance is not going to be a problem. Many options. Try to minimize the negative effects of trade(s) or buyout(s). Maximize asset return. Keep optimal roster. JD/JG got this. In Larry’s World, Hell freezes over all the time... take The bus to work next time Columbus is in town.

Last edited:

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
“B. Smith is getting bought out. The 2nd move is likely a trade. But it could also be a 2nd buyout. Rangers will likely sign one or two more cheap UFAs depending on how this pans out next week”.

Not much - this was what I got. Cap compliance is not going to be a problem. Try to minimize the negative effects. Maximize asset return. In Larry’s World, Hell freezes over all the time...

Appreciate the news!

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Honestly hypothetically if Namestnikov was on waivers do we actually think he would clear w only 1 year and 4 million left ?

He’s 26 and is not far removed from solid years ... I will be shocked if he can’t be moved for something ... Doesn’t have to be a lot but he’s moveable

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
According to Capfriendly Rangers now has a cap hit of 82.406.466 with a 22 man roster.
If you buy out Shattenkirk and replace him with DeAngelo at 2 mill the cap hit is 79,239,799.
Sending Beleskey to Hartford and replacing him wth Buchnevich at 3,3 mill gives a cap hit of 81,464,799.
Smith to Hartford and Lindgren to New York and the cap hit is 81,314,799.
Starting Andersson in Hartford and sign Lemieux to 1 mill. in New York gives a cap hit of 81,420,633.

As I tried to say before, to buy out Shattenkirk is enough to clear the cap. No trades or other by outs are needed.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
So any chance we could deal Kreider to Montreal? I'd love to see all the Habs fans doing a 180 on him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
lets pretend for a second that the cap isn't a factor and you've got the following 15 forwards

zibanejad, panarin, kreider, buchnevich, namestnikov, strome, chytil, andersson, howden, lemieux, kakko, kravtsov, fast, mckegg and nieves

what would your lines be? even without the cap forcing moves its too many guys

Mckegg and Nieves would be in Hartford.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
B. Smith is getting bought out. The 2nd move is likely a trade. But it could also be a 2nd buyout. Rangers will also likely sign one or two more cheap UFAs depending on how this all pans out next week”.

Not much - but this was what I got. Cap compliance is not going to be a problem. Many options. Try to minimize the negative effects of trade(s) or buyout(s). Maximize asset return. Keep optimal roster. JD/JG got this. In Larry’s World, Hell freezes over all the time... take The bus to work next time Columbus is in town.
Hmmmm cheap UFA....Boyle? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad