Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIX: To trade or not to trade CK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Shattenkirk would be a good fit on the Dallas Stars. The Stars needed to improve their D. They added Sekera. They need a little more. The Stars had 3 capable D in the playoffs. That hurt them in the 7 game series against the Blues. Johns missed all of last season with headaches but he started skating recently and they expect him to be ready for camp. Shattenkirk would be an improvement over Johns. Klingberg is the their top righty. Polak is their 3rd pair RD. Shattenkirk slides between those two players.

The Rangers send Shattenkirk to the Stars for Johns who has two seasons left at a $2.35M cap hit.

The Stars add $4.3M in commitments. They put Hanzal on long term IR.

The Rangers save $4.3M. Johns is a good player. Maybe the Rangers keep him as their 3rd pair RD with Fox spending some time in the AHL. So many college D turned pro have spent some time playing in the AHL. Maybe the Rangers move Johns in another deal. Or the Rangers put him on waivers hoping to lose the $2.35M or they assign him to the AHL and save another $1,075,000.

Or Shattenkirk for Comeau who has two seasons left at a $2.4M cap hit. The Rangers can shed that contract in another deal. Place him on waivers. Send him to the AHL to save more money.

Brooks keeps writing the Rangers aren't interested in taking back an onerous contract for Shattenkirk.

Beggars can't be choosers.

How about a smaller bad contract where the term remaining matches?

The Stars have 48 SPC's. One for one deal and they add a better player who fills a need for them for $4M plus. Shattenkirk may not be the perfect fit. The Stars have to win now. They signed Pavelski and Perry. Benn is signed to a big contract and they need to win while he has something left. He had just 53 points last season. Radulov is 33. Bishop turns 33 this fall. Benn is 30. Pavelski is 35. Perry is 34.

Reactions: leetch99 and Ola

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The QOs expired on July 15.

QO offers expiring just means that the team has the option to pull the offer off the table and offer the guy less $$ since the QO offer guarantees a raise. there is nothing that says a player can't sign the same deal after that deadline if the team wants to leave it on the table

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There are still more than a few teams who need to make moves. The Rangers, Toronto, Vegas. Edmonton should make other moves. Arizona has been rumored to want to improve. Montreal has a lot of cap space and an aging core.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
There are still more than a few teams who need to make moves. The Rangers, Toronto, Vegas. Edmonton should make other moves. Arizona has been rumored to want to improve. Montreal has a lot of cap space and an aging core.

not to mention all of the big name RFAs that aren't signed yet...alot of the remaining cap space for teams will disappear when those guys get signed so that potentially holding up some deals

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
What about Kreider and Marc Staal (reunite him with his brother so he waives his NTC) to the Wild for a first rounder, Jordan Greenway and Luke Kunin?

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
What about Kreider and Marc Staal (reunite him with his brother so he waives his NTC) to the Wild for a first rounder, Jordan Greenway and Luke Kunin?
I'm game. No chance Minnesota does though.

RB made an interesting Shattenkirk proposal, but again, I don't think Dallas does that without a sweetener on our end.

The move is to send Smith at 50% to a cap basement team for future considerations, buy out as an absolute last measure.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Still think Kreider goes and ends up out west. San Jose or Colorado.

In the East, Boston could use him and they have pieces to make it happen but no cap space. Florida could possibly stand an insulator in the top-six until Tippett proves he's ready.

A top-six forward prospect who is close to ready to making the jump along with a 3rd, or a 1st along with a prospect who is a little further off. I think the Rangers would prefer a better prospect to another 1st round pick at this point.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Chris Kreider on the Rangers roster does not automatically=Stanley Cup contenders. Chris Kreider not on the Rangers roster does not automatically=lottery team.

Kreider playing does not=dominance every game. Kreider on the roster does automatically equate to 82 games.

These scenarios are not mutually exclusive.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
QO offers expiring just means that the team has the option to pull the offer off the table and offer the guy less $$ since the QO offer guarantees a raise. there is nothing that says a player can't sign the same deal after that deadline if the team wants to leave it on the table

Nah, not quite:

“A Qualifying Offer shall automatically expire at 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 15; provided, however, that the Club may by written notice to Central Registry and the NHLPA, sent in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, provided on or before 5:00 p.m. New York time on July 15, extend the deadline for Qualifying Offer acceptance to a date (which must be a fixed and definitive calendar date) determined in its sole discretion.”

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
TDA is going to get the short end of the stick with any contract negotiation. He has reputation as being a hot head and immature and his past doesn't help. The NHL is such a "know your role" league that unless he becomes a 50 point DMan for the next 3-4 years and is a perfect citizen, he's going to be quite the journeyman.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
So what I make of the two tweets about Burdasov is that three offers have been made by the Rangers, Flyers and Panthers. If we do indeed trade Kreider, I could easily see Burdasov replacing Kreider’s role at a much lower cap hit and term. Point production may be a different story though.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So what I make of the two tweets about Burdasov is that three offers have been made by the Rangers, Flyers and Panthers. If we do indeed trade Kreider, I could easily see Burdasov replacing Kreider’s role at a much lower cap hit and term. Point production may be a different story though.

And speed. To my understanding Burdasov is quite slow.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Shattenkirk would be a good fit on the Dallas Stars. The Stars needed to improve their D. They added Sekera. They need a little more. The Stars had 3 capable D in the playoffs. That hurt them in the 7 game series against the Blues. Johns missed all of last season with headaches but he started skating recently and they expect him to be ready for camp. Shattenkirk would be an improvement over Johns. Klingberg is the their top righty. Polak is their 3rd pair RD. Shattenkirk slides between those two players.

The Rangers send Shattenkirk to the Stars for Johns who has two seasons left at a $2.35M cap hit.

The Stars add $4.3M in commitments. They put Hanzal on long term IR.

The Rangers save $4.3M. Johns is a good player. Maybe the Rangers keep him as their 3rd pair RD with Fox spending some time in the AHL. So many college D turned pro have spent some time playing in the AHL. Maybe the Rangers move Johns in another deal. Or the Rangers put him on waivers hoping to lose the $2.35M or they assign him to the AHL and save another $1,075,000.

Or Shattenkirk for Comeau who has two seasons left at a $2.4M cap hit. The Rangers can shed that contract in another deal. Place him on waivers. Send him to the AHL to save more money.

Brooks keeps writing the Rangers aren't interested in taking back an onerous contract for Shattenkirk.

Beggars can't be choosers.

How about a smaller bad contract where the term remaining matches?

The Stars have 48 SPC's. One for one deal and they add a better player who fills a need for them for $4M plus. Shattenkirk may not be the perfect fit. The Stars have to win now. They signed Pavelski and Perry. Benn is signed to a big contract and they need to win while he has something left. He had just 53 points last season. Radulov is 33. Bishop turns 33 this fall. Benn is 30. Pavelski is 35. Perry is 34.
What about Honka

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I agree. I don’t think Gorton wants to start the season with Krieder on his last year. If I’m Gorton I get on the phone with Bergevin and bring him down to earth by telling him to forget about Laine and work on something around Kreider for Suzuki.

Not a huge fan of Suzuki yet, but this does potentially solve a future issue and helps in a position of weakness for us.

That said, the only center I want out of the Habs is Poehling. But I doubt they'd listen even if we added nice sweeteners to Kreider, or Buchnevich. Like one of our lefty D prospects (they'd want Hajek for sure, if not Miller for later, though they need a guy who can potentially play now/very soon) and a pick. We clearly won't give away our first since it'll likely be lottery again. But I'd kick those tires just the same. I'm high on the guy and believe he has 2C (or 1B, whatever) upside. They are too, and it's a position they're weak at as well, so in conclusion...

There's no point to my post. Sorry. =)

I just liked the thought of running with Zibanejad, Poehling, Howden/Chytil, Andersson as center depth. At least one of our three will pan out. Likely two, especially if we're considering them as bottom sixers. Our issue is someone behind Z, and someone who can step up to 2C if that guy has to move up.

As it stands we're building a great roster for the future with a glaring weakness, and an important one at that. This team is a Zibanejad injury away from catastophe. That's fine this year and will let guys compete, show their stuff, all that. I'm all good with having a season like last year... guys getting to know each other, the coach, the system, geling, figuring out who works best where and with whom. All while being competitive enough that it's mostly 1-goal/close games and still getting a lottery pick, maybe getting lucky again and drafting high, top 5 in this deep draft. Of course I'm also quite content seeing them surprise me and be a bubble team, much as I doubt it, since that experience for this young group would be great. But one path potentially resolves some center depth issue and the other doesn't.

We're really going to have to address that, yesterday.

I'd prefer to have a young guy grow with the group then a UFA or trading for a great RFA. Even better would be being able to do both by using our position of strength, which is definitely defense atm and for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: wafflepadsave

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
What about Honka

The problem is Julius Honka is their 9th (or 900th) defensemen on the roster. Montgomery (nor 2 prior HCs) will play him. He is no longer waiver exempt and despite all sorts of DAL injuries, Honka didn't see any icetime after ~New Years.

Stars current top-6

Heiskanen - Klingberg
Lindell - Johns*
Sekera - Polak
Oleksiak - Fedun
Honka

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
If Risto is truely on the block and the way Buffalo has been adding defenceman the past few months it has to be true.

I think Gardiner (RD) has to go first, then Risto (RD), then the door to move Shattenkirk opens up if there is anyone left to dance with.

If guys like Goligoski and Jack Johnson have value to someone than surely Shattenkirk does as well, it just comes down to a matter of price once the Gardiner (cash only/less complicated) and Ristolinan (young/potential/asset swapping complications) shake out. At that point, I don't think beggars can be choosers as long as NYR isn't getting bent over a barrel to subtract him.

Reactions: kovazub94

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If Risto is truely on the block and the way Buffalo has been adding defenceman the past few months it has to be true.

I think Gardiner (RD) has to go first, then Risto (RD), then the door to move Shattenkirk opens up if there is anyone left to dance with.

If guys like Goligoski and Jack Johnson have value to someone than surely Shattenkirk does as well, it just comes down to a matter of price once the Gardiner (cash only/less complicated) and Ristolinan (young/potential/asset swapping complications) shake out. At that point, I don't think beggars can be choosers as long as NYR isn't getting bent over a barrel to subtract him.

Probably all true but can/will the first 2 sort themselves out before buchnevich signs and the buyout window

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Gardiner is LD

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

What about MN. Take Pateryn back .... even retain a bit if that helps she’d say 3 million overall

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I stand corrected.

I still feel like he's the lynch pin as far as D men dominoes. If only because he's a cash only asset.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We need some more fleet of foot 200 ft bottom 6 players

Besides this champion you mean

8476922.jpg

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
As it stands we're building a great roster for the future with a glaring weakness, and an important one at that. This team is a Zibanejad injury away from catastophe.

Can't the same be said for one player on most every team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad