Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIX: To trade or not to trade CK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Gut feeling? Namestnikov, Strome and Buchnevich get moved, Kreider is kept to the trade deadline and gets moved then.
That would be bold. But I also think the team doesn't want to drag Kreider through the season. They seem to feel it was bad doing that last year with Hayes and Zucc. So I suspect they trade Kreider before the season (or re-sign him, though that's pretty unlikely in my opinion).

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I really think Shattenkirk will be moveable in a year and he provides a positive impact on the ice when healthy

Right side by the end of the season should be Trouba, ADA and Fox. I’m all for sending Fox to Hartford to start the season regardless of the camp he has but Shattenkirk has got be moved... by the trade deadline at the latest if not sooner.
I think moving Shattenkirk as well as Namestinkov will require retaining and/or adding a pick/prospect.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I understand the necessity of shedding salary and trading CK.

But there is something very wrong with a business model where you draft a player, invest in his development, put up with his growing pains and, when all that time, effort, and expense finally pays off and you have a legit first line winger in the prime of his career, you feel the need to trade him. This is when we should be reaping the benefits of his productivity.

This is the system and we are stuck with it. But, it is wrong and no way to run a business.

Reactions: Cag29 and egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

But there is something very wrong with a business model where you draft a player, invest in his development, put up with his growing pains and, when all that time, effort, and expense finally pays off and you have a legit first line winger in the prime of his career, you feel the need to trade him. This is when we should be reaping the benefits of his productivity.

This is the system and we are stuck with it. But, it is wrong and no way to run a business.
Then spend less elsewhere if you want to keep him

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Totally agree. I get why the system is in place but it's sad that, as you say, a team develops a player and then had to trade him. Also sad that we root for players to get as little salary as possible. Bizarre. But he we are.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Then spend less elsewhere if you want to keep him
You missed the point. I’m bemoaning a system that is broken: not the Rangers or then predicament they find themselves in. Not a specific situation as with CK, but a systematic failure of the operative business model. Of course they can spend less elsewhere if they want to keep him. But that just serves to point out how illogical and dysfunctional the current system is.

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
You missed the point. I’m bemoaning a system that is broken: not the Rangers or then predicament they find themselves in. Not a specific situation as with CK, but a systematic failure of the operative business model. Of course they can spend less elsewhere if they want to keep him. But that just serves to point out how illogical and dysfunctional the current system is.
Eh, I think more player movement is a good thing

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
That would be bold. But I also think the team doesn't want to drag Kreider through the season. They seem to feel it was bad doing that last year with Hayes and Zucc. So I suspect they trade Kreider before the season (or re-sign him, though that's pretty unlikely in my opinion).

I agree. I don’t think Gorton wants to start the season with Krieder on his last year. If I’m Gorton I get on the phone with Bergevin and bring him down to earth by telling him to forget about Laine and work on something around Kreider for Suzuki.

Reactions: egelband

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I'm in the "Keep Kreider until the Trade Deadline" camp unless some team overpays and blows JG away with a trade offer before the season starts.

Trade Namestnikov/attach an asset or two to trade (or buy out) Smith. That's how they get under with the salary cap with room to spare after signing the RFAs.

Reactions: Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad