Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIX: To trade or not to trade CK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I know these boards can become super doom and gloom with all the emoness around here so I'm gonna just say this.

The Rangers added Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Kravtsov, Shesty and Fox to the roster. I think we can all say things are looking up! More wizardry from GMJG soon and we'll be built for the decade!

Can't wait for next season. Aug. is gonna be a long hockey less month.

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The simple truth is that every really good team has cap issues. Some more pressing than others. Every team has to move out players to stay cap compliant.

That’s not a bad thing. It means you have a really good team.

But the best way to avoid a long term issue is have a pipeline of young players ready to step in. One of the reasons I am bullish on the Rangers future is that they are stocked with prospects, many of whom are in college or Europe with longer fuses.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I know these boards can become super doom and gloom with all the emoness around here so I'm gonna just say this.

The Rangers added Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Kravtsov, Shesty and Fox to the roster. I think we can all say things are looking up! More wizardy from GMJG soon and we'll be built for the decade!

Can't wait for next season. Aug, is gonna be brutal.
In baseball terms, six first division regulars.

Wow.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There is a HUGE difference between Toronto and the Rangers. Toronto barely sold off anyone in their years of ineptitude. Yes, they had high picks who have developed into leaders in their forward group but they are missing the secondary pieces later in the 1st round the Rangers have snagged over the last few years. Nash, McDonagh, Hayes, Zuccarello, Brassard, Stepan, soon to be Kreider. These trades were done at a time when those players still had significant value and allowed Gorton the ability to add those secondary pieces a team like Toronto is missing. It's one of the reasons Gorton is looking like such a genius, he didn't wait too long to make a course correcting decision and he has been able to build depth throughout the system at nearly every position.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Isn't it time to start from scratch with part I? Since it's a new season. Unless we carry on counting because it started with the rebuild

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Toronto signed their big contract in Tavares the year they had to pay Nylander and the year before they had to pay Matthews and Marner.

The Rangers signed Panarin three years before those guys are up for new contracts. And Zibanejad is signed for three years as well. We have massive hits like Hank, Smith, Staal, and Shattenkirk coming off the books before we have to sign any of Mika. Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, Fox, etc.

If the team is any good, of course there’ll be a cap crunch, but Gorton has basically set himself up for three years of a healthy cap.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

The Rangers added Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Kravtsov, Shesty and Fox to the roster. I think we can all say things are looking up! More wizardy from GMJG soon and we'll be built for the decade!

Can't wait for next season. Aug. is gonna be a long hockey less month.

You better stop saying emo or I’ll go Dashboard Confessional on all of your asses.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nest year is most likely not going to be the year the Rangers make the playoffs. Honestly, the teams they are on the bubble with are better than this team is right now. They are probably looking at a year from now or so before they have a legitimate shot of making the playoffs

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
@McCartney I completely forgot about Florida. That'll make 9 teams for 2 spots. Yikes. The East is going to be a dog fight.
Ya man the east is dense right now. Outside of Ottawa, any of the teams making the playoffs wouldn’t shock me. I think a pretty good team is gonna miss next season. Whether it’s us, Buffalo, or even the Capitals or Penguins. I think it’s gonna be crazy, thus my predictions are wild (my top-3 seeds in the metro Carolina/Philly/NYR; subject to change of course).

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Nest year is most likely not going to be the year the Rangers make the playoffs. Honestly, the teams they are on the bubble with are better than this team is right now. They are probably looking at a year from now or so before they have a legitimate shot of making the playoffs

Rangers could make the playoffs next year but it would take ROY caliber performances from Kravtsov and/or Kakko paired with a Vezina caliber season from Hank, as well as performances on the higher end of exceptions for pretty much everyone else.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think these are reasonable goal expectations:

Panarin 25
Zib 25
Buchnevich 20
Kakko 20
Kravtsov 15
Chytil 15
Andersson 10
Namestnikov 10
Strome 10
Fast 10
Lemieux 10
Howden 10
Trouba 5
DeAngelo 5
Shattenkirk 5
Fox 5
Skjei 5
Nieves 5
Hajek 2
Rykov 2
Staal 2

My realistic predictions on the season. That equates to 216 goals. Not enough, even with good goaltending. We need some big time breakouts to make the playoffs.

If Kreider stays, we’re close, but that’s not the right long term decision.

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
what do we all think of ryan strome? is there any chance he could become a 2nd line center? would you have any interest in locking him up to a long-term deal this off season, hoping it blossoms into a great contracts like mika's?

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
what do we all think of ryan strome? is there any chance he could become a 2nd line center? would you have any interest in locking him up to a long-term deal this off season, hoping it blossoms into a great contracts like mika's?

I think Strome will be a cap casualty this off-season or by the deadline this year. Rangers have a log jam of "should be" 2nd line centers in the system. Chytil, Lias or Howden. I think he will be a great fit at 2C to start the year. Give the kids some confidence and make someone take it. I do like him on this team but, just doesn't seem to fit too long term.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
We need some big time breakouts to make the playoffs.

Patience
Hockey_Rangers_President.JPG.jpg

Reactions: egelband

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Unless it's super team friendly and he likes the fit.

Strome strikes me as the type of guy who has bounced around a bit and would b just fine taking a 3-4 year deal for ~$3-3.5m per season with some sort of trade protection. I think he likes it with the Rangers and is a nice utility type of player I'd be okay re-signing. His versatility is a positive and he is a RFA at years end so they will have the opportunity to negotiate exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese