Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2021 Offseason) - “Simple Jack”, "Will over Skill", "Drury in a Hurry"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Edmonton is going to look to beef their roster up around Drai and McDavid, not trade one or both of them to fill out their roster unless they ask for a trade.

Buch would probably be of much interest to them.

I agree, but I'm not sure what they have to trade to beef up their lineup. They need help on D, though they are getting Klefbolm back next year. They have some good young D in Bouchard and Bear so it might be just letting them grow.

Then as you said upfront they need some more quality in the top 9. I don't think there will be a ton of interest in Nuge.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Thinking about Drai also..

Buch-Kreider-Strome-1st for Drai

I wish, but I think if the Oilers did make him available, you'd be looking at one of Laff or Kakko, Buch and Miller (or if the Oilers want more depth, Jones and Lundkvist). I don't think they'd want picks.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I would love to see McDavid in Rangers blue but I’m scared to think what it would do to the rest of the roster.

Reactions: leetch99

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Is it too unrealistic to expect Will Cuylle to compete for a roster spot next year? Because he's the type of gritty yet skilled player that we could use.

considering Cuylle had a good sample size in his short stint as a 1st year pro in Hartford.

Milan Lucic made the NHL at the age of 19 2ed round pick 60 overall
Will Cuyle also 60th overall, can be that same type of player. Cuyle had 2 20 + goal seasons in the OHL, something Lucic did not do in the WHL, only scored 30, and the rest of the WHL was single digit in goals.

I don't see why Cuylle can't get a few games in preseason to see if he is ready

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Is it too unrealistic to expect Will Cuylle to compete for a roster spot next year? Because he's the type of gritty yet skilled player that we could use.

I think Cuylle & Schneider both have good chances to be with the Rangers next year. Maybe not on the opening night roster, but they showed well in HFD and play the type of tough game the team needs more of.

Barron-Goodrow-Cuylle could be a handful to deal with as 4th line

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
yes, probably.

if you bring him up now you risk his skill level being underdeveloped, could hurt his long term development.

not that they are similar players but I think you get a tom wilson situation if you bring cuylle up now. tom wilson was an awful player until he was like 24 and IMO it's because they brought him up too early to hit and fight, not to play NHL hockey. would rather not do that with cuylle

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When did I ever say either of those things?

You consistently misrepresent people’s ideas and then call them stupid for them. I assume it’s trolling, but, maybe it’s something else?
Oh, I don't know. Maybe it is the belief that development was kicked down the r0ad?

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Not at all the place for this discussion, but I have to share. I am from NJ. Been moving around the country for the last 7 years or so and am currently in VA outside of DC.

The pandemic resulted in basically all of my friends who were still in the city moving to NJ. Even had some friends who had been living in CA for years return. Needless to say, I’ve been seriously thinking about heading back so that we can all be together again.

Then I look at property taxes and remember why I left. The area in which I live now is very expensive. I could probably trade my townhouse for a nice SFH in northern NJ based solely on list price.

But when accounting for property taxes, I’d be looking at another ~$1k/month in negative cash flow, which of course would last forever. No exaggeration, I pay about $6k/yr here and most places I see on Zillow in areas I am interest have taxes in the $15-20k/yr range.

Weather and amenities are probably a wash (winter here is slightly milder, summer a bit hotter and more humid).

It’s crazy how much variation there is on the value of a dollar when moving around this country.

You are not alone. Property taxes in NY,NJ are out of control. When you see people leaving for Florida, Georgia or the Carolinas and they are paying 2k, 3k or even 4k a year in property taxes while getting a bigger nicer home its kind of crazy thinking you are going to pay 10k more a year for less.

I know way too many people that left and will never come back for it.

Reactions: Synergy27

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Mason Geersten has a better chance of making the Rangers opening night roster than McDavid or anyone with that skill set does

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
You are not alone. Property taxes in NY,NJ are out of control. When you see people leaving for Florida, Georgia or the Carolinas and they are paying 2k, 3k or even 4k a year in property taxes while getting a bigger nicer home its kind of crazy thinking you are going to pay 10k more a year for less.

I know way too many people that left and will never come back for it.
I'm one of those ppl. Moved to south of Richmond. Went from paying over $10k/year for a 0.16 acre 1350 square foot ranch to paying $4800 for 1/3 acre much larger house.

Not to mention the overall cost of living is significantly less. Cost of groceries for example are about 25% less then in the metro NY area.

It's crazy.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
They tried to trade him, couldn't, so they signed him because it was either that or let him walk, he was always a liability in his own end, his point totals were elevated by Panarin and Zibanejad being all world players, when they struggled his points went to nothing and what you were left with was a defensive liability. Was he any good in the bubble....absolutely not....was he any good to start this year, probably worse if thats possible. Did anyone claim him off waivers? Nope. Did anyone trade for him, nope.
Who were the GM's that said they were called by Gorton in trade talks before they signed him ? Most internet posters are not privy to that info from GM's .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad