Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2021 Offseason) - “Simple Jack”, "Will over Skill", "Drury in a Hurry"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So what do we offer for McDavid now that the Oilers have once again imploded?
Salary relief. B prospect. Something like that. Gauthier? just thinking out loud. We might need him fit the expansion draft so I’m not sure. I’d like to do the deal after the expansion draft, now that I’m thinking about it. So we don’t have to protect McDavis or whatever his name is.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Makes sense. I don't know that I'd bring in three more beyond ROR as you indicated above. Swapping out Strome for a grittier player is one step. Once there, I'm pretty comfortable with the four primary centers (Zib/ROR/Chytil/Barron). I'd bring in more grit for the 4th line, to play with Barron. Beyond that, I think the team needs to choose two of the three right wings (Buch, Kakko, and Kravtsov), and then move whoever gets the short straw for a top six developmental center (sadly, as he's one of my favorites on the team, it would probably be Buch due to money, age, and trade value). Hopefully they can get a first rounder for Strome.

Would give us:

Panarin--Zib--Kakko
Laf--ROR--Kravtsov
Kreider--Chytil--Gaut (or a new signing)
X-- Barron-- Blackwell
I would at the very least be bringing in Goodrow and Coleman. They may not be “heavy” hitters but they skate well, they finish checks, forecheck great, solid PKers, can chip in offensively, and overall make the team much harder to play against. That is the ultimate goal. To be a bitch to play against every night. Goodrow can also take faceoffs.

And I dont have Barron as a legit center. Definitely not right now. I dont even have Chytil as a center. I would put Chytil in a deal for Hertl or Larkin. And I would have RoR be the 3rd line center next to Kreider. It would be ideal to get STL to retain some money on RoR which could be possible with only 2 years left. Maybe retain $1-$1.5 million aav per year.

Out: Buch, Strome, Chytil, Howden, Gauthier, Jones/Robertson, Picks

In: ROR, Hertl/Larkin, Coleman, Goodrow

Lafreniere-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Hertl/Larkin-Kravtsov
Kreider-ROR-Coleman
Barron-Goodrow-Blackwell

I think Boyle will get some consideration for 4C/13th forward. Lindholm another option for 2C.

And yes all that can fit under the cap.

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So what do we offer for McDavid now that the Oilers have once again imploded?

How about we stop trying to trade for losing players and try to bring in a culture of winning? Enough with the McDavid's, Eichel's, and Larkin's. Tampa needs cap space. What about Palat? Or Killorn? Vegas has cap issues. How about Reilly Smith? What about Jonathan Toews if he's back and able to play? We need guys who know what it takes to win and not those who wilt under the first sign of pressure and want to bolt to a different team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The right long-term solution might already be on the roster as well. I saw a bunch of folks clamoring for Hertl on the trade board. Chytil's 21 year old season was actually better than Hertl's. Bringing in an O'Reilly allows Chytil to continue progressing, working on his faceoffs and defensive play, filling out a bit more, and (as the young wingers develop) playing with some veterans on his line for a change of pace. In two years, we may be looking at any number of potentialities for those top two center spots.

I still also want the team to cash in some of our excess D pipeline to pick up a Newhook or a Turcotte this offseason.

I agree for sure.

I -- really -- don't think the solution to this team's problem is getting a top 6 offensive vet. We need to improve our depth, become much harder to play against. Do we have a 1st line C that can win? Do we have a 2nd line C that can win? A no 3 D? Starting goalie?There is not a single position on our roster today that "must" be upgraded.

Here are three key's to winning a cup, if a move doesn't help us enable them it shouldn't be made:
1. Having an offensive punch while being able to maintain it and keep it under the cap.
2. Having depth in terms of players in their prime that work hard, must get along with 1. under the cap.
3. Having a great team atmostphere. Should be fun to come to the ice. The players should be really proud of being a Ranger, in our case. Everyone should be able to do anything to win.

In no, way shape or form is obtaining the top offensive punch required, in no way shape or form does it help to bring in a vet that is paid market-value or around it. Market-value cannot be accepted. At any time, we can improve our roster if we had cap space. The only way to get better is to get players below market value.

Hertl? Grinder UFAs from the contending teams? All these are clear no-gos for me.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
For absolutely no reason other than being a child of Soviets i want to sign Ovi lmao. Just to say the Great 8 donned a Rangers jersey. I know it’s dumb and ill advised but man that would be a childhood dream come true.

I had the same dream about Dominik Hasek late in his career.

Im a little surprised OV hasn’t put pen to paper yet on an extension with the Capitals. Maybe they were waiting until the offseason.

In either event a lethal right handed shot from the left wing isn’t exactly something we are short on.

Edit- I guess he is waiting to re sign until after the expansion draft for protection purposes

Reactions: LaffyTaffy

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
For absolutely no reason other than being a child of Soviets i want to sign Ovi lmao. Just to say the Great 8 donned a Rangers jersey. I know it’s dumb and ill advised but man that would be a childhood dream come true.
It has vintage Rangers all over it. Signing a superstar player on the decline who doesn’t live up to past expectations. I can totally see Dolan being all in for the jersey and ticket sales.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
If you don't think a full year of Tony , before he went off the rails and Panarin and a new coach would not have made any difference...well....I am far from alone on that boat matey !

Tony had started going off the rails before the season started. What happened with Gorgi was just the icing on the cake. He buried himself plain and simple even though some of you refuse to recognize and move on. Furthermore this team's weaknesses were exposed big time the last 2 weeks of the season when they got manhandled by the Bruins, Isles and Caps. None of this would have been different with Panarin or Tony. We just got physically beat up.

Reactions: zephyr

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Finding someone new is just a flawed and wastes time of prime assets if it doesn't work. You have to catch lightning in a bottle someone special as a rookie NHL coach with no time in the league at any level and have that person be exceptional. They don't have the respect of the refs or the players. They don't have years of learning opposing players tendencies and utilizing that info.

At the least, with veteran coaches, like players, they learn and hone there craft over time. Well, some do. Even some of the legendary coaches bounced around a bit before they got on a team with the right chemistry to make something happen.

Every year there are 31 coaches on 31 teams that didn't work out. Its as much of a crap shoot and educated guess as the draft. Experience and understanding win more often than not.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Eichel is a poor buy. You'll get no argument from me there.

But are people really trying to put McDavid in the same basket? Edmonton won't move him, but if he's available they can have anyone.
Yeah not wanting to acquire McDavid in his prime would be like not wanting to acquire Gretzky or Lemeiux in their primes. He's that absurdly good.

Obviously you don't want to decimate your organization and become the Oilers, but we honestly have a solid enough foundation that I would comfortably tell them they can have anyone they want.

I'd try my hardest to keep Fox and Lafreniere but I'd figure one of them would have to go. I'd assume they want Shesterkin and as much as I like him, see ya later Igor.

Kakko, Shesterkin, Chytil, Lundkvist and 2 firsts? I don't even know where the value on McDavid would be at, it would honestly be dictated by what teams are willing to offer I guess.

Reactions: egelband

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Some interesting tidbits on the Blues' offseason priorities in the Athletic:

7. Any trades to be had?
Dunn, who missed the end of the season with what was believed to be a concussion, was on the trade block earlier in the season. He’ll be a restricted free agent with arbitration rights, so it’s likely the Blues will be re-exploring the option of moving him this season.
What about Thomas? It was not the breakout season he had in mind, in part because of injuries. But is there space for him in the top six if they’re playing Schenn in the middle? If not, does Thomas want to be here? The Blues might want to find out what’s available while the 21-year-old’s potential is still high.

8. Assess restricted free agents
Thomas will be a restricted free agent this summer, and the Blues will have six other RFAs: Dunn, Barbashev, Kyrou, Zach Sanford, Dakota Joshua and Jacob de la Rose. It’s likely all of those players will be back, assuming they’re not taken in the expansion draft.
Some may argue that Sanford needs a change of scenery, but the Blues probably don’t have that same opinion. Joshua is a player whom the Blues will have to give more ice time to next season.

In the comments some fans seem to want to "start the rebuild" with some advocating for a tear down. Rutherford doesn't see a tear down on the table - "The Blues have made their bed with the long contracts that are now in place. They can (emphasizing can) still be a good team with those players, but if Armstrong wants to mix things up, he will have to change around them." So ROR or Schenn seems unlikely. Rutherford has a scoring winger (ideally LW) and size on D as the key needs for the Blues.

The Blues' 10 biggest offseason priorities as an important summer begins

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Some interesting tidbits on the Blues' offseason priorities in the Athletic:

In the comments some fans seem to want to "start the rebuild" with some advocating for a tear down. Rutherford doesn't see a tear down on the table - "The Blues have made their bed with the long contracts that are now in place. They can (emphasizing can) still be a good team with those players, but if Armstrong wants to mix things up, he will have to change around them." So ROR or Schenn seems unlikely. Rutherford has a scoring winger (ideally LW) and size on D as the key needs for the Blues.

The Blues' 10 biggest offseason priorities as an important summer begins
They should also go back in time and give Pietrangelo whatever he wanted.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Do you think Gallant's lack of success so far in the IIHF has hurt his chances at the Rangers job?
If i didnt know any better id think major teams were just throwing games away at this tourney. Quality of play has been awful across the grid and teams are weak. It’s not important at all and will definitely not have any impact on the recruitment process.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Oilers might be willing to have some discussions regarding Drai? They need quality depth. Can build around McDavid with the pieces from the Drai trade, but I'd assume they'd want NHL level players in return.

To me, if Drai was available, the only player off the table would be Fox.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Edmonton is going to look to beef their roster up around Drai and McDavid, not trade one or both of them to fill out their roster unless they ask for a trade.

Buch would probably be of much interest to them.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Oilers might be willing to have some discussions regarding Drai? They need quality depth. Can build around McDavid with the pieces from the Drai trade, but I'd assume they'd want NHL level players in return.

To me, if Drai was available, the only player off the table would be Fox.

Thinking about Drai also..

Buch-Kreider-Strome-1st for Drai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad