Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I agree, and definitely a major recipe for disaster to target players like Hyman in free agency, or at all if they played for any of the teams that gets the most attention around the league. There are many players like this around the league and they are valuable, but they get so glorified when they play on the better teams that goes deep into the POs.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is what I was getting at earlier in the thread. It’s easy to see the value players like Coleman and Goodrow bring to a winning team. That’s why subsequent teams fight and overpay for them.

These players are unique, but not “special”. There are other guys doing the same thing in obscurity (on bad teams, in different leagues, etc.). Go find them, bring them in for cheap, and pay your stars. Don’t mess with tweeners like PDG who are mediocre at everything. Find guys that are really good at a couple of “low skill” things and let them work.

Reactions: NYRKING30 and Ola

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
From what I’m gathering is trading everyone would be a mistake despite the Rangers being completely 1 dimensional. Something has to give. Now I wouldn’t just trade guys away for guys we can sign to fill those roles but a guy drafted 9th and 21st shouldn’t be playing third line minutes so what’s the solution?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
This is what I was getting at earlier in the thread. It’s easy to see the value players like Coleman and Goodrow bring to a winning team. That’s why subsequent teams fight and overpay for them.

These players are unique, but not “special”. There are other guys doing the same thing in obscurity (on bad teams, in different leagues, etc.). Go find them, bring them in for cheap, and pay your stars. Don’t mess with tweeners like PDG who are mediocre at everything. Find guys that are really good at a couple of “low skill” things and let them work.

isn’t Goodrow making 925K? I see him getting a raise obviously but maybe 2.25M which isn’t bad for a 3rd liner who can play both wing and center?

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I just dont understand trading Chytil. He's trended as one of the best players from his class every season. Majority of the centers people have thrown out there scored at the same pace at the same age so I just cant wrap my head around it. He's not a finished product at 21 years old. Let the kids grow

Reactions: Dijock94

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
From what I’m gathering is trading everyone would be a mistake despite the Rangers being completely 1 dimensional. Something has to give. Now I wouldn’t just trade guys away for guys we can sign to fill those roles but a guy drafted 9th and 21st shouldn’t be playing third line minutes so what’s the solution?

Seems like an overreaction to a post about a guy who is 21 years old and has increased his PPG year over year quite significantly since he entered the league.

Reactions: Pidto Files

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Something needs to change but that doesn't mean panicking and trading good players for trash. Chytil was a .5 PPG player and probably has .75 PPG potential with more minutes and PP time.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I agree, and definitely a major recipe for disaster to target players like Hyman in free agency, or at all if they played for any of the teams that gets the most attention around the league. There are many players like this around the league and they are valuable, but they get so glorified when they play on the better teams that goes deep into the POs.

Not many of those type of players produce like Hyman does. But yea him @5+ is a recipe for disaster. Wonder if he would take 4M AAV on a frontloaded contract. I don't see both Strome and Buch on this team next year so there might be some flexibility.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Put the guy who was 9th on the PP and give the guy who was drafted 21st on the PK. Their minutes will build from there.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
isn’t Goodrow making 925K? I see him getting a raise obviously but maybe 2.25M which isn’t bad for a 3rd liner who can play both wing and center?
That’s what I’m saying paying him Rousell money isn’t gonna break us. I can’t think of a better guy to attach on Barron’s wing if they are hell bent on keeping him at center. If you need a big face off win and Barron isn’t doing well that game or having trouble with face offs, Goodrow could provide assistance.
The way I see it the rangers are going to have 2 main scoring lines
1A
1B
A talented 3rd line with kreider on LW that would look like most teams 2nd lines.
I would love our 4th to be
Goodrow-Barron - Blackwell/Rueschhoff.
Maybe in a year Cuylle could fill the RW on that line I don’t know

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trading Chytil in a package for the right upgrade makes sense.

Trading Chytil just to “shake things up” or for grinder depth would be a terrible move. Chytil had a pretty darn good season all things considered IMO.

I am betting on it, I definitely put my money on Ziba, Strome and Chytil being our top 3 centers next season. It is going to be very hard to make a move at center ice.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Trading Chytil in a package for the right upgrade makes sense.

Trading Chytil just to “shake things up” or for grinder depth would be a terrible move. Chytil had a pretty darn good season all things considered IMO.

Between the arm injury, COVID, and the time needed to get back up to full speed (even after returning), I fail to see how anyone can classify this season for him as anything but positive

Reactions: Pidto Files

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Chytil was one of the bigger positive surprises this year. He definitely improved and is starting to grow into being a player that will be effective.

If there is a strong push made to move Laf to center, moving him in a good value trade might be possible. But what if you trade him for a rugged winger now, Strome is lost for cost reasons next season. Ziba has concussion issues. Our depth chart at center wouldn't be super pretty.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, this is tricky for sure Kravy made a really good push late. Buch is honestly getting better all the time. I mean honestly, if Buch keeps getting better every season, what is stopping him from like reaching Mark Stone territory?

Kakko and Laf must play.

How do you add that rugged element that we must add, if there is no room on the roster for it?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Trading Chytil for size and grit would be moronic. Who writes this crap
Facts. I'm on board with adding more vertical play to our line up, but last night's lacrosse game from the defending champions should remind us that we should pump the breaks on the whole "finesse doesn't work in the playoffs" thing.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That’s what I’m saying paying him Rousell money isn’t gonna break us. I can’t think of a better guy to attach on Barron’s wing if they are hell bent on keeping him at center. If you need a big face off win and Barron isn’t doing well that game or having trouble with face offs, Goodrow could provide assistance.
The way I see it the rangers are going to have 2 main scoring lines
1A
1B
A talented 3rd line with kreider on LW that would look like most teams 2nd lines.
I would love our 4th to be
Goodrow-Barron - Blackwell/Rueschhoff.
Maybe in a year Cuylle could fill the RW on that line I don’t know

Adding Goodrow & Tomas Nosek to the bottom 6 would do wonders for this team even without any major top 6 changes

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Facts. I'm on board with adding more vertical play to our line up, but last night's lacrosse game from the defending champions should remind us that we should pump the breaks on the whole "finesse doesn't work in the playoffs" thing.

I don't think this is the game you want to be using as your example for this though.

They pushed back just as hard as they got pushed in this game. 2 years ago they would have crawled into a ball and begged for mercy.

But yeah, Trading Chytil for GRIT would be dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad