Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I mean, you said it. We had the guy. I think being able to identify and develop this type of player has always been a strong suit of this organization. Instead of trying to turn Kakko and Laf into that kind of player we should be finding the next one to ride shotgun with them.

Hagelin. Fast. They know how to do it.

you need to draft and develop those guys. but those guys also take time to develop. so its not an either or situation, its more of a do both. where you sign vets to limited term deals to help the team now, while drafting and developing those guys with the hope that in 2-3 years when those free agent contracts expire those kids are ready to step in and fill the roles from within.

doing it the right way takes time and patience isn't a virtue that dolan has right now...plugging those spots with ufas might not be the perfect option but it is preferable over trading away kids in panic moves to plug them.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I really hope Drury is using some of his available time to open the communication lines to Ron Francis.

I think that their are many circumstances that could turn us into perfect business partners.

Seattle don’t have any draft picks the last 4 years, of course. That unevenness isn’t optimal from a contingency POV. Some of our D depth for example should be valuable to them.

Someone like Buch (and Kravy?) should also be really value able to them. That type of top end ability isn’t left unprotected in the expansion draft. Centers are always hard to get. Strome?

OTOH, we are looking for elite physical depth. Those guys aren’t traded without overpayment. Hitting the UFA market to get them is insane, always the worst contracts.

What is say Buch and Robertson worth for Seattle? Two guys of choice (that suits us and Seattle should have an abundance of no matter what) from the unprotected list of other teams? Strome?

Three moves that I think really turn us around as a team.
-Seattle take Blackwood
-Trade for a real goon, Reeves if we can or someone else if they won’t give up him
-Trade Buch, Strome and Robertson to Seattle for Nolan Patrick, Trent Frederick and Logan Stanley (or players like that).

Slide Laf over to center.

Panarin-Laf-Patrick
Kravy-Ziba-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Frederick
Barron-Rooney-Reeves
Lindgren-Fox
KAM-Trouba
Stanley-Nils

That would be a really tough team.

I'm allllll for trading Buch and Strome.

But not for that.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I will leave it to others to name the players we should acquire this offseason to address the shortcomings but these are the cold facts:

1. Kreider is not going anywhere and as some other poster put it perfectly this thought should be put to rest for the next 3 years plain and simple. We can debate which line he belongs on but not being traded.
  2. If Strome or FC is the number 2 center going into next season we will not be any better. First I would trade Strome. I just don't think he is a good center points aside. As for FC I doubt the organization will entrust him with the number 2 center position since he really hasn't proven he belongs there. Sorry but don't think he has vision and playmaking ability to be a number 2. I also think that organization realizes they need a legit guy in the middle to make the next step.
  3. I love our young talent on D but think we need a crusty hard nosed veteran back there to compliment. I like Miller's size but wish he would play more physical. Heck if he was 70% of what Chara was I would take it but I haven't seen that yet.
  4. As many of you have mentioned bottom 6 needs overhaul. If Howden is on this team next year it is a bad sign.
  5. Finally we need to dump ADA even if we donate him to Goodwill. I am so sick of reading about him.
I'm not as resolute on Strome and Chytil as you are but your other points are spot on.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
FLA is a perfect example of how diversifying your talent pool and improving your depth can do wonders. We all seem to want Coleman and Goodrow to help in that department, but they’ll be highly sort after (even with the flat cap) just given their playoff runs with Tampa. Hyman will likely be the most expensive of the bunch.

However, there is more than enough quality bottom 6 talent out there for us to do some damage. Foligno, Bonino, Kuraly, Csizikas, Nosek, Paquette, Martinook, Haula. There is no excuse for not coming away with 1-2 of these players to help balance our lineup, just in FA.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
you need to draft and develop those guys. but those guys also take time to develop. so its not an either or situation, its more of a do both. where you sign vets to limited term deals to help the team now, while drafting and developing those guys with the hope that in 2-3 years when those free agent contracts expire those kids are ready to step in and fill the roles from within.

doing it the right way takes time and patience isn't a virtue that dolan has right now...plugging those spots with ufas might not be the perfect option but it is preferable over trading away kids in panic moves to plug them.
I don’t necessarily agree. I think those players are out there to find. It’s a matter of prioritizing a play style and then going out to acquire it.

Im not trying to say it’s easy to do, but it’s certainly easier than finding elite top end talent.

Reactions: leetch99

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I really hope Drury is using some of his available time to open the communication lines to Ron Francis.

I think that their are many circumstances that could turn us into perfect business partners.

Seattle don’t have any draft picks the last 4 years, of course. That unevenness isn’t optimal from a contingency POV. Some of our D depth for example should be valuable to them.

Someone like Buch (and Kravy?) should also be really value able to them. That type of top end ability isn’t left unprotected in the expansion draft. Centers are always hard to get. Strome?

OTOH, we are looking for elite physical depth. Those guys aren’t traded without overpayment. Hitting the UFA market to get them is insane, always the worst contracts.

What is say Buch and Robertson worth for Seattle? Two guys of choice (that suits us and Seattle should have an abundance of no matter what) from the unprotected list of other teams? Strome?

-Seattle take Blackwood
-Trade for a real goon, Reeves if we can or someone else if they won’t give up him
-Trade Buch, Strome and Robertson to Seattle for Nolan Patrick, Trent Frederick and Logan Stanley (or players like that).

Panarin-Laf-Patrick
Kravy-Ziba-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Frederick
Barron-Rooney-Reeves
Lindgren-Fox
KAM-Trouba
Stanley-Nils

this is crazy, but it actually works

Reactions: Ola

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don’t necessarily agree. I think those players are out there to find. It’s a matter of prioritizing a play style and then going out to acquire it.

Im not trying to say it’s easy to do, but it’s certainly easier than finding elite top end talent.

but again who? its easy to say that they are out there, but you not only need to identify them but also need for their teams to not realize that they have. I'm 100% on board for that kind of thinking but it feels like a lot of hoping and wishing too. but i'm all for it if you can find options that teams are willing to move.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

-Seattle take Blackwood

Panarin-Laf-Patrick
Kravy-Ziba-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Frederick
Barron-Rooney-Reeves
Lindgren-Fox
KAM-Trouba
Stanley-Nils

Anyone that Seattle can acquire in the expansion draft is probably available for trade for the Rangers right now.

What I’d really like to see is if the Rangers can upgrade their 7th forward and 3rd defenseman spots on the expansion protection with a couple of timely trades. The best opportunity may be to get an experienced defenseman like Mattias Ekholm or Mark Giordano, both of whom may not be protected.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I just hate how playoff series seem to always be decided by a weird bounce or some nonsense goal. It’s the nature of the beast when the teams are evenly matched I guess. I do prefer to watch “pretty” hockey though. Always have - that’s why I’m a Ranger fan instead of a (Jacques Lemaire) Devils fan.

Did you watch the Florida Tampa game tonight? Absolute bonkers, amazing playoff hockey game.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

-Seattle take Blackwood

Panarin-Laf-Patrick
Kravy-Ziba-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Frederick
Barron-Rooney-Reeves
Lindgren-Fox
KAM-Trouba
Stanley-Nils

Not a fan to trade Buch at all to be honest - I rather move Kreider`s contract instead if it was possible..
Strome however I don`t care - I think Drury need to move him at March Treade deadline in 2022 and profit next draft, because I think we need 2 seasons for playoffs with a completely new direction and coaching staff.

I also believe we need to center Laf as soon as possible and when the new season start, we need him in that center position.;)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Obviously that's preferable but how easy is it? We actually had Goodrow in our development camp and cut him.
I have no problem with that. But it is very important we identify one of these players while they are young like Wood on the devils or Frederic on the bruins and trade for them or use Free agency to sign Goodrow. Hyman won’t leave Toronto. It’s a great situation for him and he’s home. Coleman, I would want the least. Spending big money on another wing is not a good idea. I’m still a big proponent of Goodrow. He can play next to Barron, won’t cost a ton and is a beast at face offs if we need him to be.
We have no one in our current team or in our system that plays this hard nosed top end bottom 6 style. It’s fine that we draft for high end talent but we are going to need 1-2 of these guys in our bottom 6 for years to come. It’s important that they be able to play hockey, forecheck, cycle the puck, and go to the net for dirty goals and stand up for teammates. Them being good penalty killers is important too.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Nolan Patrick lmao
What is wrong with Nolah Patricko, pog. :DD

We are not showcasing Buch; he is almost PPG this season; what is going on HF recently.. He is only 26 years with the most deadly shot, no f***ing way. Take Wedding Brendan Smith and remove that cap, and send Strome packing instead. ;)

Pavel Buchnevich Stats and News

And we can replace Brendan Smith & Strome contracts while moving Laf. in that center position which he should last season; so we wasted one year of development on our #1 overall pick.

Alexis Lafrenière Stats and News

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
but again who? its easy to say that they are out there, but you not only need to identify them but also need for their teams to not realize that they have. I'm 100% on board for that kind of thinking but it feels like a lot of hoping and wishing too. but i'm all for it if you can find options that teams are willing to move.
I don’t have to do anything. The team with all the resources in the world other than cap space should be doing it.

AHL tweeners. Euros. College FAs. These players are out there.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If we allow those players to determine the style we play, we will NEVER win
I hate to break it to you but if you traded for Fox & drafted Lafreniere and Kakko to be grinders you're going to be disappointed.

Again, my stance is that one way is no way at all. Sometimes we're going to have to be finesse sometimes we're going to have to grind it out, out work, out hustle, bang in garbage rebounds.

But these are talented kids and if we're going to win with them, we better see that talent come out.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’m convinced Ola started smoking meth, or someone has hacked his account.

@Ola — bark once like a barn owl if you’re ok. Or twice as a brown owl if troubles brewing!

Full disclosure, I just checked and can't believe that Trent Fredrerick only is 4+1 despite playing almost the entire year in Boston. I thought he had been much much better. ;)

Nolan Patrick? I thought he was a bad pick and I had him lower than he went that draft year -- but it is a tough league to play in for a kid and he missed a lot of time during those super important years at 18-20. The 17' draft is well covered. From the 18' draft, Kotkaniemi is like at 0.35 PPG, Hayton has 7 in 34, Zadina is still struggling mightly, Kravy and Wahlstrom haven't scored at all basically, Kaut, Lundeström and Velano haven't scored.

Kids shouldn't be rushed to the NHL if they are not ready, or per definition they almost never are, but if teams can't afford to give them meaningful time, they should be left somewhere else to develop.

Ultimately, I think Patrick still has every opportunity to become a serviceable rugged RHS winger, or maybe even center, in the right environment.

But substitute the names, they wheren't the basis of my post. My point is just, we should be able to get 2-3 players from them in a trade that really would make sense for us, and we can offer them players and assets that makes a lot of sense for them.

Check the players expected to be left exposed in the draft, many players that fits the bill for what we are looking at.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Anyone that Seattle can acquire in the expansion draft is probably available for trade for the Rangers right now.

What I’d really like to see is if the Rangers can upgrade their 7th forward and 3rd defenseman spots on the expansion protection with a couple of timely trades. The best opportunity may be to get an experienced defenseman like Mattias Ekholm or Mark Giordano, both of whom may not be protected.

Great point.

One thing, I expected a lot of trades like this to take place before the Vegas draft. I.e. a team bound to expose a good player dealing that player for assets they wouldn't lose. But there were surprisingly few, if any, trades like this. I definitely think the GMs will be better prepared for this expansion draft, so there should be some openings.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad