Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2019/2020) - DeAngelo and Lemieux Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staal and Girardi were more of a Sather thing, but like I said, it's certainly a valid argument that Gorton has simply always been irresponsible with contracts.

The Smith and Shattenkirk deals are strikes against him in that regard.

Staal and G were 1000000% Sather things. The mistake was not being okay with letting those guys walk. We should have traded and replaced Staal at the deadline in 2015 or at most, treated him as our own rental. Ditto G the year prior.

Smith was a contract that many people here were against from the get-go but I can't put the Shattenkirk deal on him. 4 years for a guy with his resume is a pretty solid deal. Had Shatty been adamant on getting term/dollars, we wouldn't have gotten him.

It didn't work out, but hating on that contract is only something that can be done with the gift of hindsight (unless you were against it when it was signed, which maybe 1% of this board was.) It wasn't on the level of the other 3, certainly not the Staal/Girardi contracts which were both disastrous deals before the ink dried.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I have a gut feeling Kravstov is going to steal some of Kakko’s thunder this year. In no way do I expect him to be the superior player and I don’t think he’ll actually out produce Kaako this year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a really solid rookie year, putting up some pretty similar numbers to Kakko while playing on a lesser line. I also think he’ll have a few highlight reel moments that make him an instant fan favorite. Going forward, I’m positive Kakko has the higher ceiling and floor but speaking only of this upcoming season I could see Kravstov being a bit of a sleeper who surprises, in the sense that everyone around the league will be watching Kakko and Kravstov will end up looking dangerous while flying under the radar.

Hope I’m right. Definitely would be nice if those two both have very solid starts to their careers. I think Chytil is far and away the most likely previous youngster to breakout as well. I could see anything from 50-65 points in reach depending on usage and line mates.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Loki- Great post.

If nothing else, I don’t think you can overstate the meaning for these guys to have each other. It’s hard to specify why, but besides taking pressure from each other, it’s just such an extremely more healthy environment for a young male to compete with another young guy on a daily basis, than to compete with some kind of fictional goal set up by everyone around the team.

It’s of course not something you can count on, but the impact of that can be extreme. Take the MoDo kids born in like 73’-74’ for example. A city that statistically should produce a NHLer once every 5th year (if they do an AAA+++ job at it), all of a sudden produces like what 10 from one junior team, of which two becomes top 1-2 players in the NHL. They just pushed each other.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Okay, but this assumes Namestnikov was given $4M to be a "warm body" and not because the team thought he had redeeming qualities. I mean, do you actually believe Gorton's thought process was, "this does nothing for me now, this does nothing for me later, but who cares because we're rebuilding"? That line of thinking would kind of imply that Gorton is an idiot, which he is not. Maybe the way he values players is off or something, but he's not just throwing money away for ****s and giggles as you seem to suggest.

Who are the league minimum free agents that can replicate Namestnikov and Skjei?
I think u have to honestly think that Gorton was trying to turn Names into another asset. I highly doubt he or anyone else thought he’d be the same player away from Stamkos and Kuch... who would? In giving him a 2-year deal he was trying to recoup another asset(s) which he still can. I hated the term as much as anyone but I understand his thought process.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
If it were the early 90's, I'd be waiting for the Topps/OPC Young Guns Card with Kaako and Kravstov in some crappy cowboy pose, showing off their dual 30 goal rookie seasons and 1-2 voting in the Calder Race. That is of course if they weren't run out of town for being soft Euros and traded for former Oilers.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think u have to honestly think that Gorton was trying to turn Names into another asset. I highly doubt he or anyone else thought he’d be the same player away from Stamkos and Kuch... who would? In giving him a 2-year deal he was trying to recoup another asset(s) which he still can. I hated the term as much as anyone but I understand his thought process.
Yeah from the day he gave those deals to Namestnikov and Spooner, I thought it was pretty apparent he wanted to eventually flip them. Same for Vesey. He did turn Spooner into something of some value, he turned Vesey into a decent pick, and he hasn't yet been able to do anything with Namestnikov (but may still be able to). You can disagree with the strategy or say he misread the market, but this talk of him essentially being clueless or not caring how money is spent is wayyyy off-base, if you ask me. He has a strategy, it hasn't always worked. OK, welcome to being a GM.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I get the feeling that the Rangers as an organization saw their 'rebuild' lasting last season and this season until they hit the lottery and were handed Kaako. That would fall directly in line with giving short term 2-year deals to guys like Spooner and Namestnikov and would also be part of the reason why someone like Smith wasn't bought out last year.

We saw the sell-off last year with Hayes and Zuccarello. I believe Gorton's plan was to have a final sell-off this year with the likes of Kreider, Namestnikov, Spooner, Fast. And then address the likes of Staal, Smith and Shattenkirk this upcoming off-season.

Honestly, it would have been a smart move if Spooner had put in any amount of work and been remotely the same player he was in Boston. He was tracking, consistently as a 40-45 point player. Namestnikov, even as a 35 point player has value at a deadline as well.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It didn't work out, but hating on that contract is only something that can be done with the gift of hindsight (unless you were against it when it was signed, which maybe 1% of this board was.) It wasn't on the level of the other 3, certainly not the Staal/Girardi contracts which were both disastrous deals before the ink dried.

I think more than a few people were against it because they felt it wasn't the time to be buying on a free agent and that the Rangers shouldn't be giving it "one more kick at the can". I'm not sure the contract itself was a huge issue though.

I get the feeling that the Rangers as an organization saw their 'rebuild' lasting last season and this season until they hit the lottery and were handed Kaako. That would fall directly in line with giving short term 2-year deals to guys like Spooner and Namestnikov and would also be part of the reason why someone like Smith wasn't bought out last year.

We saw the sell-off last year with Hayes and Zuccarello. I believe Gorton's plan was to have a final sell-off this year with the likes of Kreider, Namestnikov, Spooner, Fast. And then address the likes of Staal, Smith and Shattenkirk this upcoming off-season.

Honestly, it would have been a smart move if Spooner had put in any amount of work and been remotely the same player he was in Boston. He was tracking, consistently as a 40-45 point player. Namestnikov, even as a 35 point player has value at a deadline as well.

For sure, you can't plan around winning the draft lottery, that definitely changed things and they even admit as such. Perhaps more interesting is whether they would have gone after Panarin if they hadn't drafted Kakko (I think they still would have gone after Trouba)

Reactions: NYR Viper

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Loki- Great post.

If nothing else, I don’t think you can overstate the meaning for these guys to have each other. It’s hard to specify why, but besides taking pressure from each other, it’s just such an extremely more healthy environment for a young male to compete with another young guy on a daily basis, than to compete with some kind of fictional goal set up by everyone around the team.

It’s of course not something you can count on, but the impact of that can be extreme. Take the MoDo kids born in like 73’-74’ for example. A city that statistically should produce a NHLer once every 5th year (if they do an AAA+++ job at it), all of a sudden produces like what 10 from one junior team, of which two becomes top 1-2 players in the NHL. They just pushed each other.

Forsberg was my all time favorite, loved Naslund too.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
asdfasd-jpeg.248307
Here is my choice for the new Captain.....NHL.com would not let me do 5.3, bastards....

Attachments

• asdfasd.jpeg
    asdfasd.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 33

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So TSN reporting that Shattenkirk was pissed at himself. At himself.

Yeah and I'm pissed at myself every morning I wake up hungover. Unless the behavior changes it doesn't matter much. Shattenkirk was absolute garbage last season when we all expected him to try to bounce back from a disappointing injury plagued first season.

Shatty should be most pissed at himself for not grabbing the bigger contract when he had the chance.

He and Smith are lessons in complacency.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I do agree. Names was an overpay, but you still need NHL Players to field a team. You cannot throw a team of rookies, nobodies, and worthlessness out there. You think the product on ice was bad last year? Imagine replacement level rookies included lol

2019-20 will be tight
The Rangers will have very little cap space available this season--no more than $1M at any given time. The plus side is that
Kravstov, Andersson, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, Letteri, Kakko, Chytil, Fox, and Georgie are all waiver exempt--players that we can send down whenever at no expense to get them playing time, get some quick cap relief, manipulate the roster. it's a small price to pay for acquiring Panarin AND Trouba.

Cool part is those pieces can still be sold this season:
Kreider - Late 1st round pick and prospect at the deadline
Namestnikov - 3rd round pick
Fast - 3rd round pick
Strome - 2nd round pick if he puts up another high shooting percentage year

Very possible that Smith can boost his value -- I highly doubt it, but if they are playing well, and there is a taker to move that contract at 50%, the Rangers should take it. Would love to see something like that happen for Staal but I don't think the move is ever going to exist at this point... Staal will end up being here until he retires or gets an equipment allergy. Hank is here for several more years, prob takes a few 1 year deals after his current deal ends.

2020-21 will be a little more loose, but still slightly tight.
The Rangers have $14.4M coming off the cap next year (2020-21) in Kreider, Names, Strome, Fast, and Belesky (assumes he is already buried). The only guys to resign immediately are Lemuiex and DeAngelo long term. The rest of the guys can be stop gap fillers.
Rangers have $7.494M in dead cap space next year (2020-21) in Girardi, Spooner, and Shattenkirk, which is an increase of $2.1M compared to this year (2019-20)
Rangers net cap space gain next year (2020-21) of $12.3M compared to this year (2019-20)
Georgiev, Lemiux, and DeAngelo are the only guys to be resigned, hopefully the latter earns a long term deal. Strome most likely let go since his QO will be $3.2M

2021-22 is where the seas will part
Rangers have $18.55M coming off the cap in 2021-22 in Staal, Hank, and Smith. On top of this, their dead cap falls from $7.494M to $2.544M (an increase of $4.95M). This is a net cap space gain of $23.45M
Andersson, Howden, Chytil, Buchenvich, Hajek are all RFAs, not all are getting long term deals.

This team was able to navigate a cap crunch at the expense of one asset who was not worth much in the league, and probably wouldn't have garnered more than a couple of mid round draft picks (think Zucc return) at this upcoming deadline. In return we have an bonafide elite talent in Kakko, another in Panarin, a top pairing defenseman in Trouba, and a pipeline stacked with D options in the future, plus a young forward corps that will compete for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad