Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2019/2020) - DeAngelo and Lemieux Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
$1,433,333 for the next 4 years.

He can join Brad Richards, Rick DiPietro and Bobby Bonilla for the annual paycheck party on the VIP deck of the Empire State Building on July 1st

Ok. So I’m not sure I’m understand the entire cap pay/hit. We owe him 1.43 over 4 but it’s 6 against our cap over 2?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Cant wait to get this season started. Panarin Zibanajad and Kakko/Buchnevich is gonna be fun to watch. We finally have a good balance of playmaking and shooting on this team. I'm in the glass half full mode until I see Kakko and Kravtsov struggle, if those two guys come NHL ready, if Chytil Anderson and Howden take a step..... we could be really hard to play against.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Doing the math I don't think burying Beleskey does anything- if he gets replaced with an ELC player, its pretty much the same.

We might run a 21 or 22 man roster as opposed to 23 last season, however. Since Smith can functionally be both the 7th dman and 13th forward that effectively kills two cats with one tire.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I hope the Rangers have learned their lesson that rebuilding is not an excuse to be dumb and irresponsible.

Suddenly, we could really use the 4 million in cap space we gave Namestnikov for no reason.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Could say the same about competing and the irresponsible contracts given out then too
That's a different thing though.

That's saying to yourself "this will hurt me in 3-5 years but I have a chance to win the Cup now."

I'm talking about contracts where it's like "this does nothing for me now, this does nothing for me later, but who cares because we're rebuilding."

I don't hate Namestnikov and I get that they wanted warm bodies, but it was a complete waste of money. League minimum players do what he does. I'd go so far as to say the same about Skjei.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

That's saying to yourself "this will hurt me in 3-5 years but I have a chance to win the Cup now."

I'm talking about contracts where it's like "this does nothing for me now, this does nothing for me later, but who cares because we're rebuilding."

I don't hate Namestnikov and I get that they wanted warm bodies, but it was a complete waste of money. League minimum players do what he does. I'd go so far as to say the same about Skjei.
Okay, but this assumes Namestnikov was given $4M to be a "warm body" and not because the team thought he had redeeming qualities. I mean, do you actually believe Gorton's thought process was, "this does nothing for me now, this does nothing for me later, but who cares because we're rebuilding"? That line of thinking would kind of imply that Gorton is an idiot, which he is not. Maybe the way he values players is off or something, but he's not just throwing money away for shits and giggles as you seem to suggest.

Who are the league minimum free agents that can replicate Namestnikov and Skjei?

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
I hope the Rangers have learned their lesson that rebuilding is not an excuse to be dumb and irresponsible.

Suddenly, we could really use the 4 million in cap space we gave Namestnikov for no reason.
Even if we gave him and Spooner $6mill for two years it would have made a difference. We wouldn't have needed to retain on Spoon in the Strome deal. We would have another $1.3 mill in cap space so we could sign DeAngelo and Lemieux to contracts better than their QOs. And Namestikov would be easier to trade.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Well, I’d say the contracts given to Staal, Girardi, and Smith were more dumb and irresponsible than the Namestnikov contract and have the extra layer of not really helping the cause even when they were competing

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Okay, but this assumes Namestnikov was given $4M to be a "warm body" and not because the team thought he had redeeming qualities. I mean, do you actually believe Gorton's thought process was, "this does nothing for me now, this does nothing for me later, but who cares because we're rebuilding"? That line of thinking would kind of imply that Gorton is an idiot, which he is not. Maybe the way he values players is off or something, but he's not just throwing money away for ****s and giggles as you seem to suggest.

Who are the league minimum free agents that can replicate Namestnikov and Skjei?
I was putting it more bluntly for the purposes of the post than I feel it actually happens.

I just think there's a tendency to be less responsible when you're in a position where you won't feel that you're contending any time soon. At the very least, I don't think he signs that deal with a contending roster and overvalued what Namestnikov brings to a rebuilding team.

Then again, maybe he does make that signing with a contending team. Gorton's contracts have never been good outside of Zibanejad, and it's something he needs to work on.

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
At the risk of :deadhorse it really sounds like it’s the Rangers who failed Kevin, not that Kevin’s level of play had anything to do with us having to rebuild as opposed to re-tool:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, I’d say the contracts given to Staal, Girardi, and Smith were more dumb and irresponsible than the Namestnikov contract and have the extra layer of not really helping the cause even when they were competing

The Staal and Girardi contracts weren't short-sighted contracts given out for the purpose of competing immediately.

They were awful contracts given to players who were never that effective.

Staal, you could argue, had his moments, but he was never a star defenseman and we paid him like one.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The Staal and Girardi contracts weren't short-sighted contracts given out for the purpose of competing immediately.

They were awful contracts given to players who were never that effective.

Staal, you could argue, had his moments, but he was never a star defenseman and we paid him like one.
Yeah, my point is that the problem has been around since before and has nothing to do with rebuilding

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, my point is that the problem has been around since before and has nothing to do with rebuilding
Staal and Girardi were more of a Sather thing, but like I said, it's certainly a valid argument that Gorton has simply always been irresponsible with contracts.

The Smith and Shattenkirk deals are strikes against him in that regard.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Staal and Girardi were more of a Sather thing, but like I said, it's certainly a valid argument that Gorton has simply always been irresponsible with contracts.

The Smith and Shattenkirk deals are strikes against him in that regard.
IMO Nothing Gortons done cap wise would be that big a problem right now if we didn’t sign Panarin which I have no problem with. I don’t think that 11.6 would have been distributed elsewhere in the market and we wouldn’t be in this cap predicament had we not had the opportunity to secure Panarin for our competing years. The smith contract sucks but they clearly liked the player, the names contract we had the money for being in a rebuild and can get value back with retention at the deadline if we decide to cut ties.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
IMO Nothing Gortons done cap wise would be that big a problem right now if we didn’t sign Panarin which I have no problem with. I don’t think that 11.6 would have been distributed elsewhere in the market and we wouldn’t be in this cap predicament had we not had the opportunity to secure Panarin for our competing years. The smith contract sucks but they clearly liked the player, the names contract we had the money for being in a rebuild and can get value back with retention at the deadline if we decide to cut ties.
I get what you're saying, but if a contract "wouldn't be a problem if we didn't spend to the cap" then it's a problem IMO.

You're supposed to be able to spend to the cap.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Cant wait to get this season started. Panarin Zibanajad and Kakko/Buchnevich is gonna be fun to watch.

It’s been discussed before but I really believe Kravtsov is a great candidate for that top line as well.

Title be interring to see which of our top wings end up outside the top 6.

Kreider needs to be there to build trade value.

Buch earned a permanent stay with his play last season.

Kakko and Kravtsov need to play with top talent for a nice development curve boost.

Panarin is Panarin.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i stopped caring about anything related to kevin shattenkirk the moment brett decided that he didn't know if the buyout window had even started or ended but the rangers have bought out shattenkirk at some point in the past, present or future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00