Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm going under the assumption they will be getting a late first and B prospect in the trade. I don't see how they end up with the 1OA pick, but ok. I guess that's a plan? I assume whoever they take with their own pick will be at least three years away from contributing.

It's not about fear, it's about figuring out what this team looks like in a year or two when they should be challenging for the playoffs. Funny, everyone says you have to trade him but no one really knows how they're going to replace him other than, let's be really bad and try and get a top 5 pick.

I would be very surprised if the player we get isn't already an NHL player or on the cusp. Maybe that means we end up taking a lesser pick, which is fine, or maybe we get both due to a bidding war.

Regardless, there is a middle ground between "the player has to replace Kreider next season" and "the player is 3+ years away".

If we are re-signing Kreider at 7 x 7, how are we affording him?

Reactions: mschmidt64

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not advocating for trading DeAngelo, at all. I want him and Kreider here. But what if a DeAngelo trade gets you more than Kreider would? Better pick, better player. Reports indicate Lindqvist isn't that far off, Trouba isn't going anywhere and Fox is only going to get better. Do you deal from a position of strength rather than an area where you're weakest at?

I still move Kreider 10 times out of 10.

DeAngelo is a tougher player to replace and I'd expect has his best years are coming up. Kreider pretty much is what he is at this point and thats not a bad thing, but we're going to be paying for that and then a lesser player towards the end of the deal.

Kreider has been a great Ranger and I agree, hes the toughest player to move on from out of the guys we've traded over the last 2 years but unless the FO is willing to make the necessary moves to keep him and DeAngelo, it's a really simple choice for me.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
They have been blowing it up, they may still do more of that this deadline.

For all the contributions those players have made, they are still not very high in the standings, where do you think they would be without Panarin?

Where do I think they'd be without the guy they just paid $11m a year to do what he's been doing? Worse, I think they'd be worse. But that doesn't negate the contributions a whole bunch of other players have been making. I think they're in much better shape this year than they were at the exact same time last year. And I expect them to be even better next this time next year.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Kreider for Newhook.

I'll drop the pick requirement. Or at least the first round pick requirement.

But yeah, straight up.

Colorado doesn't have to give up multiple pieces. Just one.

You know you want to, Sakic.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Nah that Devils team was legitimately mediocre/below average. They were carried by a hot start and then Hall later on. They barely got in and were a sub .500 team for the last 60 games of the season.

This group has gotten better as the year has gone on and it hasn't been just Panarin. Hes been a big part of it, but thats really doing a disservice to some of the other guys having great years (DeAngelo, Fox, Zibanejad) and others who have played pretty well (Strome,Lindgren, Chytil, Fast)

They still shouldn't be extending Kreider at the expense of DeAngelo, which I'm 90% sure it would go that way if Kreider were to be kept.

Rangers may have a better future and yes they've improved to a point, yet that Devils team was full of young early and later drafted players, and vets none too different than Strome, Fast, Kreider.

They did not have a Zbad or a DeAngelo, but that season they had pretty much everything else the Rangers have this season (again not saying future, where those youths are currently in their development)

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
We are not getting Newhook for Krieder straight up. We would have to add to that to make it happen (which I would actually be ok with since I am more interested in quality over quantity.)

Reactions: mschmidt64

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

DeAngelo is a tougher player to replace and I'd expect has his best years are coming up. Kreider pretty much is what he is at this point and thats not a bad thing, but we're going to be paying for that and then a lesser player towards the end of the deal.

Kreider has been a great Ranger and I agree, hes the toughest player to move on from out of the guys we've traded over the last 2 years but unless the FO is willing to make the necessary moves to keep him and DeAngelo, it's a really simple choice for me.

Is he though? The Rangers have two, maybe three, players in the system right now that seem more capable of replacing what Deangelo does than they have forwards who can replace what Kreider does. People are worried about Kreider's next deal, but not DeAngelos when they're already paying Trouba and Fox will be coming up shortly? What if a DeAngelo trade gives you a better chance at getting the "elite" talent everyone clamors for? People think Kreider is going to hold them over a barrel but DeAngelo is gonna give them a break. Or that the only reason why Kreider is trying is because he's playing for a new contract but so is DeAngelo. Is he on his best behavior because he wants a new deal? I guess I lean towards keeping DeAngelo over Kreider. But i don't think it's so cut and dry for me.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
If we are talking about fantasy trades to get prospects from Colorado they aren't going to give up, then the only name that we should be talking about is Byram. He's the LHD.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Brings back memories of trying to convince people around here he'd be a good partner for McDonagh. I'm a big fan of Brodin and he's continuing to grow as a player. Sounds like Minny has a high price tag on him though.
It can’t be that crazy, he has 1 year left on his contract. Doesn’t have to be him specifically, I think a proper partner for Trouba should be on the shopping list.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I would be very surprised if the player we get isn't already an NHL player or on the cusp. Maybe that means we end up taking a lesser pick, which is fine, or maybe we get both due to a bidding war.

Regardless, there is a middle ground between "the player has to replace Kreider next season" and "the player is 3+ years away".

If we are re-signing Kreider at 7 x 7, how are we affording him?

Is he an NHL ready 4th liner or an NHL ready 2nd liner? This stuff matters. It's not a matter of middle ground but the odds are you draft a kid in the late 20s, he's years away so the player you get as part of the package better be ready to go and replace some of what you're losing. Otherwise they lose the deal and waste another year of Panarin and Zib. Maybe if Kravtsov made the team this year I'd be more comfortable, but even he's a question mark.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It can’t be that crazy, he has 1 year left on his contract. Doesn’t have to be him specifically, I think a proper partner for Trouba should be on the shopping list.

I would definitely target him if the price was right. I don't think he'd cost a fortune to re-sign and is definitely capable of playing top-pairing minutes. There are some expansion considerations, but he is a UFA that summer so the Rangers could get creative if both parties agreed to it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Brings back memories of trying to convince people around here he'd be a good partner for McDonagh. I'm a big fan of Brodin and he's continuing to grow as a player. Sounds like Minny has a high price tag on him though.

Jonas Brodin was so impressive when he was younger. But Minny had a bad LD jan and Brodin played so many years as a RD and was hammered and lost confidence and never really found his footing properly in the NHL.

Ive not seen enough of him lately, but he might be an interesting option.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I would definitely target him if the price was right. I don't think he'd cost a fortune to re-sign and is definitely capable of playing top-pairing minutes. There are some expansion considerations, but he is a UFA that summer so the Rangers could get creative if both parties agreed to it.
What if they did the same thing with Kreider that they did with Hayes? Flip the late 1st + a prospect. We have a ton of defensive prospects.

Reactions: Kupo

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What if they did the same thing with Kreider that they did with Hayes? Flip the late 1st + a prospect. We have a ton of defensive prospects.

I could see that happening, but not sure it gets it done for Brodin. But again, I really have no idea how he's valued.

If the Rangers add another 1st at the deadline, I'd be pretty surprised if that pick was actually made. I get the feeling they'd prefer to move it for a younger NHL player on a team that either needs draft currency or is starting a full blown rebuild.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is he though? The Rangers have two, maybe three, players in the system right now that seem more capable of replacing what Deangelo does than they have forwards who can replace what Kreider does. People are worried about Kreider's next deal, but not DeAngelos when they're already paying Trouba and Fox will be coming up shortly? What if a DeAngelo trade gives you a better chance at getting the "elite" talent everyone clamors for? People think Kreider is going to hold them over a barrel but DeAngelo is gonna give them a break. Or that the only reason why Kreider is trying is because he's playing for a new contract but so is DeAngelo. Is he on his best behavior because he wants a new deal? I guess I lean towards keeping DeAngelo over Kreider. But i don't think it's so cut and dry for me.

Who in the system is going to put up 60 points a year? You do realize that DeAngelo is on pace to eclipse Kreider's best offensive output right? I realize we've got good RHD on the team and in the system, but until one of them puts up the output that DeAngelo has, I'm going to assume that they can't do it (FWIW, I think Fox will.)

DeAngelo has been consistent from the beginning of the season, really over the last calendar year. Kreider's come on over the last month and a half but do you remember how listless and useless he was for the first 25 games?

I don't think Kreider is holding anyone over a barrel asking for 7 a year. I think its fair with where the market is and the going rate for top 6 forwards is 6-7 million. But when it comes to ROI, I'd feel much, much more confident in DeAngelo than I would in Kreider. DeAngelo would bring back more in a deal for sure, but thats all the more reason to keep him unless of course, a Martin Necas level player is coming back straight up.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I could see that happening, but not sure it gets it done for Brodin. But again, I really have no idea how he's valued.

If the Rangers add another 1st at the deadline, I'd be pretty surprised if that pick was actually made. I get the feeling they'd prefer to move it for a younger NHL player on a team that either needs draft currency or is starting a full blown rebuild.

I wouldn't want Brodin. I get major Staal vibes from him.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I've been waffling back and forth on Kreider for months. This is THE toughest trade of the rebuild. He will be hard to replace. And we will need to, if we want to contend within 2 years.

But paying him will make it harder to keep contention window open. So, he's likely gotta go.

Compounding things is the fact that neither Lias or Howden have worked out as centers. In 1-2 years, we're going to be paying more for Zib, Chytil and another center. And that center is likely to come from a trade and not someone on an ELC -- as I doubt it'll be Strome.

My guess is, we will trade Kreider and Fast, use the picks acquired + our own 1st to draft possible replacements. If those kids aren't ready when our contention window opens, we may use some of them and/or other assets to find top 9 forwards entering their prime. But it will cost us more than had we developed another center. If there is a weakness so far to our rebuild its center ice. This summer, GMJG needs to focus on center depth in the organization. I'd like to use a few too many picks on centers in upcoming draft. Need to look into UDFAs from college and Europe. Of course, if we can convince the bruins to send us Beecher in a Kreider deal, that would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad