Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
He's a very good player, who I wish was two years younger at this same juncture.

I always perceived getting Panarin as upgrading his position, not necessarily shelling out $20 million for a pair of wingers into their 30s.

But what you're describing has been my concern from the get-go with Panarin. In order to properly utilize him, there's a domino effect of moves that takes hold --- including the possibility of resigning Kreider.

If someone were to back me into a corner right now, I'd say that the Panarin signing, and all that it brings, is a strong candidate to either be the move that people point to as the start of this team winning a championship, or the moment we tried to get too cute with a hybrid model and why we ultimately fell short of our initial hopes.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

When Panarin was signed, it was all "But what about the rebuild?! We'll be too good too quick! We need room for the kids to grow!"

Panarin was replacing Kreider with an upgrade a year early, IMO, or at least preparing for that possibility. Why pay Kreider $7/yr for 50 points when you could pay Panarin $11/yr for 120 points?

Reactions: leetch99

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Anyone else think the NYR have waited too long to trade Georgiev this season? His numbers haven't been good recently. About a month ago he was still putting up decent numbers but recently his value has probably dropped some with a team like Toronto out of the mix now that they acquired Jack Campbell. Ideally the Rangers trade Lundqvist but with his NMC it'll take a lot of convincing to have him leave. You can then run with Shesterkin and Georgiev for the forseeable future. Teams that make sense for Lundqvist would be Colorado, Arizona, Vancouver and Edmonton out West. All of those teams are trying to get to the playoffs this year.

A team that would make huge sense would be the Washington Capitals though for Lundqvist. Win now team, Holtby's future is up in the air as he is a UFA at the end of this year. They would have Lundqvist for this year and next for two solid Cup runs. Washington would have to send salary back to us but how about:

Lundqvist (with some salary retained)

For

Braden Holtby (Pending UFA, obviously won't re-sign)
Christian Djoos (Pending RFA)
Alexander Alexeyev (Defensive Prospect, 20 Years Old)
2nd or 3rd Round Pick

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The disappointment in this place is going to be off the charts. Somehow the expectations are growing more ridiculous than last season.

Not sure why people are disappointed? Despite the fact they are outside of a playoff birth there is so much to look forward to here.

The Positives;
First and foremost, the cupboard is stocked with prospects.
They managed to land the best player they've employed in decades via free agency.
They have a potential Hart candidate.
While the club is not done cooking yet they have managed to beat some of the best teams in the league this season. Pens, Caps, Leafs 2x, Lightning, Avs, Isles 2x, the Knights etc.
They have not 1 but 2 players that are posting better then PPG numbers.
They have a 24yr old RHD who is pacing a 63 pt season and his name is NOT Erik Karlsson.
They have an additional 21 y old RHD that is pacing a 43 pt season and isn't playing on PP1.
They have a Power play that ranks 5th in the league
They have Igor and Geo in net.
They have a legitimate top 6 that can compete with just about anyone.
The just had their highest draft selection since the dawn of time.

The Negatives;
Hank will likely never win one here n NY and probably won't accept a trade elsewhere to win one
#20 is the number 1 name on the trade market
Lias Andersson debacle, which seems to be more on the player then on the organization. At this point he probably would have been called up but he left just a smidge to soon, potentially burning the bridge forever.
One more year @$5,700,000 for #18
One more year @4,350,000 for #42

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I am not convinced Kadri being out makes a trade for Kreider more likely. It may make it less likely. Kadri is a top 9 center. They may wish to get more depth down the middle. I just don't trust that Sakic will be less stingy because of this injury. I don't get the sense he's feeling pressure to win the cup this year.

Blues and Bruins and Caps are the teams that seem to be up against their cup contention windows. Maybe the Rangers can use the Avs to up other offers, but i feel like Gorton already knows the likely return for Kreider from any teams that are truly serious. He's just going to wait to see if he can make them a touch sweeter at the deadline. I doubt the Avs are one of those teams Gorton is focused on.

With McDavid and Kadri both out I'd say Pageau is looking pretty good right now.

Reactions: leetch99

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Panarin, Trouba and Fox were all linked to the Rangers before they got here.

So was Shane Doan. Keith Tkachuk. Jason Arnott. We’re the Rangers. High profile players will always be linked to us.

We didn’t have a winger who can play with an edge until Gorton made a move and traded for one (Lemieux).

We didn’t have a PP RHD freakshow like ADA until Gorton made a move for one.

We didn’t have a Center in our pipeline that had 1C capability until Gorton traded for one (Zbad).

We didn’t have a 25min dmen until Gorton traded for one (Trouba).

We didn’t have superstar talent like Panarin until this summer when Gorton signed him.

You’ve become hellbent on who we have that can replace Kreider right now. We don’t have that player but that doesn’t mean he’ll he impossible to replace.

Gorton has amassed a number of valuable assets and he’s shown he’s not afraid to make a move. Be patient. Trust the process. The big picture isn’t what happens this year or next year. Look beyond that.

Kreider is a good player, but he’s not a great player. Good players can be replaced.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think you hit the nail on the head.

When Panarin was signed, it was all "But what about the rebuild?! We'll be too good too quick! We need room for the kids to grow!"

Panarin was replacing Kreider with an upgrade a year early, IMO, or at least preparing for that possibility. Why pay Kreider $7/yr for 50 points when you could pay Panarin $11/yr for 120 points?

Because together the team has 2 legitimate line.
In addition, how will Zibanejad respond w/out Kreider on his wing? Whos replaceing him?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
So was Shane Doan. Keith Tkachuk. Jason Arnott. We’re the Rangers. High profile players will always be linked to us.

We didn’t have an winger who can play with an edge until Gorton made a move and traded for one (Lemieux).

We didn’t have a Center in our pipeline that had 1C capability until Gorton traded for one (Zbad).

We didn’t have superstar talent like Panarin until this summer when Gorton signed him.

You’ve become hellbent on who we have that can replace Kreider right now. We don’t have that player but that doesn’t mean he’ll he impossible to replace.

Gorton has amassed a number of valuable assets and he’s shown he’s not afraid to make a move. Be patient. Trust the process. The big picture isn’t what happens this year or next year. Look beyond that.

Kreider is a good player, but he’s not a great player. Good players can be replaced.

I'm just looking for one name. One reasonable name to replace him in the next two seasons. It's been 30 pages of theories, accolades, and mentioning players totally unrelated to the Kreider situation.

Lemieux is an ok hockey player, he could leave tomorrow and they wouldn't miss him. Gorton replaced Brassard a center with Zib a center, it was an incredible move. They got ADA because Gorton wanted a first round pick and wanted to move on from Stepan before his NTC kicked in. Everyone know Trouba was coming here. Everyone knew Panarin wanted to play here, so much so he took less money. What does this have to do with trading a player for a bottom 6 forward and late first round pick, if they're even lucky enough to get that much? He brings back Newhook or a player like him, amazing. Can't wait.

This isn't me being hellbent, I already acknowledged he's getting traded. But your post has zero to do with what we're talking about.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'm just looking for one name. One reasonable name to replace him in the next two seasons. It's been 30 pages of theories, accolades, and mentioning players totally unrelated to the Kreider situation.

Lemieux is an ok hockey player, he could leave tomorrow and they wouldn't miss him. Gorton replaced Brassard a center with Zib a center, it was an incredible move. They got ADA because Gorton wanted a first round pick and wanted to move on from Stepan before his NTC kicked in. Everyone know Trouba was coming here. Everyone knew Panarin wanted to play here, so much so he took less money. What does this have to do with trading a player for a bottom 6 forward and late first round pick, if they're even lucky enough to get that much? He brings back Newhook or a player like him, amazing. Can't wait.

This isn't me being hellbent, I already acknowledged he's getting traded. But your post has zero to do with what we're talking about.
You’re more concerned about the next 2 years than you are about years 3 and beyond. For a team that’s year 2 in its rebuild, that’s disturbing. Even during JD’s last interview he kept in preaching patience. That sounds to me like he’s not overly concerned about the next 2 years as you seem to be.

And you missed my point completely with the players I brought up. Just because we don’t have a replacement now doesn’t mean we won’t have one in the future. Have some faith man....

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

What is this question specifically asking? Who can we get to play on the wing via trade or UFA that can fill CK's shoes? Or are we asking what Kreider-type of player is out there to bring similar things to our team that Kreider did?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I'm generally worrisome of this management and the rebuild. Feels like we're doing it on the fly, never really committed, except for one year maybe.

It's tough, because one side thinks we're totally rushing it, like this is the last year of the rebuild and that could backfire. (which would be nice for the 2022 draft)

On the other side we're looking better by the day, kinda 3-4 pieces away from beating people up ... stuck in between, that's what it feels like to me.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I'm generally worrisome of this management and the rebuild. Feels like we're doing it on the fly, never really committed, except for one year maybe.

It's tough, because one side thinks we're totally rushing it, like this is the last year of the rebuild and that could backfire. (which would be nice for the 2022 draft)

On the other side we're looking better by the day, kinda 3-4 pieces away from beating people up ... stuck in between, that's what it feels like to me.
I think the rebuild has been on a timeline that has never wavered, is still on that same timeline, and that timeline has almost zero chance of accelerating. I think you could have planned out every move that has happened and every players progression excepting Panarin and this is pretty much when it was always going to happen.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Anyone else think the NYR have waited too long to trade Georgiev this season?

I think, we never would have gotten anything big to begin with, and well yes ... he certainly didn't raise his value over the past games.

Georgiev has 62 starts over 3 seasons in front of mostly bad NYR teams. 2nd + prospect is the target, I guess.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not really sure how one could possibly come to such a conclusion but ok.

What about the rebuild smacks of not being committed to it?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
What is this question specifically asking? Who can we get to play on the wing via trade or UFA that can fill CK's shoes? Or are we asking what Kreider-type of player is out there to bring similar things to our team that Kreider did?

All of that. I'll accept any and all answers. If we can't get that type of player back when he's traded, who can fill that role via FA, another trade, college signing, internally, whatever. People construct imaginary top 6s here all day but when you ask for a specific, you get told to have faith.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think, we never would have gotten anything big to begin with, and well yes ... he certainly didn't raise his value over the past games.

Georgiev has 62 starts over 3 seasons in front of mostly bad NYR teams. 2nd + prospect is the target, I guess.

I am really curious to see if the rest of the league is as high on Georgiev as we are.

I think this board, as a result of certain names tossed out there, has one level expectation on a return for Georgiev. Conversely, I think the market may be more conservative.

I've been hesitant to waiver on my beliefs on the "returns" for our most talked about trade chips. I think they're going to be more in line with past examples than they are going to be the new benchmark by which future deals are compared.

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I really hope we kick the tires of Alexander Barabanov. He would be a very solid add on an ELC. Speed and skill and plays a pretty low maintenance game (more of an energy type than Dadonov, Gusev and co).

He has played with Panarin, Shesty and Rykov for SKA. We got a boatload of in’s on him. Think he would compliment our big centers and wingers like Ziba, Chytil, Buch and Kakko really well with his energy.

Last edited:

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019

We didn’t have a winger who can play with an edge until Gorton made a move and traded for one (Lemieux).

Nobody is saying Kreider is a great player BUT his particular skill set in extremely difficult to replace..just the facts

Reactions: bobbop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad