Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ironically enough, when it comes to ammo, it's not so much about having a stockpile of prospects coming up every year, so much as it is tied to the belief that we are going to require some significant help from the outside --- including via trade.

So with the exception of getting another top young talent early in this draft, for me it's more about having more in savings that we can use when we pursue wingers, LDs, etc. I think we need a little more capital there, especially as we look to get guys into the fold who can have a more immediate impact

This can sound a bit goofy, but I it’s thesis I have had for a while and I am believing more and more in it (and even if Gorton wouldn’t describe it in the same way, I think he in a way applies the same thinking).

We are dealing with humans so reality will never be as black and white as this, but in theory: I think we are in a position where can accrue more ‘net asset value’ (whatever currency: ie picks/prospects/players/cap space/attractiveness) then we have to write off due to players becoming worse, more expensive, bolting, losing attractiveness, losing cap space and so forth.

Of course it would never be precise, but if we look at things from a P/L and balance sheet perspective, like engaged McKinsely and have them 30m to make an attempt to map it out, the result would be that we have a good shot at building up our balance sheet.

The idea is that you become good, then slowly but surely lose value by getting less cap space and drafting late. So we imagine that over a longer period all teams will more or less suck for a period and be great for a period, and of course randomness/competence will have a big impact from team to team.

I think everyone agree that NYR have favorable conditions. But when you look into what that actually mean at the bottom line, I don’t think it’s a slight impact, I think the impact is significant. Nothing can be taken for granted — but what have the positive impact of being NYR been the last 10 years? If I were to try to summarize it, it would become a long post. But in brief, how much has it been worth to get Hayes, Vesey and Pionk? Get the UFA we want. Don’t have to overpay for second rate guys. Have Benny develop goalies, draft fairly well looking at all rounds. Especially, have Ziba and many others feel that ‘wow this a chance in a lifetime opportunity that I must take’ in order to stay here — and so forth and so forth.

No matter if we tank or compete or whatever — I think the revenues will cover the burn rate and then some on a year to year basis.

The NHL is in this perspective of course a really volatile market. All of a sudden someone picks two Crosby’s over a 2 year period and become tremendously “rich”. And we could certainly make costly mistakes.

But if the conditions remain the same, I think we much more often than not will take two steps forward than one back. This probably made NO sense, lol. But in short I just think that we have every chance to in 3 years have more total assets than we have now, in 6 years more than we had 3 years ago, in 9 years, more than we had 6 years ago. Of course there will be some set backs, but I think the future is bright given the current conditions.

I also think Gorton makes many moves against this background. Being hesitant to give out long contracts. Focusing a lot on character. And so forth. Steer the ship in the right direction and the future should be bright.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Imagine if Staal and Henrik both retired...

I could see Hank retiring. Don’t like the buy-out option and I am not sure that is the route we would go either.

What is Hank’s option if we don’t buy him out? 1 mil in signing bonus. When is the bonus paid out? Summer right. He takes his time. Gets the mil delivered to him. 4.5m remains. If he is bought out it’s 3m. Gorton refuses to buy him out. Is it worth sitting the in the stands, ending his career in NY as the 3rd fiddle?

I would bet on retirement over Buy-Out if I had to.

Reactions: NYRangers16

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
The other night they were showing Joel Lundquist celebrating winning the Champion's League. That's got to rattle around in Henrik's head a little.

Reactions: leetch99

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I could see Hank retiring. Don’t like the buy-out option and I am not sure that is the route we would go either.

What is Hank’s option if we don’t buy him out? 1 mil in signing bonus. When is the bonus paid out? Summer right. He takes his time. Gets the mil delivered to him. 4.5m remains. If he is bought out it’s 3m. Gorton refuses to buy him out. Is it worth sitting the in the stands, ending his career in NY as the 3rd fiddle?

I would bet on retirement over Buy-Out if I had to.
After his last game I don’t understand how anyone sees him retiring soon.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If we get a Kyrou or even a Kostin for Kreider along with a 1st id be ecstatic. I’d be just as enthusiastic if we added a little bit.

Character and a lot of stuff would of course play into it. But I would consider Kreider for Kyrou without a pick coming our way.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That there are reports of the Rangers and Kreider opening up contract discussions, do we believe this is a negotiating tactic?

They would under all circumstances touch base. You don’t want uncertainty about a factor if you can get certainty on it.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That there are reports of the Rangers and Kreider opening up contract discussions, do we believe this is a negotiating tactic?

It was when they had talks with Zuccarello.

Really depends on Gorton's views of: Smith, Staal, & Hank, IMHO, and where he views these three guys being next October.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
hank's decision to retire would have nothing to do with his ability to play. it will be about not wanting to sit on the bench every night and not playing, if he doesn't want to play for another team...quinn hinted the other day that soon he will have to ride the hot guy which means Igor will start alot.

Reactions: leetch99

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think it's part negotiating tactic, and part a genuine interest in seeing how low Kreider is willing to go.

The internal opinion expressed thus far is that Kreider is going to look for 7x7.

But, if you're going to trade a guy like Kreider, you want to know if that's set in stone.

If it is, he's a goner.

If it isn't, they can talk further --- depending on how far apart they are.

But again, I don't think they're going to be going back and forth over $250k.

Right now I am going to guess the negotiations will focus on a potential gap of $500k-$1m, and 1-2 years.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would we not? I have maintained all along that Krieder has to decide what is more important to him; making the absolute most amount of money or leaving some things on the table and being a leader of his franchise when they get back into the playoffs. Hayes was never going to stay. Krieder, I am not sure about. One thing I am sure about is that within these discussions, Gorton is going to be pretty frank about what his parameters are. And then it will be up to Krieder to decide where his future lies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The other night they were showing Joel Lundquist celebrating winning the Champion's League. That's got to rattle around in Henrik's head a little.

I think Lundqvist is eyeing 485 wins. That puts him ahead of Belfour and solidly in the top five all time. 26 wins to go. I don't see him getting it done with the Rangers over the next 1.5 seasons. He needs a change of scenery or major luck.

Reactions: BKGooner

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If by some chance Lundqvist was bought out, there's part of me that could see him signing a relatively cheap, one-year deal with a good team to prove to himself (and even the Rangers) that he still has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad