Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
If people want to sign Kreider to a 7x7 deal and think Hall is going to get under 10M (which he won't) then why would we possibly re-sign Kreider instead of trying to sign the far superior player for just 3M/year more?
Whoever signs Taylor Hall for 10M per year...woof. Have fun. Glad it won’t be us.

Reactions: jas

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Sometimes isn’t enough for me to accept a 50M contract until he’s 36 when we’re going to have a plethora of players that need new contracts.

"Sometimes" is the problem for Kreider. Sometimes he is unstoppable. Sometimes he looks like a 70 point forward. Sometimes he can take over a game all on his own. He has done all these things, sometimes, for 7 seasons. If at any other point in those 7 years (aside from this season), Kreider was able to play with some consistency, I don't think there would be much debate about what the right move is.

The fact that there is so much uncertainty regarding what we should do with Kreider, leads me to believe that JG is likely thinking the same thing and will ultimately trade him. Kreider's inconsistency likely caps the Rangers offer at roughly $1 million a year less than what Kreider will accept.

Reactions: RickChartraw

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I just keep thinking of the Islanders signing Nelson and Lee, they're fine now but if I'm an Isles fan I'm squirming at the last half of those contracts

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
When I think of a list of 29/30 year old truly irreplaceable Rangers over the years, I can’t say I get a very long list.

Lundqvist circa 2011? Yeah.

Leetch circa 1997? Yeah.

Messier circa 1991? Yeah.

Jagr circa 2005? A little older, but yeah.

Panarin circa 2020/21? Possibly.

But I’m struggling to come up with a list beyond that - maybe Richter circa 1995?

Beyond my generation - Gilbert? Ratelle?

I don’t see myself including Kreider in that category.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
When I think of a list of 29/30 year old truly irreplaceable Rangers over the years, I can’t say I get a very long list.

Lundqvist circa 2011? Yeah.

Leetch circa 1997? Yeah.

Messier circa 1991? Yeah.

Jagr circa 2005? A little older, but yeah.

Panarin circa 2020/21? Possibly.

But I’m struggling to come up with a list beyond that - maybe Richter circa 1995?

Beyond my generation - Gilbert? Ratelle?

I don’t see me including Kreider in that category.
2012 Jeff Halpern

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like people forget Lemieux was a 2nd round pick who made it to the league and was slowly making a bit of an impact with limited impact when we acquired him. We wanted Roslovic and didnt get him. The equivalent to this is wanting Thomas and getting Kyrou. The Hayes argument makes Kyrou a possibility and Kostin an albeit guarantee.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
"Sometimes" is the problem for Kreider. Sometimes he is unstoppable. Sometimes he looks like a 70 point forward. Sometimes he can take over a game all on his own. He has done all these things, sometimes, for 7 seasons. If at any other point in those 7 years (aside from this season), Kreider was able to play with some consistency, I don't think there would be much debate about what the right move is.

The fact that there is so much uncertainty regarding what we should do with Kreider, leads me to believe that JG is likely thinking the same thing and will ultimately trade him. Kreider's inconsistency likely caps the Rangers offer at roughly $1 million a year less than what Kreider will accept.

I think a reporter pointed it out recently, but it has some truth to it:

“The phrase did you see Chris Kreider tonight” can just as easily be finished with an exclamation mark as it can a question mark.

I know I’m paraphrasing there, but it’s not a false assertion either.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I feel like people forget Lemieux was a 2nd round pick who made it to the league and was slowly making a bit of an impact with limited impact when we acquired him. We wanted Roslovic and didnt get him. The equivalent to this is wanting Thomas and getting Kyrou. The Hayes argument makes Kyrou a possibility and Kostin an albeit guarantee.
While I disagree with this point, Lemieux was 31st overall which would be a first rounder now!

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The inconsistency isn't even the breaking point for me, 99% of guys in this league are inconsistent.

How good will his "on" games look like in 3 years? How bad will the off ones look? And who are we beheading in order to make room for his next deal?

The last of those 3 points is an answer I'm afraid to find out.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The inconsistency isn't even the breaking point for me, 99% of guys in this league are inconsistent.

How good will his "on" games look like in 3 years? How bad will the off ones look? And who are we beheading in order to make room for his next deal?

I wouldn't behead anyone, just trade them or don't re-sign them.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I agree. If it is Skjei, I could live with that. If not, then I probably wouldn't be too happy.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Kreider is pretty easy to replace anyway. All Quinn has to do is write someone else's name in the LW1 spot. What are we going to play shorthanded every time Zibanejad goes on the ice because he's not there?

Reactions: mschmidt64

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

playing your best during a contract year does concern me

Reactions: zephyr

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Kreider is pretty easy to replace anyway. All Quinn has to do is write someone else's name in the LW1 spot. What are we going to play shorthanded every time Zibanejad goes on the ice because he's not there?
You present a strong argument, and I am no longer worried the Rangers won't be able to fill the physical space Kreider occupies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You present a strong argument, and I am no longer worried the Rangers won't be able to fill the physical space Kreider occupies.

You know, we could have Lettieri cut his hair, play in lifts, and wear Kreider’s jersey. For 50 games a season, no one will know the difference.

(Lawd, I know I am asking for trouble with that smart ass response).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad