Speculation: Roster Building Frenzy Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
When you look at who Gallant had in Florida, and you look at two guys like Lafreniere and Kakko, you have to at least be curious, if not optimistic about that possibility.
Something that shayna brought up in her last article, which kinda resonated with me, was gallant was reportedly too involved in perronnel decisions, could alot of what we're seeing right now be stemming from that?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Hamilton is good, but aside from that what are stats people saying? I haven’t seen any argument based on statistics for why the devils will be better than the rangers. The most coherent argument I have read has been along the lines of “hurr durr drury lol”
They're not saying they're going to be better than the Rangers. But they are saying two separate things:

1.) The Devils are one of the most improved teams this summer and could be a darkhorse for the playoffs.

2.) The Rangers got worse.

I still remember people being totally serious in 2019 saying the Devils had a better offseason than the Rangers because they signed Gusev and traded for Subban while the Rangers just overpaid Panarin.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Something that shayna brought up in her last article, which kinda resonated with me, was gallant was reportedly too involved in perronnel decisions, could alot of what we're seeing right now be stemming from that?

I'm sure they get his input but somehow I don't think Drury is going to get the GM job, hire Gallant, and then be his subordinate in roster decisions

Rangers stated they wanted to go this route long before Gallant was the coach. The Rangers have also seemingly wanted Reaves for a long time, though I'm sure Gallant's familiarity with him doesn't hurt.

Reactions: leetch99

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t think Kravtsov and Kakko are being handed top 6 minutes unless they really earn it. I see Smith coming in to fit somewhere in the top 9 depending on camp.
Well one of them will. You don't sign Smith so one of Kakko/Kravtsov can play on the 4th line and not develop.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'm sure they get his input but somehow I don't think Drury is going to get the GM job, hire Gallant, and then be his subordinate in roster decisions

Rangers stated they wanted to go this route long before Gallant was the coach. The Rangers have also seemingly wanted Reaves for a long time, though I'm sure Gallant's familiarity with him doesn't hurt.

Gallant is the veteran coach with the inexperienced GM. Alot of the commentary was that gallant is bad at identifying talent, but wants heavy roster input.
I dont think any GM wants a coach to be completely blind to the roster formation process, but I dont think its hard to see gallants fingers all over the recent moves.

Reactions: Daves a mess

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
They're not saying they're going to be better than the Rangers. But they are saying two separate things:

1.) The Devils are one of the most improved teams this summer and could be a darkhorse for the playoffs.

2.) The Rangers got worse.

I still remember people being totally serious in 2019 saying the Devils had a better offseason than the Rangers because they signed Gusev and traded for Subban while the Rangers just overpaid Panarin.
Rangers not making the playoffs years prior AND getting worse vs the Devils getting better AND being a darkhorse for the playoffs kind of points to the narrative that some writers think the Devils will be better. This doesn't even take into account the pending "CAP DOOM". How someone can think that the Rangers can go from outside the playoff picture, GET WORSE, but somehow still make it? Which team that made the playoffs got EVEN MORE WORSE than the Rangers apparently did? Also Philly's moves are getting praise too so we have that to contend with. Yeah, Drury getting roasted out there.

It ain't true until it is, but that isn't a reach to come to that conclusion.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Gallant is the veteran coach with the inexperienced GM. Alot of the commentary was that gallant is bad at identifying talent, but wants heavy roster input.
I dont think any GM wants a coach to be completely blind to the roster formation process, but I dont think its hard to see gallants fingers all over the recent moves.

I think that's misreading the situation

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I honestly don't know, that's a pretty deep question.

I am going to guess there is probably still some skepticism as to whether that is the best path based on goals, personalities, etc.

We all love the idea of the sports hero mentoring his replacement and handing off the baton. The reality of that approach is far more complicated.

Yep, what neither Henrik nor the Rangers want is Shesty having to look over his shoulder after a couple of rough games in a row and the crowd descending down chants of "HENRIK, HENRIK" while booing the starting goalie. I think they'd rather avoid that situation all together if possible.

Me too lol!

Alright, I'm gonna take a nap but I want a full summary of Mika's love life and marital status by the time I wake up. This is the most interesting thing this off season so far and I won't let this "wins above replacement" talk get in the way of it.

The Rundown:

Evidently, Mika and Irma have known each other as teens but any relationship (beyond friends) ends once, at 18, Mika leaves Sweden For Ottawa. He meets Nathalie in Ottawa. He gets traded to NY. She moves with him. Doesn't work out and they split. Irma and Mika reconnect in summer 2019 and get engaged summer 2020. Evidently, married in summer 2021. THE END.

Next Jack Eichel's relationship history. I had Buchnevich's all written up but yeah...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
tenor.gif

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
WTF is Buffalo doing?

It's a shitty hand. Deal with it. They are waiting for some magical return that just is not going to happen. They can't be that deluded.

This is going to get uglier the longer it goes. What exactly are they waiting for?

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
WTF is Buffalo doing?

It's a shitty hand. Deal with it. They are waiting for some magical return that just is not going to happen. They can't be that deluded.

This is going to get uglier the longer it goes. What exactly are they waiting for?
Waiting on NJ to come back on their offer of Eichel for Tatar + Subban + 2024 7th rounder. Smith untouchable.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Rangers not making the playoffs years prior AND getting worse vs the Devils getting better AND being a darkhorse for the playoffs kind of points to the narrative that some writers think the Devils will be better. This doesn't even take into account the pending "CAP DOOM". How someone can think that the Rangers can go from outside the playoff picture, GET WORSE, but somehow still make it? Which team that made the playoffs got EVEN MORE WORSE than the Rangers apparently did? Also Philly's moves are getting praise too so we have that to contend with. Yeah, Drury getting roasted out there.

It ain't true until it is, but that isn't a reach to come to that conclusion.
Overall I think anyone saying what the Rangers are going to be or aren't going to be isn't going to be right.

The team has a new coach as well as tons of young players who could take significant steps forward next season, let alone the fact that Drury can still make more moves. The rush to judgement in any direction is always a bit weird to me. Even weirder the case of a team with a new coach, re-worked roster balance, that will surely have a new system that we have yet to see on the ice yet.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
WTF is Buffalo doing?

idk, i think they need their own house in order before dumping it on others.

Put Eichel on ice or figure out the surgery. Then comes the possible trade, etc imo.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Shortened season made people forget how inconsistent Buch has always been. He’s always been good for like 1 20 game streak without a goal in his career.

It was masked by not playing a full 82 IMO.
I wasn't able to find any split stats but someone mentioned that Buch always scored when we were already up big or we were down and out. Never had any big or meaningful goals. Don't know if there is any actual truth to that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad