Speculation: Roster Building Frenzy Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I wasn't able to find any split stats but someone mentioned that Buch always scored when we were already up big or we were down and out. Never had any big or meaningful goals. Don't know if there is any actual truth to that though.
Huh, I think he's one of the most clutch players on the team. He's scored 2 game tying goals with like 10 seconds left before. No one else on the team has one.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Isn't his gf/wife an ex-Swedish soccer player and television announcer? Doesn't she live in Sweden?

Girlfriend sends internet into a meltdown after Mika Zibanejad's historical five-goal game

If he got married a few weeks ago it was to her. She's also active on Twitter and comments on his games regularly. She seems pretty awesome, actually.

Edit: perhaps they're into polyamory.
Kreider said he was going to Sweden for a week in August for Mika's wedding. 95% positive he said August and not July.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
They really could do it one of two ways. I could see Robertson and Schneider, but if they are off to a slower start in Hartford you could just as easily see Tinordi and Bitteto.

The fact that we are rumored to be interested in Gudbranson lends me to think that they might be wanting most of the kids to marinate in Hartford for a full year.
That or let’s get tougher so dolan doesn’t flip his lid!

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Well one of them will. You don't sign Smith so one of Kakko/Kravtsov can play on the 4th line and not develop.
I don’t think adding Smith relegates either of them to the fourth line. Smith can slot on the third line as well and be effective, and give them more options to play matchups with Goodrow switching to 4th C as well.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Huh, I think he's one of the most clutch players on the team. He's scored 2 game tying goals with like 10 seconds left before. No one else on the team has one.

Scoring the mother of all softies after displaying atrocious shot selection does not make you clutch lol.

The Colorado goal was nasty though. Not an easy pass to tip in by any means.

Reactions: Richard Banger

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Scoring the mother of all softies after displaying atrocious shot selection does not make you clutch lol.

The Colorado goal was nasty though. Not an easy pass to tip in by any means.
There wasn't much he could do there with 9 seconds left when he shot, I think he was shooting for a Kreider or Howden redirection there, the only other thing he could've done is pass it along the ice and pray that #4 doesn't block it. He showed good alertness to kick that to himself after his shot got blocked and get another one off. Most goals in late game scrambles are garbage goals. I think there is something innate about some players who score those goals late, Matt Cooke was another example. He scored a game tying goal in the playoffs against Calgary with 5.7 seconds left & then one against Minnesota in the playoffs with 1.2 seconds left IIRC. Both garbage goals but I don't think its sheer coincidence when it happens multiple times with the same player.

But yea that Colorado goal was crazy, it should've got more hype in highlight reels than it did. That was a Crosby-esque play on Buch's part. He was the one who carried the puck into the zone too

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
RE: Chytil

If Fil was on another team with his track record of getting better every year and crushing his limited minutes we would have 500 pages dedicated to how we can get him to slot in as our young #2 center to grow with the young core…

But because he is on the NYR currently he has all of his flaws magnified and we have determined that he is not capable or ready for that role…

Give him the keys to the Ferrari (Panarin) and let him loose

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

If Fil was on another team with his track record of getting better every year and crushing his limited minutes we would have 500 pages dedicated to how we can get him to slot in as our young #2 center to grow with the young core…

But because he is on the NYR currently he has all of his flaws magnified and we have determined that he is not capable or ready for that role…

Agreed

I also think Chytil was better defensively than Zibanejad this past season. He just needs to work on face-offs and he'll be set. He's a very fast skater too which our team kinda lacks. The only thing is I don't think Chytil has great vision/playmaking. He tends to get tunnel vision once he gets the puck on his stick. I always say it but I think Kravtsov would make a better center than Chytil. But I don't think center depth of Zibanejad-Chytil-Strome-Goodrow-Barron is the horrible weakness that some do.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Agreed

I also think Chytil was better defensively than Zibanejad this past season. He just needs to work on face-offs and he'll be set. He's a very fast skater too which our team kinda lacks. The only thing is I don't think Chytil has great vision/playmaking. He tends to get tunnel vision once he gets the puck on his stick. I always say it but I think Kravtsov would make a better center than Chytil. But I don't think center depth of Zibanejad-Chytil-Strome-Goodrow-Barron is the horrible weakness that some do.
I think a bigger issue is we know strome and panarin have chemistry, so it might be hard to break them apart if strome is still on the team.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

It’s time. If you’re not gonna bring in another center it’s past due to give him the opportunity.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
There wasn't much he could do there with 9 seconds left when he shot, I think he was shooting for a Kreider or Howden redirection there, the only other thing he could've done is pass it along the ice and pray that #4 doesn't block it. He showed good alertness to kick that to himself after his shot got blocked and get another one off. Most goals in late game scrambles are garbage goals. I think there is something innate about some players who score those goals late, Matt Cooke was another example. He scored a game tying goal in the playoffs against Calgary with 5.7 seconds left & then one against Minnesota in the playoffs with 1.2 seconds left IIRC. Both garbage goals but I don't think its sheer coincidence when it happens multiple times with the same player.

But yea that Colorado goal was crazy, it should've got more hype in highlight reels than it did. That was a Crosby-esque play on Buch's part. He was the one who carried the puck into the zone too

The only chance that puck had of getting through the defender is if he kept it on the ice, not try to pick a spot that wasn't there. He took way to long to get it off anyway and was lucky the puck bounced back to him instead of in pretty much any other direction. There was no innate ability there, he threw the puck on net after it was block and hoped for the best and it worked. Thats a puck that should be stopped and covered every single time though.

He had Strome open before he skated himself out of that option too. I mean it worked at the end of the day, but it really had no business working. I was really f***ing mad at Bobrovsky when that puck went in because it gave us a point in the standings that we really didn't deserve (that also ended up working out for us.)

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Agreed

I see that too, but I equate it more to a player that is still figuring the league out and his line mates. If he bumps up to the 2C spot with Panarin I think the play making will come and he will have more opportunities to use those Fil-thy mitts in tight.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It’s time. If you’re not gonna bring in another center it’s past due to give him the opportunity.

Some people will flip out over it but its the right move.

He's a better defensive player than Strome already and one of the best players we have at putting high danger shots on goal. Why you wouldn't want to give that a go with Panarin, I don't know but I'm sure it has something to do with not having proven it yet or some other BS.

Reactions: leetch99

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I see that too, but I equate it more to a player that is still figuring the league out and his line mates. If he bumps up to the 2C spot with Panarin I think the play making will come and he will have more opportunities to use those Fil-thy mitts in tight.

He doesn't really need the vision playing with Panarin though.

Let him score the goals.

Reactions: leetch99

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Some people will flip out over it but its the right move.

He's a better defensive player than Strome already and one of the best players we have at putting high danger shots on goal. Why you wouldn't want to give that a go with Panarin, I don't know but I'm sure it has something to do with not having proven it yet or some other BS.
The only reason would be he struggles without the puck imo. He smothers the puck carrier and never puts himself in position to be setup. He puck watches a lot. That should be coachable. His toolbox isn't.

His job with Panarin would be simplified. Go get puck. Go get open. IMO he could be the 'pitbull' of the line. We've seen how effective he can be on the forecheck and has everything necessary to be a good defender.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t think adding Smith relegates either of them to the fourth line. Smith can slot on the third line as well and be effective, and give them more options to play matchups with Goodrow switching to 4th C as well.
I don't think we gave Goodrow almost 4M for 6 years to play 9 minutes on the 4th line.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The only reason would be he struggles without the puck imo.

He smothers the puck carrier and never puts himself in position to be setup. That's coachable. His toolbox isn't.

His job with Panarin would be simplified. Go get puck. Go get open.

You don't generate the amount of quality chances on net that he does with out being in a position to be set up.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I don't think we gave Goodrow almost 4M for 6 years to play 9 minutes on the 4th line.
I agree but at the sane time lineups change, matchups change, and injuries happen. Rarely do players stay on one line for the whole season. I’m on board for a full 82 with Kravtsov and Kakko playing on the top two lines for a full season but let’s be realistic.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I wasn't able to find any split stats but someone mentioned that Buch always scored when we were already up big or we were down and out. Never had any big or meaningful goals. Don't know if there is any actual truth to that though.
Not sure. I don’t want to downplay Buch as a player (or downplay how shitty I thought the trade was), just pointing out the romanticizing that’s been done this year because of the short season.

Derek Stepan (who I’d say was a better player than Buch) scored a PPG in a shortened season in a lower scoring league environment playing with worse players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->