Speculation: Roster Building Frenzy Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
RE: Chytil

If Fil was on another team with his track record of getting better every year and crushing his limited minutes we would have 500 pages dedicated to how we can get him to slot in as our young #2 center to grow with the young core…

But because he is on the NYR currently he has all of his flaws magnified and we have determined that he is not capable or ready for that role…

Give him the keys to the Ferrari (Panarin) and let him loose

So true.... me and @Ola say Jagr -lite

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
what quality of chances are you talking about

He was tied for the 3rd highest total of high danger attempts on the team 5v5 (Both he and Laf were a single attempt behind Buch who had 34, in Chytil's case this came in 200+ fewer minutes than Buch.)

Strome led the way with 42 ( in 250 more minutes.) Not only would Chytil have blown beyond everyone with more ice time, he easily bags more goals than Strome (I think we're in agreement here.)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Agreed

I also think Chytil was better defensively than Zibanejad this past season. He just needs to work on face-offs and he'll be set. He's a very fast skater too which our team kinda lacks. The only thing is I don't think Chytil has great vision/playmaking. He tends to get tunnel vision once he gets the puck on his stick. I always say it but I think Kravtsov would make a better center than Chytil. But I don't think center depth of Zibanejad-Chytil-Strome-Goodrow-Barron is the horrible weakness that some do.
Chytil had a > 1 takeaway/giveaway ratio. He was high event in both but this notion that he’s just some boneheaded one way player is simply wrong.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is where the analytics community loses me. Tatar is allegedly this great player but somehow couldn't get into a game in the playoffs for a team that went to the Cup Final and before that Vegas couldnt wait to get rid of him.

It's possible to have great analytics and not be a guy who gets your team through the playoffs.

We've seen a ton of them come through here over the years.

Reactions: DialUp

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This is where the analytics community loses me. Tatar is allegedly this great player but somehow couldn't get into a game in the playoffs for a team that went to the Cup Final and before that Vegas couldnt wait to get rid of him.

Yeah I read that... Any idea why? Did he just suck? Injury?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He was tied for the 3rd highest total of high danger attempts on the team 5v5 (Both he and Laf were a single attempt behind Buch who had 34, in Chytil's case this came in 200+ fewer minutes than Buch.)

Strome led the way with 42 ( in 250 more minutes.) Not only would Chytil have blown beyond everyone with more ice time, he easily bags more goals than Strome (I think we're in agreement here.)
there's different paths in getting to scoring chances.

Like I said, I have my reservations with Chytil, when it comes to playing with Panarin.. It doesn't mean he cant adjust or it wont work. Hopefully those 'things' are coachable.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Just suck
Part of it is some players games are designed for the regular season, and when things tighten up they do end up completely unable to adapt. Tatar has never done well in the playoffs from an analytics perspective, but those numbers are his regular season numbers.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Man watching Schneider's overall game gives me some real excitiment to see this kid in a Blueshirt in a year or two.
Ive been saying this kids package is unique to our organization. I fully believe he is the preferred player to keep here over nils long term.

And before we start the keep both stuff, we aren't keeping both long term if fox and trouba are here. Schneider will be nhl ready before troubas ntc opens up.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Elliotte Friedman wrote flat cap for 5 years a few months ago. Last week, he said three years. This season and just two more. Five years sucks. That's awful.

It have sounded like Sevarelli has taken over Bob M’s league source, right?

Sevarelli has the player debt to the league growing further next season. Recon it’s impossible to know how many teams will be subject to seating restrictions and if the fans will come back to the arenas. Could be 3-5, but in any event it changes how team has to work tremendously.

I think Francis made the right call acknowledging that cap is the most valuable currency in today’s NHL.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Some people will flip out over it but its the right move.

He's a better defensive player than Strome already and one of the best players we have at putting high danger shots on goal. Why you wouldn't want to give that a go with Panarin, I don't know but I'm sure it has something to do with not having proven it yet or some other BS.
It appears, based on the info that we have, that the Rangers don’t care to include Chytil in a trade for another center at this point, which signals to me that they think very highly of him. At this point it would be against common sense to value someone so highly and not put them in a larger role. The time has come.

Reactions: White Death 24

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I thought Miller did an admirable job but ultimately don't think he was ready yet..

Key needs to learn to not rely on his stick so much. I would make him play a portion of practice with a stick upside down or no stick at all so he can get better at using his body to defend. Improving his positional play in 1 on 1 situations will make him that much better of a defender and will get him to the next level.

Reactions: BobSantos

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Chytil had a > 1 takeaway/giveaway ratio. He was high event in both but this notion that he’s just some boneheaded one way player is simply wrong.

Chytil is still so young. His pts don’t stand out in comparison to like a young Zibanejad. But a young Zibanejad stood on the left side firing one-timers fed by Karlsson for Ottawa’s PP. I bet that Chytil easily compares with a young Ziba 5 on 5. Chytil also seem like a great kid with tremendous work ethic.

I agree that he has played a bit with blinders on heading up ice. But (a) he was rushed to the NHL. I would much rather seen him scoring 60 pts in 40 games in the Czech league one more year before going to a dysfunctional HFD team. (b) It hasn’t been easy for someone like him playing for Quinn who has stressed the opposite of what Chytil needed so much. (c) It’s problematic when you bring a kid in and can’t afford that kid any meaningful PP time etc. I am sure everyone who saw Chytil in HFD will vouch for that he was pretty slick down low on the PP and so forth.

Chytil could grow a ton in the somewhat near future. 3-5 years.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Some people here would have you believe eichel struggled to find a Twitter profile picture that showed his actual head attached to his neck. So proud of him for pulling it off on his new account...

Reactions: Thirty One

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Ive been saying this kids package is unique to our organization. I fully believe he is the preferred player to keep here over nils long term.

And before we start the keep both stuff, we aren't keeping both long term if fox and trouba are here. Schneider will be nhl ready before troubas ntc opens up.

Also, the fact that we jumped the Devils to snipe him in the draft, which totally pissed them off by the way, makes the Schneider pick for us even sweeter.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
RE: Chytil

If Fil was on another team with his track record of getting better every year and crushing his limited minutes we would have 500 pages dedicated to how we can get him to slot in as our young #2 center to grow with the young core…

But because he is on the NYR currently he has all of his flaws magnified and we have determined that he is not capable or ready for that role…

Give him the keys to the Ferrari (Panarin) and let him loose
Interestingly the nyr organization has had him here for years and hasn't given him that chance and are looking for a different option than doing that. Some of us don't argue our opinions, we just argue based on the tea leafs of what the org is doing and the direction it has shown.

I don't want fc traded, but I find it impossible the org will rely on him to take over the 2c role in a mandated playoff year after not giving him additional minutes last year once we were out of it. They have literally had the player and they haven't used him that way at all. Whether people agree with it or not it is simply the direction the org has taken and they are openly looking for a different center opposed to strome. If fc was going to center the 2c this year than strome would've already been dealt and another 3c would be here. They are obviously holding strome to get the 2c here again unless they find a better option. That indicates that the org doesn't view fc as a better option for the 2c role than strome. People need to let that reality sink in bc it is plainly obvious looking at the way the org has handled the last 3-4ish months.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
It appears, based on the info that we have, that the Rangers don’t care to include Chytil in a trade for another center at this point, which signals to me that they think very highly of him. At this point it would be against common sense to value someone so highly and not put them in a larger role. The time has come.

I've said it before. The kid is a phenomenal athlete. What remains to be seen is if his hockey IQ can match his athletics. I think that is just a matter of experience and frankly, he is so fricking young. He has years before he peaks and already what, 4 years of NHL experience?

All our GM's have to do is keep his AAV as low as possible so that when he is in his mid 20's, and he is killing it, we aren't paying him $7 - $8m a year till his UFA years or after.

I'm not going to pretend to know how to structure his future contracts. But, he is bargain skill at its finest.

For decades we said, "if only we had young cheap talent" to fill out the Vet dollars. Now we do and every malcontent Semi-Star that wants a trade we seem to be in on. And the price is those cheap young, talented player who we could have for over a decade if management played their cards right.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Interestingly the nyr organization has had him here for years and hasn't given him that chance and are looking for a different option than doing that. Some of us don't argue our opinions, we just argue based on the tea leafs of what the org is doing and the direction it has shown.

I don't want fc traded, but I find it impossible the org will rely on him to take over the 2c role in a mandated playoff year after not giving him additional minutes last year once we were out of it. They have literally had the player and they haven't used him that way at all. Whether people agree with it or not it is simply the direction the org has taken and they are openly looking for a different center opposed to strome. If fc was going to center the 2c this year than strome would've already been dealt and another 3c would be here. They are obviously holding strome to get the 2c here again unless they find a better option. That indicates that the org doesn't view fc as a better option for the 2c role than strome. People need to let that reality sink in bc it is plainly obvious looking at the way the org has handled the last 3-4ish months.

Was that an organization thing or a Quinn thing?

I'd say it was probably the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad