Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
To Montreal: Markstrom + Sutter (zero retention) + Eriksson (zero retention) + 2018 1st

To Vancouver: Carey Price

Montreal gets an extra 1st rounder and can comfortably draft BPA at the #3 spot while drafting Kotkaniemi at #7 to address organisational depth at center.

Vancouver gets Price. Seems Vancouver's defense, the addition of Price helps to counter their weak defense (to some extent). The presence of Price allows the Canucks to comfortably build up their defense, via picks, over the upcoming years. Guys like Demko and Dipietro can showcase themselves and eventually be moved for prospects in other areas.
Jesus if you were the G.M. we wouldn't have a 1st round pick for the next decade.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Actually very true. Every year you post trade ideas that involve the Canucks trading their 1st round pick. I still remember the awful proposal where you wanted to package our 2016 5th overall pick to dump the salaries of Burrows and Higgins. Just awful.

Brandon Gormley is the next Duncan Keith. Mark my words boys! :p

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Montreal really do need defense, I wonder if something around Galchenyuk for Tanev can be made.

But I see Galchenyuk possibly being used for them to upgrade at centre given it appears they think he's a winger.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Realistically, what would it take to trade for Erik Karlsson?

IF you could trade for Erik Karlsson at a reasonable offer, and IF you could sign Tavares with a near max cap hit offer, would the Canucks be a playoff team?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Realistically, what would it take to trade for Erik Karlsson?

IF you could trade for Erik Karlsson at a reasonable offer, and IF you could sign Tavares with a near max cap hit offer, would the Canucks be a playoff team?

With what we would most likely have to give up to get Karlsson, probably not. Really we need so much more depth to be competitive. We need stars, but we also don't have depth.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
With what we would most likely have to give up to get Karlsson, probably not. Really we need so much more depth to be competitive. We need stars, but we also don't have depth.

Fair enough.

I’m just trying to compare a potential acquisition cost of Karlsson in comparison to Hanifin. Karlsson is obviously a much better defenseman than Hanifin, but is also much older and will be a UFA fairly shortly.

Given these two facts, I wonder if the price tag of Karlsson would be similar to Hanifin?

Obviously - we would have to give up the 7th Overall, but if we could somehow land Karlsson without giving up one of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, then maybe you take the risk?

Bring in Karlsson, and then entice Tavares with a near max offer?

I think a core of Tavares, Horvat, Boeser, Karlsson, and Pettersson could make some noise.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Fair enough.

I’m just trying to compare a potential acquisition cost of Karlsson in comparison to Hanifin. Karlsson is obviously a much better defenseman than Hanifin, but is also much older and will be a UFA fairly shortly.

Given these two facts, I wonder if the price tag of Karlsson would be similar to Hanifin?

Obviously - we would have to give up the 7th Overall, but if we could somehow land Karlsson without giving up one of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, then maybe you take the risk?

Bring in Karlsson, and then entice Tavares with a near max offer?

I think a core of Tavares, Horvat, Boeser, Karlsson, and Pettersson could make some noise.
I thought the rumor was,,and i could be wrong,,but any team that is trading for Karlsson,has to take Bobby Ryan too.
I am a huge Karlsson fan and would love him in Vancouver,but not at the cost it would take to get him.But hey i have seen Jim Benning make some dumbass moves,so anything is possible.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I thought the rumor was,,and i could be wrong,,but any team that is trading for Karlsson,has to take Bobby Ryan too.
I am a huge Karlsson fan and would love him in Vancouver,but not at the cost it would take to get him.But hey i have seen Jim Benning make some dumbass moves,so anything is possible.

From a Canucks perspective, I don’t mind taking on Bobby Ryan if it lands us Erik Karlsson. It would mean that the Canucks would have to give up less picks/good young players since Ryan has negative value. Maybe the Sens could take Sutter and Gudbranson offf our hands if we’re taking Ryan (both Sutter and Guds’ contracts expire a lot earlier)?

I’m still intrigued at the idea of trading for Karlsson before July 1st, and then taking a massive run at Tavares. Tavares + Karlsson on this team, combined with the inevitable emergence of Pettersson, equals this Canucks team being pretty formidable.

Even if you have to give up two 1st round picks for Karlsson, we fans might lament the fact that we wouldn’t be able to draft high end talent for two years, but we’d have Karlsson and Tavares on our side. If that ever came to fruition, then what we’d really need are low cost support players.......players that could be drafted and developed with 2nd round picks. The Kole Lind’s of the world. Benning already drafts fairly well with late round picks and so I’m sure we’d be able to have an influx of young cheap support players coming into the system to support the likes of Horvat, Boeser, Karlsson, Tavares, and Petterssson.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Meh. At least they're entertaining and interesting. Some of them make me cringe, but most of them are pretty funny and out of the box. I don't think McHindu is being 100% serious himself.

A lot of times, I simply propose things that have crossed my mind looking to initiate discussion and garner feedback and counterpoints. As long as people don’t automatically assume that a lot of my proposed ideas are ideas that I am 100% behind, or 100% that I would do if I was GM, I think they will be able to relax a bit more if they see an idea of mine, lol. I always assumed that this was obvious since many of my ideas/proposals often contradict one another. To each their own. There is always an ignore function if people dislike my proposals that much.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The signing of OEL for over 8 mila year is bad news for Ott. That puts Karlsson in the 10-12 mil a year range for his next contract. No way cheap ass Melnyk coughs that up.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Tavares is going to California.

I heard Lebrun say yesterday that word has spread amongst NHLers that California and Florida are places to be.
I see Tavares in SJ, LA, Anaheim in that order.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
The signing of OEL for over 8 mila year is bad news for Ott. That puts Karlsson in the 10-12 mil a year range for his next contract. No way cheap ass Melnyk coughs that up.

Right but it also takes Ekman-Larsson off the trade market and drives up the price for Karlsson. If the Kings re-sign Doughty that really puts them in a good position.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Right but it also takes Ekman-Larsson off the trade market and drives up the price for Karlsson. If the Kings re-sign Doughty that really puts them in a good position.

Not really.

Teams know Melnyk is desperate to unload..

And if the price is too high then just keep all your assets and sign Karlsson in the offseason cuz hes a ufa..

IMO teams arent going to pay a ridiculous return for EK when they wouldnt know if he would re sign there.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Okay, I don't think you really get how trade negotiations work. Also, pending UFAs are almost always traded with extensions already negotiated. If a team wants to keep him that will be worked into the trade.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Seeing as how Benning values character so highly and ships out any supposed locker room problems, I doubt he's looking to acquire Hoffman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad