Line Combos: Roster 2019-2020

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Looking at these mockups just makes me incredibly furious that the offseason plan was Chiarot and Cousins instead of Gardiner and Gusev.

Gardiner didn't want to sign with Montreal. It sucks, but Montreal tried. I'm not sure how much appetite there was for Montreal to gamble picks and money on Gusev. We'll see if that was an opportunity missed, but I'm not losing sleep over it. He'll be UFA in two years anyways.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Gardiner didn't want to sign with Montreal. It sucks, but Montreal tried. I'm not sure how much appetite there was for Montreal to gamble picks and money on Gusev. We'll see if that was an opportunity missed, but I'm not losing sleep over it. He'll be UFA in two years anyways.
IMO you offer the 4th year and make in an offer he can't refuse. I get he likes Carolina but I doubt he likes it enough to leave a guaranteed extra 5M on the table. I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of paying Gardiner with his injury issues but if we're going to overpay Chiarot anyway I'm happy to add the marginal 1.75M to get Gardiner even if it means a 4th year (where if he's truly cooked he just goes on LTIR and it doesn't matter). De Haan another example either as a UFA last year or in trade this year, with how little it cost Chicago to get him I can't imagine there wasn't a way for the Habs to get him.

Gusev is the exact kind of player the Habs need to gamble on IMO, this team dominates shot share at 5v5 and struggles hugely on the PP and with finishing talent, a player like Gusev to add some flair/panache to the offence would have been a huge get with how effective Montreal already is at controlling play. I just think this team should have more urgency than it does in the macro-level competitive window sense with Weber/Price/Petry's age and contract status and Gardiner/Gusev would have been huge adds.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's up to Kulak to re-gain his second pairing assignments.

I'm a fan of Kulak and how he improved his game as the season went along last year. He really was very effective with Petry down the stretch. I hope he can be that guy and if he can, he should be playing with Petry.

Chariot signed with us cause he thinks he can play with Weber or Petry but that is not guaranteed. I don't hate Chariot signing but I do hate the 3rd year in term. I want to make my true judgement on him once the regular season starts cause I'm not so sure he is playing his physical game in the pre-season. His offensive skills are Benn like though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It does not suck that Gardiner did not want to play for Montreal. When are we going to learn that other teams spare parts are not our answer?

His offensive stats are inflated due to the stars the Leafs have and his defensive play is Beaulieu like. Stay away from players like this.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I'm still curious about how they manage to goaltending depth.

I think CP30 is clearly priority number one, McNiven number 2. If Lindgren backs up in Laval he may only get 20-25 games. I think he is an afterthought now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm still curious about how they manage to goaltending depth.

I think CP30 is clearly priority number one, McNiven number 2. If Lindgren backs up in Laval he may only get 20-25 games. I think he is an afterthought now.

Could easily see him being claimed off of waivers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Looking at these mockups just makes me incredibly furious that the offseason plan was Chiarot and Cousins instead of Gardiner and Gusev.

For me it was Subban (for the 2nds from the Shaw and Byron traded) and MoJo and/or Dzingle.

Those 2nds are too valuable for Gusev for me, but ok to use on Subban. I think Subban's such a gamer he could figure out how to play the left side.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would start the year like this:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Weal
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Cousins - Thompson - Armia
Peca

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Reilly - Folin

IR - Byron, Poeling

Love the composition of each line. Really think this gives us 3 great 2 way lines and a very good 4th line. Each line has a driver, playmaker, digger, 2 way ability, and finishing. The young C's (Domi, KK) each have a RH option for faceoffs.

If Poeling is out for any real length of time I'd send him to Laval to get back up to speed and be the first call up.

Pretty close to what CJ did today in practice, which I think will stick. Switch Domi and KK and Byron in for Cousins.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
For me it was Subban (for the 2nds from the Shaw and Byron traded) and MoJo and/or Dzingle.

Those 2nds are too valuable for Gusev for me, but ok to use on Subban. I think Subban's such a gamer he could figure out how to play the left side.
Yeah that too. Or trade Petry for an LD or a forward and keep him on the right side. There were a ton of guys available for 50 cents on the dollar this summer that could have been a big help.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah that too. Or trade Petry for an LD or a forward and keep him on the right side. There were a ton of guys available for 50 cents on the dollar this summer that could have been a big help.

Every year there are some that do well and some that flop.

Ex. when we got Radulov, there was also Staal who excelled. then there was also Sam Gagner who failed.

Who did you want this summer?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Confirmed practice lines and probably team roster.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Suzuki
Drouin Kotkaniemi Weal
Byron Thompson Armia

Cousins
Poehling
Hudon (probably waved)

Mete Weber
Chariot Petry
Kulak Fleury (probably sent down)
Reilly Frolin

Price
Kinkaid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Suzuki
Drouin Kotkaniemi Weal
Byron Thompson Armia

Cousins
Poehling
Hudon (probably waved)

Mete Weber
Chariot Petry
Reilly Frolin

Price
Kinkaid

How is Fleury probably sent down??

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
How is Fleury probably sent down??

This is where keeping Jordy Benn would of been of interest. Simply because of his versatility for playing either LD or RD.

Has Fleury outplayed Reilly and Folin? Yes
Can either Reilly or Folin play their off-D position? No

With Benn you could of rotated 3 D's for the last pairing assuring some respectable ice-time. But since Reilly and Folin can only play their position, both become depth. This is all fine if you carry an 8D squad, but limits the game play. And Fleury is still developing and requires ice-time.

Assuming a 7D squad and Kulak a lock for the LD 3rd pairing. Then Reilly has no spot in MTL. This implies rotating Folin and Fleury with Kulak, which could be fine. Having to sit at times 2-3 games is not ideal for Fleury's development.

Basically, it comes down to whom will be less hurt sitting thru games out of Reilly-Folin-Fleury. And considering the potential still at a rise for Fleury, sitting is not the best option, whereas Reilly and Folin have pretty much plateaued.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not sure how much appetite there was for Montreal to gamble picks and money on Gusev. We'll see if that was an opportunity missed, but I'm not losing sleep over it. He'll be UFA in two years anyways.
Team has no problem giving up 2 2nds despite having a crappy prospect pool for Andrew Shaw but won't beat a 2nd+3rd for the best player outside the KHL when they have a great prospect pool.
Those 2nds are too valuable for Gusev for me.
Why? So we can trade down with that 2nd to the 3rd just to pick up a 5th which we will trade for next years anyways? I don't see why 2nds are too valuable for a talent like Gusev.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is where keeping Jordy Benn would of been of interest. Simply because of his versatility for playing either LD or RD.

Has Fleury outplayed Reilly and Folin? Yes
Can either Reilly or Folin play their off-D position? No

With Benn you could of rotated 3 D's for the last pairing assuring some respectable ice-time. But since Reilly and Folin can only play their position, both become depth. This is all fine if you carry an 8D squad, but limits the game play. And Fleury is still developing and requires ice-time.

Assuming a 7D squad and Kulak a lock for the LD 3rd pairing. Then Reilly has no spot in MTL. This implies rotating Folin and Fleury with Kulak, which could be fine. Having to sit at times 2-3 games is not ideal for Fleury's development.

Basically, it comes down to whom will be less hurt sitting thru games out of Reilly-Folin-Fleury. And considering the potential still at a rise for Fleury, sitting is not the best option, whereas Reilly and Folin have pretty much plateaued.

I feel very confortable sitting Folin.

Only question for me is do we send Reilly down and risk losing him on waivers? If he's claimed, our backup at LD is Alzner and Ouellet.

I don't want to risk losing Folin on waivers because he's better than Reilly, there are question marks about Juulsen's health, and Brook needs more seasoning.

So I would keep 8 D up, and go with 13 forwards. Cousins and Hudon are my final cuts.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Team has no problem giving up 2 2nds despite having a crappy prospect pool for Andrew Shaw but won't beat a 2nd+3rd for the best player outside the KHL when they have a great prospect pool.

Why? So we can trade down with that 2nd to the 3rd just to pick up a 5th which we will trade for next years anyways? I don't see why 2nds are too valuable for a talent like Gusev.

Ultimately it depends on your evaluation of Gusev. Is he Chapychov (sp?)?

I do highly value 2nds now with Timmins being so hot, especially with dmen: Brook, Romanov, Strubble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Ylonen.

Reactions: Vachon23

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Ultimately it depends on your evaluation of Gusev. Is he Chapychov (sp?)?

I do highly value 2nds now with Timmins being so hot, especially with dmen: Brook, Romanov, Strubble, Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Ylonen.
I dont know why you would think he would be a Schipachev since Gusev had like double the amount of points than the 2nd highest scorer on his team while Schipachev played on a stack team before coming over.

Also, not only do we already have another 2nd, we could afford to trade inferior players like Byron and Lehkonen throughout the season if Gusev really shines and get that 2nd+ back.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I dont know why you would think he would be a Schipachev since Gusev had like double the amount of points than the 2nd highest scorer on his team while Schipachev played on a stack team before coming over.

Also, not only do we already have another 2nd, we could afford to trade inferior players like Byron and Lehkonen throughout the season if Gusev really shines and get that 2nd+ back.

Yeah I'm more into loading up on 2nds and only want to sacrifice that if it's for a really good cause. One has to have a very good read on Gusev, as in beyond the stat sheet, to do so.

I'm for moving Byron for a 2nd. Lehkonen I'm also open to if the 2nd is used well in a trade.

Bottom line is I just don't know Gusev's game well enough.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Suzuki
Drouin Kotkaniemi Weal
Byron Thompson Armia

Cousins
Poehling
Hudon (probably waved)

Mete Weber
Chariot Petry
Reilly Frolin

Price
Kinkaid

Yeah, I like that, but I think Fleury has earned regular season starts. See how he does when the real games start. Habs may have to send Poehling down for number reasons.

Hudon = waived.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah I'm more into loading up on 2nds and only want to sacrifice that if it's for a really good cause. One has to have a very good read on Gusev, as in beyond the stat sheet, to do so.

I'm for moving Byron for a 2nd. Lehkonen I'm also open to if the 2nd is used well in a trade.

Bottom line is I just don't know Gusev's game well enough.
Well I'm positive Byron would get more than a 2nd and so should Lehkonen based on what Burakovsky went for. Even if you don't know Gusev's game well enough, it should make sense to gamble on guys like him. We have many Lehkonen type players, we have very few Gusev type players.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
I feel very confortable sitting Folin.

Only question for me is do we send Reilly down and risk losing him on waivers? If he's claimed, our backup at LD is Alzner and Ouellet.

I don't want to risk losing Folin on waivers because he's better than Reilly, there are question marks about Juulsen's health, and Brook needs more seasoning.

So I would keep 8 D up, and go with 13 forwards. Cousins and Hudon are my final cuts.

Don't forget Leskinen on our LD depth. Before long he could be a better option than Reilly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad