Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Cousins - Thompson - Armia
Peca

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Reilly - Folin

IR - Byron, Poeling

Love the composition of each line. Really think this gives us 3 great 2 way lines and a very good 4th line. Each line has a driver, playmaker, digger, 2 way ability, and finishing. The young C's (Domi, KK) each have a RH option for faceoffs.

If Poeling is out for any real length of time I'd send him to Laval to get back up to speed and be the first call up.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
At least with Drouin, its a case of two disappointing seasons. But even in his case, I'm more concerned about the appearance that the coaching staff doesn't seem to know where they're playing him than his actual preseason performance.
He was handed top line LW and didn’t take it so they’re trying to see what line - if any he might stick with

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Remember Pacioretty's debut. He played 86 NHL games, then went to the AHL and he wanted to stay there. The difference in his play after his AHL stint was incredible. It can be really helpful to KK's offensive game.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Tatar-Danault-Gally
Drouin-KK-Domi
Byron-Phoeling-Suzuki
Lek-Weal/Thompson-Armia
Cousins

Weber-Mete
Petery-Chariot
Follin/Reilly-Kulak

Price
Kinkaid

By mid season this will be the teams line up barring injuries. It won't be day 1, but eventually I think this is where we wind up.

Follin/Reilly will probably be traded at some point and either Fleury or another RD is brought in.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Right. I think the plan is still Lehkonen-Domi-Drouin, but Suzuki may have made that decision a lot harder.
I liked Lehkonen and Gallagher together the other night, and Lehkonen-Domi-Shaw, but never liked Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
so yes, 3 pre-season games enough to change your mind on a 19-year old player...

interesting approach to analysis/evaluation, i'll certainly give you that.

Should we also be looking to send Domi down based on his mediocre play this pre-season?
Domi has been one of the better players but let's not get sidetracked.

Let me put it to you this way:
Domi and Danault are definitely the top two. A major catastrophe will have to befall those two to change matters. For the next month if Suzuki and KK continue to play the way they have, what do you do? Suzuki has been lights out better than KK at center. Does he deserve the #3 center spot? If you put Suzuki in the #3 would you put KK in the #4 or on the wing? Or would it be better for KK to go to the A and play 18-20 minutes with the Rocket's best wingers? And I'm not saying necessarily all year long.

Also, I love it with your need to get into a pissing match you distort what I said.

It's not an evaluation of three games. I told you I was not impressed with KK last year. Not enough to keep him with the club. As the year went on I was still not impressed. I saw major holes in his game. I responded to the poster the way I did because I listened to comments from other posters who raved about him. I figured He had a passable first year and would improve over the summer. So far none of the flaws that were there have been minimized. Actually, his game has gotten worse. With Suzuki on the team we don't need to play KK over his head. He can go down to Laval and regain his form.

I've changed my mind since July. Shoot me.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Domi has been one of the better players but let's not get sidetracked.

Let me put it to you this way:
Domi and Danault are definitely the top two. A major catastrophe will have to befall those two to change matters. For the next month if Suzuki and KK continue to play the way they have, what do you do? Suzuki has been lights out better than KK at center. Does he deserve the #3 center spot? If you put Suzuki in the #3 would you put KK in the #4 or on the wing? Or would it be better for KK to go to the A and play 18-20 minutes with the Rocket's best wingers? And I'm not saying necessarily all year long.

Also, I love it with your need to get into a pissing match you distort what I said.

It's not an evaluation of three games. I told you I was not impressed with KK last year. Not enough to keep him with the club. As the year went on I was still not impressed. I saw major holes in his game. I responded to the poster the way I did because I listened to comments from other posters who raved about him. I figured He had a passable first year and would improve over the summer. So far none of the flaws that were there have been minimized. Actually, his game has gotten worse. With Suzuki on the team we don't need to play KK over his head. He can go down to Laval and regain his form.

I've changed my mind since July. Shoot me.

Not sure why you feel the need to get so defensive.

Posting a take on a message board is inviting commentary. If you don't want your takes questioned or challenged, perhaps a public forum is not the best place to spend time?

I was merely confirming that your take on JKO pivoted based on a few pre-season games. Which you've confirmed.

I consider that a pretty weak way to evaluate a player, but that's simply my take.

As for our roster situation... If our GM was actually following any kind of youth & build via draft "plan", then it would follow that JKO, Suzuki & Poehling all get full time top 9 roles, as all three have shown more than enough NHL readiness.

Domi, who while productive offensively was relatively mediocre in other aspects of being a C, is imo better used as a top 6 winger. All 3 of the prospects behind him are better served developing at C.

Danault? I like the player a lot. He'd be ideal as a 3rd C on a contender. With us, he's occupying a top 6 role (top C last year in usage) BC of roster ineptness rather than ideal fit.

His next contract will likely push his relative value down, as he'll have ample evidence and reason to argue to be paid as a top 6C since that's how we deploy him.

He should be on the block, with Suzuki or Poehling at W until he gets traded.

That would be indicative of an actual plan to build our prospect talent into an eventual contender, but of course, MB neither has an actual plan, nor the competence to see it brought to life.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I would start the year like this:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Weal
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Cousins - Thompson - Armia
Peca

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Reilly - Folin

IR - Byron, Poeling

Love the composition of each line. Really think this gives us 3 great 2 way lines and a very good 4th line. Each line has a driver, playmaker, digger, 2 way ability, and finishing. The young C's (Domi, KK) each have a RH option for faceoffs.

If Poeling is out for any real length of time I'd send him to Laval to get back up to speed and be the first call up.

For me....

Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Cousins - Thompson - Weal
Peca

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Reilly

IR - Byron, Poehling

When Byron returns bye Peca

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not sure why you feel the need to get so defensive.

Posting a take on a message board is inviting commentary. If you don't want your takes questioned or challenged, perhaps a public forum is not the best place to spend time?

I was merely confirming that your take on JKO pivoted based on a few pre-season games. Which you've confirmed.

I consider that a pretty weak way to evaluate a player, but that's simply my take.

As for our roster situation... If our GM was actually following any kind of youth & build via draft "plan", then it would follow that JKO, Suzuki & Poehling all get full time top 9 roles, as all three have shown more than enough NHL readiness.

Domi, who while productive offensively was relatively mediocre in other aspects of being a C, is imo better used as a top 6 winger. All 3 of the prospects behind him are better served developing at C.

Danault? I like the player a lot. He'd be ideal as a 3rd C on a contender. With us, he's occupying a top 6 role (top C last year in usage) BC of roster ineptness rather than ideal fit.

His next contract will likely push his relative value down, as he'll have ample evidence and reason to argue to be paid as a top 6C since that's how we deploy him.

He should be on the block, with Suzuki or Poehling at W until he gets traded.

That would be indicative of an actual plan to build our prospect talent into an eventual contender, but of course, MB neither has an actual plan, nor the competence to see it brought to life.

You insist on reframing what I say so it's obvious we can't have a discussion.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
If healthy :
Domi-KK-Gally
Tatar-Dano-Byron
Lekh-Suzuki-Weal
Drouin-Poehling-Armia
Thompson-Cousins

Mete-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Chiarot-Fleury
Frolin

Price
Kinkaid

You put Thompson while Poehling gets back from the injury and gets his groove back in the AHL for a couple of games.
Dont think there's any other serious injuries.
Hope Varonne, Hudon, McCarron, Ouellet and Reilly dont get pick on waivers.
I could see us trade Reilly for an other D like Valiev/Kulak last year or for a C prospect like the Bitner/Olofsson trade.
Peca with his salary, even with a décent camp wont get claim.
Same thing with Weise and Alzner(not the decent camp, the salary).
Lindgren wont gent claim because of his contract. Olofsson is always injured so wont gent claim.

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
For me....

Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Cousins - Thompson - Weal
Peca

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Reilly

IR - Byron, Poehling

When Byron returns bye Peca
Reilley over Frolin?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Lines at practice today:

Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Weal
Byron - Thompson - Armia

Cousins - Poehling - Hudon

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury

Reilly - Folin

Its likely that the starting line-up looks like the bolded. Suzuki and Fleury making the team out of camp.

Poehling probably gets send down to the AHL (or IRed if he's still recovering) and one of Hudon/Reilly/Folin is waived or traded.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Lines at practice today:

Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Byron - Thompson - Armia

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury

Reilly - Folin

Its likely that the starting line-up looks like the bolded. Suzuki and Fleury making the team out of camp.

Poehling probably gets send down to the AHL (or IRed if he's still recovering) and one of Hudon/Reilly/Folin is waived or traded.
That 2nd like looks pretty interesting. I’d really like to see Leks take a step forward this year.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Lines at practice today:

Lehkonen - Domi - Suzuki
Byron - Thompson - Armia

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury

Reilly - Folin

I'm freakin happy for Fleury!!!! He was amazing most of the time during pre-season!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm kind of losing hope that it will happen, but if he can figure out his shot the way Byron did in Montreal, he'll be a good top-6 guy.

I like Lehk but he never seems to be balanced when he's in traffic. If he can gain that and learn to keep his stick free he may get a ton more of those garbage goals we need from him.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Kotka, Suzuki and Poehling, who's more suited to play on the wing?

Looks like Suzuki was chosen, but I wonder if his stature makes him a better center.

Jul 6, 2016

Looks like Suzuki was chosen, but I wonder if his stature makes him a better center.

KK was playing on RW in his last season in Finland, right ?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think its probably important that he's playing RW on Domi's line. Remember, Domi was a LWer in the NHL prior to last season, and he still has deficiencies defensively and on the dot. I'd bet the idea is that Suzuki and Domi will share some center duties. Specifically, Suzuki is RH shot and Domi is a LH shot, Julien may choose who takes the face-off based on that. KK and Poehling are both LH shots, so that doesn't work as well.

I actually like the potential of the Domi-Suzuki duo to start with. Its a way to try Suzuki in serious minutes with talented linemates and even give him some looks as a center. If Suzuki can score at the NHL level, it'll be a big boon as well.

Reactions: peate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad