Player Discussion: Ross Colton

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Colton had more even strength goals than Stamkos did this season in less games. Colton had more even strength goals and the same amount of even strength points as Stamkos in the playoffs. There's not currently a single player that's expected to be in the bottom 6 making more than 1M.

Joseph had a really good rookie year but a disappointing follow up and had to take a two year deal at league minimum. If he had his 13g 13a 26p season his last year of his ELC he's making much more yet they didn't give him any credit for that with the contract he got. Colton put up more points than Bellemare did last year and he got 1 x 2. Colton shouldn't take the deal that Barre-Boulet, Katchouk, Raddysh, Stephens or Joseph all took. Go for your money now, cause if you slip up a little they'll hold it against you. I don't think he's going to ask for the moon, I think the team will offer 850k and he'll probably ask 1.5M and they'll meet around 1.25.
cherry-picking-810x298_c.jpg

Reactions: Major4Boarding

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Kids got a shot and some solid offensive instincts. Looking forward to seeing him get some more opportunities this year.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Regular season Kiviranta has 7 more games played, if you count playoff games as well then Colton has more. Tampa scored only 10 more goals 5v5 goals than Dallas, they aren’t that much more of an offensive team than them. Gambrell was drafted the same year as Colton, he's got more games but hasn't really shown anything more in those games to warrant more money. Borgstrom didn't even play in the NHL this year and played 4 games in 19-20, why does he get 1M for 2 years? Frederic has played more games, great he's done nothing in those games. Texier production this year dropped for the year prior and got a nice deal. I get you want the player to show more over a longer period before you commit to them but you aren't paying the kid huge more and long term. It's probably just 250k differences they are off on.

Good points. Ironic that to most of us, 250k added to an annual salary is a LOT of money but to others, it is "just 250k". If it is indeed that amount they are separated by, both sides split the difference at 125k with the understanding that if Colton produces this season as he and his agent think he will, he gets rewarded during the off season with a rework or a new deal.
Last player is signed and we can look forward to the rest of the off season reading other boards rather than debating how much a bottom six player with 12 regular season games played should or should not earn.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Feels kind of like the time we let Alex Killorn's arbitration hearing get close and then we signed him before the date.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
How much cap we got left?
The team has around 1.134 left, and after signing Colton and likely sending Smith to waivers, they will have a choice between Katchouk and Raddysh. Following camp and pre-season, the team will probably either need to trade one of them or gamble that one will clear waivers. Alternatively, if both of them show they deserve a spot, Tampa could instead decide to trade/waive one of Joseph, ABB or someone else. This scenario seems less likely however.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
The team has around 1.134 left, and after signing Colton and likely sending Smith to waivers, they will have a choice between Katchouk and Raddysh. Following camp and pre-season, the team will probably either need to trade one of them or gamble that one will clear waivers. Alternatively, if both of them show they deserve a spot, Tampa could instead decide to trade/waive one of Joseph, ABB or someone else. This scenario seems less likely however.

I know I'm the lone voice in saying this, but I'm willing to put money on that midway through the season Katchouk and Raddysh will both be staples in our lineup.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I know I'm the lone voice in saying this, but I'm willing to put money on that midway through the season Katchouk and Raddysh will both be staples in our lineup.
Yeah, could definitely see that if they show the same abilities they showed last season in Syracuse. Raddysh as more of an offensive threat with Katchouk as more of a 2 way shutdown type(may have them reversed though).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

They've had how many years to develop? They damn well better. I don't care about scoring production as much as that I care that they're prepared to meet the demands of our structure and can execute the necessary fundamentals in all 3 zones.

Like just don't be the one guy who has no idea what he's doing out there like Volkov

Reactions: Major4Boarding

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They've had how many years to develop? They damn well better. I don't care about scoring production as much as that I care that they're prepared to meet the demands of our structure and can execute the necessary fundamentals in all 3 zones.

Like just don't be the one guy who has no idea what he's doing out there like Volkov

They're kind of typical TB rookies though. 22-24 years old, poised, usually after some AHL success.

Most of our rookies who tear up the AHL tend not to be just minor league scorers, even if many of them find their NHL success outside of TB. ABB's last little scoring tear makes me think he could be our next late blooming prospect.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
Would love to see what Colton can put up offensively if he plays with good line mates instead of the 4th line.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Colton has 1 point in 11 games and is tied for the worst +/- on the team with -4.

You wanted more money dude, time to earn it.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Needs to get stronger down low and be willing to drive to the net. He telegraphs everything with the puck. Not a fancy player but he's somewhere near the Paquette type of player. Typical 3rd/4th line center. He's playing as a warm body right now. Needs to be better around the net.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He’s been a disappointment this season so far. I really hoped Toss would give some punch to the bottom six but he’s not bringing much to the table at all right now.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
People wanted to protect him in the expansion draft and replace Cirelli in the top-6. Crazy how we over rate new guys.

I remember saying earlier before the season that he was a bottom 6 guy, that is what he is. He won't crack our top 6, perform while doing so at least.

I also said Raddysh and Katchouk would both have solid years, and be pushing for a top 6 role sooo........Yeah......

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Cooper won't do it but he should play Katchouk - Colton - Raddysh. They had very good success in the short time they were together in Syracuse. Colton works ok with Maroon but he doesn't with two slow wingers, he needs so speed to open up some space for him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cooper won't do it but he should play Katchouk - Colton - Raddysh. They had very good success in the short time they were together in Syracuse. Colton works ok with Maroon but he doesn't with two slow wingers, he needs so speed to open up some space for him.

That looks like a line that'll be pinned in our zone most of the time, all 3 of them are kind of weak down low. I think Perry needs to be moved off Colton's line and one of the rookies up but Maroon has done pretty well at winning those puck battles for Colton/Perry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad