Player Discussion: Ross Colton

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on Monday:
"He's been great. I think Ross has done well. The problem is I haven't got Ross on the ice enough. As we are kind of navigating our lines and chemistry, and how our team is fitting together, he's probably been shafted a little bit. We've talked about it. I got to find him a way to get more ice. I think the power play unit that he's on right now, he's looked good there. I think it's just a matter of time for him. I mean if you're going to score every night, then you're in the hall of fame. So a lot of guys can't do that. But I look at all the other parts of his game, and he's done really well. When you're doing the right things and you're putting yourself in positions to score, eventually you are going to score, so I'm not worried about that."

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He averages 12:34 minutes per game this year, he played 10:34/game last season and 10:14/game in the playoffs, he is playing a lot more. He's not doing bad or anything he's just not scoring. Perry needs to be booted off that line, try Joseph or Raddysh on the RW, didn't Joseph have both of his points in the playoffs last year with Colton and Maroon?

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
He averages 12:34 minutes per game this year, he played 10:34/game last season and 10:14/game in the playoffs, he is playing a lot more. He's not doing bad or anything he's just not scoring. Perry needs to be booted off that line, try Joseph or Raddysh on the RW, didn't Joseph have both of his points in the playoffs last year with Colton and Maroon?

Yeah, he had a 20% shooting percentage last year, 5% this year. He's playing fine, it's just reversion to the mean.

I really liked the Maroon-Colton-Joseph line last year (especially because it was our fourth line), but we can't really let the bottom lines drive the overall look.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Nobody really seems to be, though, so i'm not just holding this against him. The bottom six isn't having a Ross Colton or Corey Perry problem, its just having an identity problem. Theres a good amount of turnover and on a night to night basis last season, the third line honestly ate up a lot of the extra minutes Maroon and whoever else on the fourth would eat up. They have to find some kind of rhythm, though, they don't have a ton of time. Katchouk seems to embrace the banger role, Raddysh took a few games to get there but looks a lot better so far. Joseph is the one that I can't figure out, everyone is enamored with his speed but I still find him out of position, behind the play, or not really capable of driving play or possession. I don't see anything that makes me want to put him in the top six, and he doesn't fully fit the bottom six. Ironically, I see Ross having a bit better offensive sense when (rarely) placed with much better linemates.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Nobody really seems to be, though, so i'm not just holding this against him. The bottom six isn't having a Ross Colton or Corey Perry problem, its just having an identity problem. Theres a good amount of turnover and on a night to night basis last season, the third line honestly ate up a lot of the extra minutes Maroon and whoever else on the fourth would eat up. They have to find some kind of rhythm, though, they don't have a ton of time. Katchouk seems to embrace the banger role, Raddysh took a few games to get there but looks a lot better so far. Joseph is the one that I can't figure out, everyone is enamored with his speed but I still find him out of position, behind the play, or not really capable of driving play or possession. I don't see anything that makes me want to put him in the top six, and he doesn't fully fit the bottom six. Ironically, I see Ross having a bit better offensive sense when (rarely) placed with much better linemates.

They say an angel earns his wings every time Matty Joseph gets a well-timed shot off. It goes to heaven if it's on goal. The heavens sing welcoming the angel if he scores.

No wonder our bottom 6 is in hell

Last edited:

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Colton another no show tonight with no points. Also the only player with a minus rating. Also won only 1 out of 6 faceoffs.

As I said when he took our cap strapped team to arbitration, I'm going to single him out all season. You wanted the money Colton, you're not earning it.

They're going to have to make a decision at some point. He's waivers eligible but you can't keep him in the lineup if this continues.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Colton another no show tonight with no points. Also the only player with a minus rating. Also won only 1 out of 6 faceoffs.

As I said when he took our cap strapped team to arbitration, I'm going to single him out all season. You wanted the money Colton, you're not earning it.

They're going to have to make a decision at some point. He's waivers eligible but you can't keep him in the lineup if this continues.
He got a minus from the goal in OT - which definitely wasn't his fault.

Really dumb take when two guys on the team got points to single out a bottom sixer and not - say - Point.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
He got a minus from the goal in OT - which definitely wasn't his fault.

Really dumb take when two guys on the team got points to single out a bottom sixer and not - say - Point.

I'm singling out a guy who forced a team to pay him more money when he knew they had none, who is now doing literally nothing to help this team win.

Bottom six or not, you have to contribute. If you're okay with how he handled things, that's cool. I'm not. His selfishness would be easier to take if he wasn't the worst player on the ice every night. Bellmare and Joseph kill penalties, Maroon and Perry are enforcer types and are really only on the team for playoff runs anyways, Raddysh is a rookie. Colton, literally, contributes nothing.

It was his right to go the arbitration route (something that doesn't even belong in sports), and it's my right to hold him to a higher standard because of it. Especially when he knew this team had no cap space and after 12 points he thought he was in prime position to take every last penny we had. Nope. It's time for him to start producing.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm singling out a guy who forced a team to pay him more money when he knew they had none, who is now doing literally nothing to help this team win.

Bottom six or not, you have to contribute. If you're okay with how he handled things, that's cool. I'm not. His selfishness would be easier to take if he wasn't the worst player on the ice every night. Bellmare and Joseph kill penalties, Maroon and Perry are enforcer types and are really only on the team for playoff runs anyways, Raddysh is a rookie. Colton, literally, contributes nothing.

It was his right to go the arbitration route (something that doesn't even belong in sports), and it's my right to hold him to a higher standard because of it. Especially when he knew this team had no cap space and after 12 points he thought he was in prime position to take every last penny we had. Nope. It's time for him to start producing.
Look, these are actual human beings who are trying to make the best of what they got. Going after a player for negotiating the best deal for himself, taking care of his future is really dumb.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Why are we talking like he has a $5m caphit, the guy scraped for a couple hundred thousand and his caphit is just over a million.

Worst player on the ice? Clearly you're not watching Corey Perry.

Reactions: NatoGhost and Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

There's not all that many themes for line names. Initials, a commonality (youth in this case), maybe something from media.

Coltchoukysh

RBC line could work (Raddysh, Boris, Colton) could work, but RBC Bank is Royal Bank of Canada. Relevant in the hockey world, but not really something TB fans would think of.

RBK line would be like Reebok. (Raddysh & Ross, Boris Katchouk for the initials)

BTC - Boris, Taylor, Colton. Also, the abbreviation for Bitcoin.

Omicron Line, Quarantine Line. Basically a shutdown line. Probably too cheeky.

Might as well stick with the Kid Line.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
99% of line names are awful. Just go with whoever is the center.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Agree, Gourde's line was "the 3rd line" despite getting more (and more important) minutes than the "2nd line". Difference was that Stamkos's line had guys on PP1 whereas Gourde's did more PK.

Colton's line gets a new name once it starts to produce. For now its only distinguishing characteristic is the limited NHL experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad