Blue Jays Discussion: Ross Atkins named new GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Rogers can't compete with those guys they have shareholders!

this sounds like mockery, but it's true, they have shareholders so they can't operate at a loss, thus they have a set budget which would be able to fit these guys under. Maybe if they weren't paying the best offense in the league...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
One signing later and Price already looks like a bargain.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
The NFL has a hard cap, and despite being the most lucrative league in North America where every single franchise is worth over a billion dollars, and despite needing to field 53 players instead of 24, that hard cap is just over 140 million.

For example, the Cowboys are worth 4 BILLION dollars (Forbes estimates the Jays are 0.8 billion) and they've spent about 136 million on salaries for their 53 person roster this year. Last year the Jays spent more than that on 24 players.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lackey at $16m is the kind of stability/dependability signing that would have actually made sense.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Lackey at $16m is the kind of stability/dependability signing that would have actually made sense.

You want to give up a 1st round pick to sign Lackey? Realize that we are an ageing team who just pawned off half our system for a short-term window, and we also had no first round pick in last year's draft. A big part of the Happ signing is the fact that he comes with no draft pick penalty.

Also: Lackey wouln't sign here. It is well known that he was going to stay with an NL team.

LaCarriere

nfl doesn't allow it.

No, but every single NFL team makes a profit.

There's a lot more self-made billionaires in the states, and football is a lot more profitable than baseball.

There isn't a single NFL team on the Forbes "The Business of Football" list that it operating at a loss. The Atlanta Falcons have the lowest Operating Income at 25.4M. The Cowboys are #1 at 270M. By comparison there are 5 MLB teams operating at a loss, one of them being the Blue Jays at -17.9M. The Phillies are the lowest at -39M, and the top team is the Cardinals at +73.6. You can't compare the two sports, football is always going to be more attractive for people looking to buy a sports franchise.

The LA Dodgers actually lost money on the last Forbes "The Business of Baseball" list (-12.2M) because of their ridiculous payroll, despite a massive TV deal and being the second most valuable MLB franchise.

KingTY

Nov 10, 2002
Toronto
Locking Estrada and Happ up quickly for reasonable deals + trading for Chavez is looking better and better ehhhhhh Zeke :D

This money really is getting absurd

Grand Volcan

Jul 10, 2007
Kelowna
All signs point to this being our rotation at the beginning of the season and we probably still get a playoff spot. But I'm still extremely disappointed because even if all we added was another #2 pitcher, we could run away with the division and probably be the best team in the AL. But now it's up in the air. It just feels like this opportunity of both the yanks and red sox being down only comes once every couple decades and we threw it away by playing it safe. I would be fine if our farm was better then either NY or Boston, but our farm can't really compare to theirs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

atkins believes the starting rotation as constituted is good enough for the blue jays to contend in 2016, that the club still needs some “complementary pieces,” and that the organizational depth needs to be fortified.

His outlook on 2017 and beyond is less clear.

“first and foremost, i see this team as very, very good. One that people will fear, and they’re going to be competitive,” said atkins. “really [competitive] windows, they’re difficult to talk about. You have to think about them, you have to plan for them, but it’s more about being flexible and agile, you have to face every decision and every threshold as it presents itself, and when you go through the process of making big decisions, understand how it impacts you in the short-term and long-term.

“i don’t foresee anything bigger than let’s think about how we can make this team as good as it can be, see where that takes us and then we’ll have to be prepared and think through what our alternatives are given our circumstances.”

in a lot of ways, there’s the rub.

Anthopoulos very much viewed the 2017-18 seasons as win-now seasons, too. He would have made those years the priority. If the blue jays don’t win next year and change course afterwards, atkins and shapiro are going to wear it.

if all that builds on what’s in place and the success continues, no one is going to mind one bit. If it doesn’t, people will justifiably, and probably angrily, ask why the blue jays messed with success, just when it finally arrived.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
this sounds like mockery, but it's true, they have shareholders so they can't operate at a loss, thus they have a set budget which would be able to fit these guys under. Maybe if they weren't paying the best offense in the league...

Let's stop this fallacy of shareholders have anything to do with Robbers decisions on the Jays. There is a trust company that own 90% of the voting shares so all decisions are at the board level

The only way the board even worries about is if they did sign Price for $31 million then their shares drop sharply and all other leftover shares get sold to as a reaction to the signing which doesn't happen

Overall baseball decisions don't affect the overall health of Rogers to a point it will get people to sell shares

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Danny Gallagher of the Canadian Baseball Network, Jay Alou (Jose Bautista’s agent) says Bautista would love to finish his playing days with the Toronto Blue Jays.

http://www.canadianbaseballnetwork....ista-wants-to-finish-his-career-as-a-blue-jay

His teammates love him.

Management loves him.

Fans love him.

So what does it take to have Jose Bautista signed to a new, multi-year contract by the Blue Jays?

“If the Blue Jays want Jose back, he’d be very happy to end his career there but if they don’t want him, he will become a free agent,’’ Bautista’s agent Jay Alou said late Friday afternoon from the Dominican Republic.

“He’d be very happy to stay in Toronto. We’ll see what happens. We’ll see if Toronto wants to keep him. Jose is a hard worker. He works harder than anyone on the team.’’

Alou, son of former major-leaguer Jay Alou and nephew of former Expos manager Felipe Alou, said there have been no contract talks so far this off-season. Of course, there is no hurry but at some point, Bautista and his agent might say that if there is no new contract in place by the end of spring training then the player might test the free-agent market following the 2016 season.

A little over a month ago on Nov. 3, the Blue Jays exercised the $14-million option the team had on Bautista for 2016. It’s agreed almost universally that Bautista signed a team-friendly contract the last time around: a five-year deal worth $65 million in 2011.

From 2012 through 2015, Bautista’s annual salary remained the same at $14-million, the same as his 2016 option. His salary in 2011 was only $8-million, according to many web sites.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Essentially, "Bautista really wants to stay in Toronto and retire there, and will only leave if the Jays don't want him. Oh, and if we don't have our contract by the end of spring training, we are leaving."

lol weird way to say it

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Essentially, "Bautista really wants to stay in Toronto and retire there, and will only leave if the Jays don't want him. Oh, and if we don't have our contract by the end of spring training, we are leaving."

lol weird way to say it

The writer put that last comment in there.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

I think Rogers could easily justify a loss on the Jays as an investment for the future.

There's a reason our attendance wasn't very good for the first half of last season... this is a team that hadn't been relevant for over twenty years!

As a 21 year-old lifelong Torontonian, I can testify to the fact that I never really became invested in the Blue Jays because until this season, I had never experienced a single reason to.

I had never even watched a single MLB playoff game outside of the odd World Series game, in my entire life before this season.

After the epicness of this past season, I have become fairly invested in the success of the Blue Jays. So long as this new management group doesn't completely piss me off, I'm likely to continue caring about the Jays well into the future, even in down years.

Most of the people I know in my age group or younger probably feel the same way. If Rogers pushes this team into the playoffs for two more years in a row, I think that investment will definitely have paid off, just by cementing the idea of being "Jays fans" into a large group of young people, who never cared about this team before.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Buehrle/Romero/Izturis 2015 - $31m, 1 roster spot
Price 2016 - $31m, 1 roster spot

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I think Rogers could easily justify a loss on the Jays as an investment for the future.

The Blue Jays always budget to operate at a loss. The question is how much of a loss is acceptable, and is it sustainable to pay $31M for a guy in 2020 when the fanbase has shown zero commitment to show up for a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad