Blue Jays Discussion: Ross Atkins named new GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I don't follow baseball as in depth as i used to, in terms of contracts etc, but how the hell did Rusney Castillo get that contract? IFA?

LaCarriere

I think Rogers could easily justify a loss on the Jays as an investment for the future.

There's a reason our attendance wasn't very good for the first half of last season... this is a team that hadn't been relevant for over twenty years!

As a 21 year-old lifelong Torontonian, I can testify to the fact that I never really became invested in the Blue Jays because until this season, I had never experienced a single reason to.

I had never even watched a single MLB playoff game outside of the odd World Series game, in my entire life before this season.

After the epicness of this past season, I have become fairly invested in the success of the Blue Jays. So long as this new management group doesn't completely piss me off, I'm likely to continue caring about the Jays well into the future, even in down years.

Most of the people I know in my age group or younger probably feel the same way. If Rogers pushes this team into the playoffs for two more years in a row, I think that investment will definitely have paid off, just by cementing the idea of being "Jays fans" into a large group of young people, who never cared about this team before.

to add to what theaub just posted, the Jays have had some moderately successful years even though they didn't make the playoffs. We literally had this exact discussion earlier in this thread.

The problem with baseball in a hockey town is that success is typically measured on playoff appearances / success, but baseball is infinitely harder to make the playoffs than hockey. Baseball is a long season, you can see a lot of good baseball and still miss the playoffs considering only 8 teams make the playoffs, 10 if you want to count the 1 game wildcard game (but for most of the 22 years the Jays didn't make the playoffs there was only 1 wildcard). To say "if Rogers pushes this team into the playoffs for 2 more years in a row" kind of shows your lack of understanding of how hard it is to make the playoffs in baseball, especially in the AL East. The Dodgers in 2009 won 95 games and missed the playoffs the next 3 years. Boston won it all in 2013 and haven't been back to the post season. There's tons of similar examples of teams coming off good/great years, then missing the playoffs.

I find it pretty ironic that youngsters like yourself (I'm only 30, but I was around for the 92/93 WS wins) can claim you're likely to care about the Jays in the future through thick and thin, but yet the only year in your life you've really cared about the Jays was 2015. Do you realize how silly that sounds? No offense, but 75%+ of people in your position are going to be off the bandwaggon just as fast as you got on if the Jays have an average season, and I'm sure Rogers is paying attention. It's hard enough to watch/attend most/all of the games even in a winning season - 162 games is a huge time commitment, never mind in a mediocre / losing season. I've always loved the game, played it since I was a kid. I've been a die hard fan of the game my whole life and I found it tough to care about the Jays in the late 90s to late 2000s. Mid 90s after the WS wins weren't bad because I was still a kid and watched with my dad, but once I was a teenager it became tough. 2 months of success doesn't erase 22 years of mediocre baseball.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
You are really hurting inside, eh?

He just wasn't into you. It's time to move on.

You know those internet memes where the guy sends six variants of 'hey what's up?' in a day to some poor girl's phone and she never responds?

Someone should check David Price's phone.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
TSN 1050 And ESPN MLB Analyst, Keith Law joined host Gareth Wheeler to discuss the Toronto Blue Jays' new management structure that now includes both Mark Shapiro and Ross Atkins, and how the team's off-season moves have caused them to regress in the AL East.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/BH_Law_Dec4.mp3

Law thinks Happ is essentially a replacement level starter. Obviously he's going to think they've regressed.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A bit premature to be making bold proclamations regarding the AL East. The off season just started and the Jays still have some money to spend as well as roster depth to use as trade bait.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You know those internet memes where the guy sends six variants of 'hey what's up?' in a day to some poor girl's phone and she never responds?

Someone should check David Price's phone.

He wasn't into Toronto, but he was into Boston? Does not make sense. He just went to the team that was willing to offer him the most money. Simple as that. I am willing to bet that if Toronto and Boston had identical offers on the table, he'd choose Toronto.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
people expected him to get as much as Happ?

He's getting $18 million per year. Happ's getting $12 million per year. $6 million is not a couple.

MLBTR had him at $16 million per for five years. Fangraphs crowdsourcing had him at $16 per for four years.

So... he got a couple million more than most expected.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Just like we have a GDT thread and a discussion thread during the season, there should be a baseball thread and a payroll thread so at least we can keep some of the same inane posts slightly contained.

Even the Dodgers couldn't sign Price or Greinke, yet apparently our season's already ended because we're not paying Price 30 million when he's 37 in hopes that he can avenge his non-ace performance this year in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad