Confirmed with Link: ROR traded to STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
ROR had twice as many penalty minutes tonight as he had all of last year.
I'll accept 4 min of penalties when the guy is the best Blues' defender in a game that he gets an assist, and wins 20 out of 23 draws! HE wasn't the reason that The Blues didn't get 2 points tonight.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Yeo effect. Nah, but in all honesty, I love this guy. Already has 4 points and was 87 freaking percent in the faceoff dot tonight. Does everything right, great awareness in the D zone, and is very skilled with the puck.
Love his game too. Didn't mean to be critical, just thought it was interesting.

Reactions: mw2noobbuster

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'll accept 4 min of penalties when the guy is the best Blues' defender in a game that he gets an assist, and wins 20 out of 23 draws! HE wasn't the reason that The Blues didn't get 2 points tonight.
Wasn't trying to dump on him, just found it to be interesting stat.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
This guy is a monster. Strong defense, unbeatable on faceoffs, tenacious puck hound on the forecheck, has a good shot and good playmaking skills. He does it all.

Noticeably better than a guy like Stastny.

Agreed - definitely an upgrade over Stastny. His play reminds me of Schwartz, except at center instead of wing.

Reactions: BlueDream

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I remember when I thought we paid too much money for Stastny, though I hoped he would be a dominant center coming home to St. Louis. I saw ROR in a preseason game in Dallas and I’ve watched the two regular season games on TV!! This guy is a top center. He plays both ways, can pass with the best of them, and has a dangerous shot. We haven’t had a center like him in a while and his salary doesn’t scare me versus what we paid for Stastny.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I remember when I thought we paid too much money for Stastny, though I hoped he would be a dominant center coming home to St. Louis. I saw ROR in a preseason game in Dallas and I’ve watched the two regular season games on TV!! This guy is a top center. He plays both ways, can pass with the best of them, and has a dangerous shot. We haven’t had a center like him in a while and his salary doesn’t scare me versus what we paid for Stastny.

Agreed. I know it’s a small sample size, but he looks loads better than Stastny. Only times I’ve ever really been impressed with Paul is when he had a really good RHS on his wing like Laine.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Agreed - definitely an upgrade over Stastny. His play reminds me of Schwartz, except at center instead of wing.

I came here to say this. He's much quicker/shiftier and much more tenacious on the puck carrier than I expected him to be (much like Schwartz is). I've also noticed he's really good at stick-handling and making plays in tight situations where there's not a lot of room (again, much like Schwartz). I'd say his defensive positioning is better than Schwartz's, which is what makes him better defensively overall, although this is kind of expected because, generally, centers are suppose to be more defensive-minded than wingers. He doesn't hit much, which is one of the few things he doesn't do well, but he more than makes up for that in his ability to strip the puck from guys and by having strong defensive positioning to pick off passes.

If he keeps playing like he has, this is going to turn out to be possibly the best trade Armstrong has ever made. And the kicker? He's signed for 5 years, and for only $500k more than Stastny was.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think ROR's skating deficiencies are overblown. He skates as well as he needs to. He can have a pretty solid burst of speed when necessary. He's much like Getzlaf in that regard. They won't blow you away with their speed, but they don't need to. They'll beat you in a thousand other ways.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think ROR's skating deficiencies are overblown. He skates as well as he needs to. He can have a pretty solid burst of speed when necessary. He's much like Getzlaf in that regard. They won't blow you away with their speed, but they don't need to. They'll beat you in a thousand other ways.
I think it's just his stride that makes him look bad. It looks like hes laboring to skate.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Glad to see ROR is doing well, he is such a beast. I still think it’s a win-win trade and it’ll make both teams better* (hopefully, I’m a Sabres fan)

*No doubt he’ll be a win for you all, I’m optimistic about us too! I think the complaints of ROR were isolated to the very specific situation in buffalo and speak nothing to his play or locker room presence for the blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbrownss and shmotz

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Berglund scratched and terrible. Sobotka useless but gets loads of icetime. Thompson good during pre-season but belongs in AHL.
The former blues players have been our absolute worst forwards.

I sure hope that 1st rounder amounts to something.

I hope you enjoy ROR. What a fleecing.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Berglund scratched and terrible. Sobotka useless but gets loads of icetime. Thompson good during pre-season but belongs in AHL.

Thank you for info. Berglund scratched. Love it. So happy right now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Hopefully Thompson’s development doesn’t get ruined because yeah, the kid just isn’t ready for the NHL. Which isn’t a big deal because he’s only 20-21 years old. He just needs at least another year before he can contribute.

But hey look at the bright side, at least you guys have won more than 1 game! We can’t say that yet.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Hopefully Thompson’s development doesn’t get ruined because yeah, the kid just isn’t ready for the NHL. Which isn’t a big deal because he’s only 20-21 years old. He just needs at least another year before he can contribute.

But hey look at the bright side, at least you guys have won more than 1 game! We can’t say that yet.
Yeah, I have never liked 19-21 year olds constantly getting called up/down or healthy scratched in the NHL. Let those guys focus on their game in one place or another and get playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad