Confirmed with Link: ROR traded to STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I hope its going to Be Fabbri instead of Maroon who'll play with ROR and Tarasenko.
Eh, they've floated Fabbri Thomas as a twosome. Those 2 will play some insane high IQ hockey together. Depends on minutes imo. If Maroon isnt dragging Orielly and Tarasenko down, then he can stay there.

Reactions: The Note in MI

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I just love how we can spread out this depth. Fabbri-Thomas-Jaskin as a 4th line is just dirty, that's a solid 3rd line on any other team. Jaskin can just play his simple physical game and go to the front of the net to clean up the garbage while those two put on a show against other bottom 6'ers. Not to get ahead of myself but I could actually see Jaskin potentially getting double digit goals again that way.

If a young guy like Blais or Sanford can step up, then them with Steen and Bozak is a very good 3rd line that will create offense.

And we all know about the top 6.

I love this roster.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I just love how we can spread out this depth. Fabbri-Thomas-Jaskin as a 4th line is just dirty, that's a solid 3rd line on any other team. Jaskin can just play his simple physical game and go to the front of the net to clean up the garbage while those two put on a show against other bottom 6'ers. Not to get ahead of myself but I could actually see Jaskin potentially getting double digit goals again that way.

If a young guy like Blais or Sanford can step up, then them with Steen and Bozak is a very good 3rd line that will create offense.

And we all know about the top 6.

I love this roster.
I’m so excite to see how things shake out.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Agreed. I hope Maroon is just a placeholder until Fabbri is back up to speed.

I think Maroon is going to surprise you if you think he’s merely a placeholder. I think his size, toughness, skill and net presence would blend well on the 1st line with ROR and Tarasenko. He’d score 30G on that line.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I think Maroon is going to surprise you if you think he’s merely a placeholder. I think his size, toughness, skill and net presence would blend well on the 1st line with ROR and Tarasenko. He’d score 30G on that line.
I appreciate your optimism but his career high of goals is 27 playing with the best player on earth. I think he’s fine for a spell here or there but Fabbri and Vlad had some chemistry. I think Fabbri is a much better player and would accent that line much better than Maroon.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Eh, they've floated Fabbri Thomas as a twosome. Those 2 will play some insane high IQ hockey together. Depends on minutes imo. If Maroon isnt dragging Orielly and Tarasenko down, then he can stay there.

Interesting, I wonder if they'll try Fabbri- O'Reilly- Thomas and run Schwartz- Schenn- Tarasenko at some point. So many possible combos.....

Maroon getting an early look with O'Reilly- Tarasenko isn't something I'm particularly excited about but it sure is nice to know we have tons of options.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Interesting, I wonder if they'll try Fabbri- O'Reilly- Thomas and run Schwartz- Schenn- Tarasenko at some point. So many possible combos.....

Maroon getting an early look with O'Reilly- Tarasenko isn't something I'm particularly excited about but it sure is nice to know we have tons of options.
Yea, I doubt anything is set in stone.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Tage was unreal yesterday in the tournament.

Good chance he enters the big club with the best shot and hands on the team. Then you factor in his size and holy cow.

Finding a guy with his size, shot, and hands is extremely rare.

Man, I'd love to visit whatever universe you're living in

Reactions: Stealth JD

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Eichel was on the most recent episode of Spittin Chiclets. They asked him about the supposed rift with ROR. He said they were really good buds and they thought the rumors were hilarious. Eichel said in the middle of the season while the rumors were swirling ROR scored a goal and kind of breezed by Eichel jokingly and the media in Buffalo ran with it. Went on to say he and ROR thought about just leaning into it and not acknowledging each other on the ice after goals and such. So maybe, just maybe, O’Reily’s perceived attitude problems are just frustration from a guy who’s played on dog shit teams most of his career and he’s tired of losing?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Eichel was on the most recent episode of Spittin Chiclets. They asked him about the supposed rift with ROR. He said they were really good buds and they thought the rumors were hilarious. Eichel said in the middle of the season while the rumors were swirling ROR scored a goal and kind of breezed by Eichel jokingly and the media in Buffalo ran with it. Went on to say he and ROR thought about just leaning into it and not acknowledging each other on the ice after goals and such. So maybe, just maybe, O’Reily’s perceived attitude problems are just frustration from a guy who’s played on dog **** teams most of his career and he’s tired of losing?

that's hilarious. i'm going to be watching a lot of Buffalo games with Dahlin, Eichel, Mittelstadt and the plethora of former-Blues. it will be fun watching that team rise, because it's only a matter of time before they're a power.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Eichel was on the most recent episode of Spittin Chiclets. They asked him about the supposed rift with ROR. He said they were really good buds and they thought the rumors were hilarious. Eichel said in the middle of the season while the rumors were swirling ROR scored a goal and kind of breezed by Eichel jokingly and the media in Buffalo ran with it. Went on to say he and ROR thought about just leaning into it and not acknowledging each other on the ice after goals and such. So maybe, just maybe, O’Reily’s perceived attitude problems are just frustration from a guy who’s played on dog **** teams most of his career and he’s tired of losing?
I believe he chiclets guys more than any media source they dgaf about perception. Love when they get guys on there

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Haha, funny when players decide to mess with the media when they are pushing BS.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I believe he chiclets guys more than any media source they dgaf about perception. Love when they get guys on there
Yeah SC is pretty well done. Whit and Biz bring an interesting player perspective (and some great stories) and they get candid interviews from current and former players. It’s certainly not the place for hard-hitting analysis but that’s not what I’m listening for. RA does a good job of bringing the “Joe Fan” perspective and seems pretty up-to-date on the stuff going on around the league. Spittin Chiclets and Pardon My Take are the only bearable parts of the Barstool network. The rest of it can rot.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think Eichel, Middelstat and Dahlin will disagree. Thompson will be a good complimentary piece

He does have great hands for a big guy. Great skater for his size, too. He's been really impressive for Buffalo so far through the rookie camp and early pre-season. It's taking a bit of the sting out of the trade. Hope ROR is awesome for you guys. (As a personal perk, living in STL, now I have a bit more incentive to go watch some Blues games.)

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He does have great hands for a big guy. Great skater for his size, too. He's been really impressive for Buffalo so far through the rookie camp and early pre-season. It's taking a bit of the sting out of the trade. Hope ROR is awesome for you guys. (As a personal perk, living in STL, now I have a bit more incentive to go watch some Blues games.)
I never said he didn't.....he's still not better then those I listed. He was amazing for the Blues last year till the real games started. With that said I hope the best for him and Buffalo, fairly indifferent towards him moving forward.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Tage was a disappointment last year. He probably would have been served better by a full AHL season, but the injury situation provided him with an opportunity. It just felt like he squandered it to a large degree. He was invisible during games, the definition of a passenger. The physical tools you mention were there, but we never got to see him really use them (other than that one glorious sequence when he was fed the puck 3 times in a row like a practice drill).

My personal expected ceiling for him went down after how last season played out. I wasn't surprised to see the team include him in the trade. It had more to do with his 'fight' and intensity than anything else specific. I just don't expect him to be able to translate his set of tools into a top 6 player. But I do wish Buffalo luck, and hope I'm wrong about Tage.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I didn't think Thompson was that bad at all for us last year, he was thrown into a tough situation and did a serviceable job IMO. I thought he looked really good early but started to fade as the season progressed, which isn't too uncommon for a rookie. I was particularly impressed with his ability to retrieve pucks along the boards and attack the middle of the ice. An offseason to bulk up will have done him a lot of good and I could see him scoring 20 goals if he plays the full year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This is incredible.

The more I hear about ROR the more I love the guy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I didn't think Thompson was that bad at all for us last year, he was thrown into a tough situation and did a serviceable job IMO. I thought he looked really good early but started to fade as the season progressed, which isn't too uncommon for a rookie. I was particularly impressed with his ability to retrieve pucks along the boards and attack the middle of the ice. An offseason to bulk up will have done him a lot of good and I could see him scoring 20 goals if he plays the full year.

What? This sounds like a nuanced evaluation of a player that falls somewhere between he's a sure-fire franchise stud and he is utter garbage not worth the paper is contract is printed on. What type of witchcraft is that, heathen. We don't truck with that foolish nonsense here. Either a player is amazing or he is trash. He is amazing from the moment we draft him until he fails to meet the total unrealistic expectations we set for him, then he's trash.

Remember when Tage was the best thing since sliced bread after he had 3 shots on one possession. Good times.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I contrast his season with Fabbri's rookie year. Ignoring the stat lines, Fabbri showed a total lack of intimidation, and an ability to get involved with the game consistently. He created action, and as the season went along we saw growth in his confidence. With Thompson, it was more of the opposite. Maybe it was all too soon for him, but the difference between those two players is why I mentally lowered my hopes for Tage's ceiling.

For another example, see Dunn's rookie year. Different position, obviously, but he showed a growing capacity to deal with the NHL game as the season went along. I failed to see that growth in Tage's game as the season went along. It became increasingly difficult for the coaches to find a good spot for him in the line-up. Remember the healthy scratches?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I contrast his season with Fabbri's rookie year. Ignoring the stat lines, Fabbri showed a total lack of intimidation, and an ability to get involved with the game consistently. He created action, and as the season went along we saw growth in his confidence. With Thompson, it was more of the opposite. Maybe it was all too soon for him, but the difference between those two players is why I mentally lowered my hopes for Tage's ceiling.

For another example, see Dunn's rookie year. Different position, obviously, but he showed a growing capacity to deal with the NHL game as the season went along. I failed to see that growth in Tage's game as the season went along. It became increasingly difficult for the coaches to find a good spot for him in the line-up. Remember the healthy scratches?
Well Fabbri >Thompson..... no matter how you look at it. He was just a better hockey player at that age.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Tage has great skills but wasn't really ready last year. I question his hockey sense and his maturity, but he should certainly evolve into a 2nd or 3rd line winger. I expect 12-15 goals for him this year in Buffalo and that he will settle in as 20-25 goal scorer in time. He might hit higher once or twice, but I don't see him as 1st liner. Basically he's exactly the kind of young guy you deal to get frontline player like ROR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad