Confirmed with Link: ROR traded to STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
As someone who pretty consistently banged the drum of trading a prospect not named Thomas or Kyrou for help in the top 6, I was thrilled when this trade went down, and I’m still happy about it today. I think the team improved drastically. I was also consistent in saying I would want Thompson to be the one who gets shipped out -opposed to Kostin, let’s say- while I think Thompson can be a useful player, I just don’t think he’s the type of prospect that should prevent a deal for a legit top line player. Him being tall is nice, but he needs to learn to more effectively use that size. He also needs to get much better at using his teammates and not try and stickhandle past people so often. I also don’t see the ability to create opportunities for himself. These are certainly things that can be taught and improved upon, but overall I’ve never really been that high on him from when the Blues drafted him. His shot and size are always going to impress people, but I don’t feel he brings much else.

I’ve long felt his realistic ceiling is going to be a nice top 9 option that hits 20 goals a couple times. Which, while certainly valuable, isn’t anything I’m particularly upset with giving up for a player like ROR.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
As someone who pretty consistently banged the drum of trading a prospect not named Thomas or Kyrou for help in the top 6, I was thrilled when this trade went down, and I’m still happy about it today. I think the team improved drastically. I was also consistent in saying I would want Thompson to be the one who gets shipped out -opposed to Kostin, let’s say- while I think Thompson can be a useful player, I just don’t think he’s the type of prospect that should prevent a deal for a legit top line player. Him being tall is nice, but he needs to learn to more effectively use that size. He also needs to get much better at using his teammates and not try and stickhandle past people so often. I also don’t see the ability to create opportunities for himself. These are certainly things that can be taught and improved upon, but overall I’ve never really been that high on him from when the Blues drafted him. His shot and size are always going to impress people, but I don’t feel he brings much else.

I’ve long felt his realistic ceiling is going to be a nice top 9 option that hits 20 goals a couple times. Which, while certainly valuable, isn’t anything I’m particularly upset with giving up for a player like ROR.
Only thing that hurts is that 1st in 2019. Looks like the draft will be pretty good this year and I don't like shipping out Barmstrong's assets to get a great player. Having said that, essentially Thompson, a 2nd, and a 3rd (I know it's a first and second just follow along) is a great deal for ROR.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Does anyone know if there's video of that sequence where he had those 3 shots in like 10 seconds? Does anyone remember what team it was against? I'd love to see that again.

EDIT: Looks like it was vs. the Sens on Jan. 23rd.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Does anyone know if there's video of that sequence where he had those 3 shots in like 10 seconds? Does anyone remember what team it was against? I'd love to see that again.

EDIT: Looks like it was vs. the Sens on Jan. 23rd.
I thought it was against the redwings.... I do remember absolutely nothing came of it.

We are talking about the time where he was at the top of the left circle and kept getting the puck and letting bombs go?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I still think Tage hits 30 goals once in his career and I still love the trade. Buffalo is one of my favorite non-Blues teams in the NHL and I'll be rooting for him to find chemistry with some of the other young talent on that roster.

But ROR from age 27-32 is a hell of an asset to acquire without giving up Kyrou/Thomas. As high as my hopes are for Tage, I don't think he was ever going to be one of the 5 most important Blues forwards in a deep playoff push. Probably not top 6 or 7 either.

Reactions: thedustman

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Hi friends.

Stopped in to say...Tage Thompson is quite the player. A lot faster than I thought he'd be.

I think a lot of Blues fans soured on him surprisingly quickly and parroted a false narrative that he was incredibly slow. He just looks a bit lumbering because of his size.

To be fair, there's a lot more room on the ice to get up to speed in the preseason and Thompson did look great with the Blues at first and then faded. I mean, if we went by preseason, Kyrou and Blais would be fixtures in the Blues' top 6 this season. But I really do hope Thompson puts it all together and helps Buffalo become good again. I've liked him since before he was drafted.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Hi friends.

Stopped in to say...Tage Thompson is quite the player. A lot faster than I thought he'd be.

I was a big TT fan, but sometimes you have to give to get. We traded from a surplus to gain something we really needed. Ive always loved ROR’s game. If TT was here, where would he play? Have you seen the Blues roster lately? I’m sure he’d find his way on the 3rd or 4th line. Anyway, good luck this season. Ill be rooting for TT and the Sabres. Probably Berglund too. Not a fan of Sobotka anymore. He turned into a puss.

Reactions: Blueston

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I was a big TT fan, but sometimes you have to give to get. We traded from a surplus to gain something we really needed. Ive always loved ROR’s game. If TT was here, where would he play? Have you seen the Blues roster lately? I’m sure he’d find his way on the 3rd or 4th line. Anyway, good luck this season. Ill be rooting for TT and the Sabres. Probably Berglund too. Not a fan of Sobotka anymore. He turned into a puss.

This wasn't to start any debate. I had good dealings with many Blues fans when trade speculation was going on. I probably wouldn't have said anything if it were another team, but you guys were classy.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This wasn't to start any debate. I had good dealings with many Blues fans when trade speculation was going on. I probably wouldn't have said anything if it were another team, but you guys were classy.
It's looking like it will be a good trade that helps both teams fill out their lineups. Tage certainly has potential with his size and skill. Berglund and Sobotka aren't bad players, they're just more needed to fill a role in Buffalo than they were here.

As for the Blues, we have a few forward prospects also playing well right now and they're having to fight for a spot on the team, so I think both teams have definitely improved.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

You’re welcome anytime, I’m glad to see Sabres getting players that are developing into what they are expected to be. Dahlin is gonna be a beast, Skinner with Eichel or Middlestadt is gonna be really fun to watch. Best of luck this year. Tell Botterill if he needs some veteran L shot Dmen, some might be available soon. Got both Canadian and Swedish in stock, recently refurbished.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

No debate here. I’m rooting for TT and the Sabres. We both helped each other out. Win-win imo.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Like a cross between a dumpster fire and a train wreck.

In terms of players;

Maroon ROR Tarasenko
Bozak Parayko

Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Perron Pietrangelo

that bad eh?

Just looking at it...I would stack the top unit a bit more - I'd like Parayko + Tarasenko on the point, ROR could have Schenn and Schwartz on his wings. ROR is probably better suited to be in front of the net than where he's at now. Then you have Bozak center the 2nd Unit with Pietrangelo, Kyrou, Perron, Maroon in front...it's a decent 2nd unit.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I don't care for Parayko on the PP, doesn't move the puck quickly and his howitzer doesn't get thru enough. His reach helps us keep the puck in the zone, but otherwise I don't think he adds much to the unit.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I don't care for Parayko on the PP, doesn't move the puck quickly and his howitzer doesn't get thru enough. His reach helps us keep the puck in the zone, but otherwise I don't think he adds much to the unit.

Agreed. Parayko doesn't get the puck through and on net enough still. Dunn and even Schmaltz are more dangerous from the point IMO. Hopefully, Parayko will still improve his shot placement.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
ROR had twice as many penalty minutes tonight as he had all of last year.
The Yeo effect. Nah, but in all honesty, I love this guy. Already has 4 points and was 87 freaking percent in the faceoff dot tonight. Does everything right, great awareness in the D zone, and is very skilled with the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad