News Article: Rookie Tournament Roster and Discussion

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Matt Murphy got better and better as this went on. I wouldn't mind if they signed him when he finishes junior.

Paul and Perron impressed in their first showing with the Sens. Paul is massive and has a great motor. He didn't get much done offensively but he goes to the net and has shown some flashes of soft hand. He could be a real nice player one day.

Perron is quick and shifty, has a quick release. For one of the youngest players out there, he showed a lot of confidence taking the puck up the ice and taking guys 1 on 1.

As far as disappointments go, I really hope Guptill has more to show. I could barely tell him and Culek apart out there and that is not a good thing for him.

Lindberg either has no hands or no hockey sense, I can't tell yet. The play frequently died on his stick with him just bobbling it, passing it to no one or missing terribly on a shot. I really don't have much good to say about him besides his great skating. It'll be interesting to see how he develops playing this year on North American ice.

Dzingel and McCormick should do great under Luke, he seems to already trust them in many situations.

Harpur is coming along nicely. He played a ton tonight and was very good for the most part. He's not really used to being leaned on like that with such a deep Guelph D but he should be one of the top guys for them this season, I expect him to come to this event next year and turn some heads.

Really good showing from the team without Lazar, Claesson and Puempel. We have some great depth.

I thought both Guptill and Lindberg showed some glimpses last night, which was not the case on Saturday.

Perron is impressive, in particular that the Sens are willing to play him at the point on the power play.

McCormick somehow reminds me of Shawn McEachern.

To me Harpur looks great. Very steadying influence back there, and his skills are reasonable for a 19 year old with his size.

My main thought on Puempel - obviously from the games on Sat and Sun - is that he's really put on some upper body mass. Looks very thick in the chest and shoulders. He's never going to have eye popping puck skills, but a guy who's strong enough to battle for pucks and has that sniper's goal scoring touch will always have a role in the NHL.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lindberg is still very raw. Next year should be telling. Excited for Puempel and Lazar.

We were missing Hogberg, Vikstrand, Englund. That's 3 of our top prospects in their positions.

We have great depth.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think so. Since last year was his first of draft eligibility, he's eligible for one more draft before being a UDFA.

I'm pretty sure you can sign players that were passed over in their draft years whenever you want.

Sergey Tolchinsky was signed by Carolina after being invited to rookie/main camp.

Dane Fox was signed by Vancouver halfway throughout the season.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm pretty sure you can sign players that were passed over in their draft years whenever you want.

Sergey Tolchinsky was signed by Carolina after being invited to rookie/main camp.

Dane Fox was signed by Vancouver halfway throughout the season.

Dangit, I said don't quote me! :rant: :laugh:

Seriously though, this is good to know. Thanks. I guess players only re-enter the draft if nobody shows interest, then?

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Remember Lindberg was drafted out of the new SWE-NA agreement so we have his rights for 4 years. This is year 2, will be interesting to see where he is in years 3 and 4 which is when I'm sure the organization will really evaluate where he's at. He's always been a longer term project no doubt

Overall rookie tourney was awesome in the sense that we all got to watch some Sens hockey again, can't wait for main camp

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Perron is this years Dunn, late round steal, Every year we get a steal except not in 2012.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think so. Since last year was his first of draft eligibility, he's eligible for one more draft before being a UDFA.

I believe we can sign him, as long as we do so before the rookies are released from the tournament. He would recieve a contract and be sent back to junior.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Some unusual invites on the list.

Murphy the only rookie camp invite to come to main camp.

EDIT: Also kind of interesting that they brought Harpur and Paul, but not Dunn, Lindberg or Perron.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Some unusual invites on the list.

Murphy the only rookie camp invite to come to main camp.

EDIT: Also kind of interesting that they brought Harpur and Paul, but not Dunn, Lindberg or Perron.

I thought Murphy played real well in the rookie tournament, I`m not at all surprised he got an invite to camp & maybe a contract if he is lucky & continues to play well. I also thought Harpur played really well in the rookie tournament too, he's going to be a prospect to watch next season if he keeps improving at this pace. I didn`t think Lindberg had a good tournament & Dunn & Perron were only good in the Chicago game. I`m a little surprised to see Danny New still hanging around.

Who is Nick Palmieri from Munich? That McCormick - Dzingel - Thompson line was great in the rookie tournament & if kept together should be a really good line in Bingo. Not sure what will happen in goal for Bingo, I could see Dreidger being sent to Indiana ECHL, he wasn't that good in the two games he played until the shootout where he played well. I wonder who else will play goal for the organization either in Bingo or Indiana? Just noticed Greenham is still around & also invited to camp, I could see him backing up Hammond instead of Dreidger. Might be good for Dreidger to play in Indiana & get lots of playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad