News Article: Rookie Tournament Roster and Discussion

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Its gonna be hilarious when Chris Neil, and Phillips both get beat out in every physical column by every invitee

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Very interested in Palmieri being brought over. Former Devils draft pick, 25 points over 87 NHL games with NJ and MIN. Power forward type with a good shot if he can get some space. Not a particularly good skater but he goes to the dirty areas. Still not sure why he wasn't able to stick with Minny. I believe he's related to Anaheim F Kyle Palmieri.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Matt Murphy got better and better as this went on. I wouldn't mind if they signed him when he finishes junior.

Really glad to hear that. Being from Halifax, I have been curious to hear evaluation s of Murphy from the Development camp ANC the Rookie Tourney. Post 'email if you got 'em.

Was a high ranked prospect two years, getting to play in the Top Prospects Game but has sorta lost his way. Still a solid player with tools, but obviously passed over in the draft.

Really glad to hear positive things and impressed he got an invite to camp.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Hopefully this Perron guy isn't just a flash in the pan. Getting a top 6 guy out of the 7th round would be massive for this team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I guess not bad from such a "mediocre pool"

And in that last game against the Hawks we were missing like 6-7 guys of the top-10 no?

(Edit) not playing : Lazar, Ceci, Stone, Puempel, Pageau, Claesson, Englund, Wikstrand

Only Dzingel and Prince were playing.

Its gonna be hilarious when Chris Neil, and Phillips both get beat out in every physical column by every invitee

Surely not more hilarious than this post...

Last edited:

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Toronto won, 3 way tie for first.

I think Ottawa's win streak is now at 6

I may be wrong here since I did not get to follow the tournament closely this year, but I believe Pittsburgh would be declared the winner based on "ROW" if they had to declare a winner. I think both TO and Ott had 1 ROW each and Pitt had 2. Again, I could be wrong.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Rookie Tournament Observations

1. I thought Ben Harpur was the most impressive prospect at the rookie tournament, not only did he get 4 pts against the leafs, he cleared out the front of the net, he hit, he blocked shots & he made some nice exit passes to start the transition out of the zone.

2. I was also very impressed with the McCormick, Dzingel & Thompson line, Bingo is in for a treat, if Luke decides to keep that line together. They are fast, they are opportunistic, tenacious defensively & they will fight, they seem to have meshed together really well during the tournament.

3 Interesting to see that Matt Murphy got an invite to training camp since I thought he was the 3rd best defenceman on the rookie team & the best of the invitees. Claesson was steady, not flashy, not dominating but steady & good at everything.

4. The weakness in the team I though was the goaltending, especially Dreidger who let in about 7 goals in a game & a half, although he played well in the final game shootout. I think he will likely start the yr in Indiana, in the ECHL & I imagine Green-Eggs-&-Ham (Greenham) will likely be the back up in Bingo to start the yr anyway.

5. I was a little disappointed in Paul, Guptil, Prince, Culek, Dunn & Lazar who I was expecting would all have played better, they were alright but not dominating as some were being advertised they would be. I can't really point to any one thing any of them did badly expect maybe Guptil but he made up for it in game 3, they just didn't make the plays I would have expected them to make or score or dominate in any way. They were okay, no more, no less.

6. Kramer impressed me, not only did he have 3 goals in the tournament, he had 3 fights as well. He played well defensively, he hit, he stood up for teammates, he went to the net & harrassed the goalie. He did whatever was needed to win & wore the C in game 3, not too shabby for an enforcer type player.

7. IMO the best prospects in the tournament for Ottawa were Harpur, Claesson, Murphy, Puempel, McCormick, Dzingel, Thompson, Kramer, Perron who had two nice goals in game 3 & Robinson who was flying around the rink.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I agree with all seven of your points, especially point 2 and about Perron, who I've had a feeling about since the draft. I'm going to be following his season in the Q closely. I have a feeling he's a diamond in the rough.

I thought Lazar and Prince were exactly as advertised. Both used their speed to create chances. That said, one is a sure fire NHLer and the other may never make it.

Paul and Guptil were disappointing but it's early in their development. Both have tools, it's just how bad they want it.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Todays score against NY Islanders???

Anyone hear anything about the 1:30 afternoon split game against the islanders this aft.?? Of course there is also a 6:00 pm game today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad