News Article: Rookie Tournament Roster and Discussion

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Matt Murphy got better and better as this went on. I wouldn't mind if they signed him when he finishes junior.

Paul and Perron impressed in their first showing with the Sens. Paul is massive and has a great motor. He didn't get much done offensively but he goes to the net and has shown some flashes of soft hand. He could be a real nice player one day.

Perron is quick and shifty, has a quick release. For one of the youngest players out there, he showed a lot of confidence taking the puck up the ice and taking guys 1 on 1.

As far as disappointments go, I really hope Guptill has more to show. I could barely tell him and Culek apart out there and that is not a good thing for him.

Lindberg either has no hands or no hockey sense, I can't tell yet. The play frequently died on his stick with him just bobbling it, passing it to no one or missing terribly on a shot. I really don't have much good to say about him besides his great skating. It'll be interesting to see how he develops playing this year on North American ice.

Dzingel and McCormick should do great under Luke, he seems to already trust them in many situations.

Harpur is coming along nicely. He played a ton tonight and was very good for the most part. He's not really used to being leaned on like that with such a deep Guelph D but he should be one of the top guys for them this season, I expect him to come to this event next year and turn some heads.

Really good showing from the team without Lazar, Claesson and Puempel. We have some great depth.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Matt Murphy got better and better as this went on. I wouldn't mind if they signed him when he finishes junior.

Paul and Perron impressed in their first showing with the Sens. Paul is massive and has a great motor. He didn't get much done offensively but he goes to the net and has shown some flashes of soft hand. He could be a real nice player one day.

Perron is quick and shifty, has a quick release. For one of the youngest players out there, he showed a lot of confidence taking the puck up the ice and taking guys 1 on 1.

As far as disappointments go, I really hope Guptill has more to show. I could barely tell him and Culek apart out there and that is not a good thing for him.

Lindberg either has no hands or no hockey sense, I can't tell yet. The play frequently died on his stick with him just bobbling it, passing it to no one or missing terribly on a shot. I really don't have much good to say about him besides his great skating. It'll be interesting to see how he develops playing this year on North American ice.

Dzingel and McCormick should do great under Luke, he seems to already trust them in many situations.

Harpur is coming along nicely. He played a ton tonight and was very good for the most part. He's not really used to being leaned on like that with such a deep Guelph D but he should be one of the top guys for them this season, I expect him to come to this event next year and turn some heads.

Really good showing from the team without Lazar, Claesson and Puempel. We have some great depth.

Wow! My thoughts exactly. :handclap:

Thanks for saving me lots of typing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lindberg either has no hands or no hockey sense, I can't tell yet. The play frequently died on his stick with him just bobbling it, passing it to no one or missing terribly on a shot. I really don't have much good to say about him besides his great skating.

Could some of it be just getting accustomed to North American-sized ice?

I haven't watched any of this rookie tourney yet, so I have no preconceived views on the kid. I'm just asking.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I haven't watched any of this rookie tourney yet, so I have no preconceived views on the kid. I'm just asking.

Absolutely. This is probably one of the most competitive games he's ever been a part of. This is a pretty big step from U20 in Sweden. The maturity of the players here, the skill and the smaller ice are all probably a factor. I won't put a ton of stock into it but I think it's fair to assess him here and see where he's at come next season or mid way through his season with the Generals.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

It can be a lot of things including the possibility that he isn't very good

This is why you make note of what you see in small samples and see if they add up over time

The opposite of what many did when puempel was invisible in these camps in his first couple seasons

And when a player is nervous and uncomfortable I'd say it's fine skills like stick handling that get lost first. If he's still the same player in two years you start thinking no prospect. He came here to dedicate himself to becoming a player, he isn't supposed to be close

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
They just replayed Paul's ot winner on TSN. It looks even better the second time around. Nice little fake to his backhand right and back to his forehand totally fooled the goalie. Lots of hope for this guy. He has all the right tools.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
After watching Paul this tourney, it's fair to say that I think he was the centrepiece of the Spezza trade. That kid can ball.

That Chiasson guy is pretty good.

The Dallas GM Jim Nill said BM asked for the right guys. I don't think he was postering. Ottawa got bigger quickly.

Alex Chiasson 6'4" 205 lbs, 2009 2nd round pick
Nick Paul 6'3" 218 lbs, 2013 4th round pick
Alex Guptill 6'3" 200 lbs, 2010 3rd round pick

Link

Last edited:

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
The Dallas GM Jim Nill said BM asked for the right guys. I don't think he was postering. Ottawa got bigger quickly.

Alex Chiasson 6'4" 205 lbs, 2009 2nd round pick
Nick Paul 6'3" 218 lbs, 2013 4th round pick
Alex Guptill 6'3" 200 lbs, 2010 3rd round pick

Link

I'm surprised Paul is "only" 6'3". He looks so much bigger than everybody else in the highlights I saw.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
All zero of us?

Oh wait... one? One negative post about Lindberg? Two?

I saw the same thing at dev camp in July as well. Great speed, but almost too fast to control the puck at the same time. Hopefully the puck skills improve, but from these summer showings, he looked out of control at top speed.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I saw the same thing at dev camp in July as well. Great speed, but almost too fast to control the puck at the same time. Hopefully the puck skills improve, but from these summer showings, he looked out of control at top speed.

Even still, this is hardly a "negative post".

"Prospect has work to do before becoming an NHL player". Not exactly throwing a guy under the bus.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00