HF Habs: Rookie tournament 2019 (9-5 to 9-10)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think they will have at least 3 of our top prospect that will succeed, but to think that our 7 best prospect will all pan out is dreaming.

I wouldn't expect their top 7 to all pan out, but I have the top 6 in one tier. Out of that 6, one is a goalie so anything could really go on there, leaving 5. Out of the 5 I view Poehling and Romanov to be on the overrated side by the board because of the WJC's and the one NHL game. So for me it's 3 guys with very high upside in Brook, Caufield and Suzuki with 2 of them having quesitons/concerns on the physical end of things in terms of height, strength, not having that extra gear for players that aren't big.

Then you have Poehling and Romanov who for me it's just more a question of how much offensive upside do they have, so to me they are very safe bets to play in the NHL but how good will they be? Outside of injuries or if Romanov somehow never comes over, which I doubt happens but outside of that I don't see how the two of them aren't NHLers at some point as they have the physical tools you want of skating, speed, size, strength.

So for me the question for the Habs future is,

1. What do they have in Primeau and how do they get the most of out it down the road.

2. What is the offensive upside of Poehling and Romanov, that will have a huge impact on how good they end up and wherever that is will be huge as we need both to be as good as possible but just have to wait and see if one, both or none can reach their top end or higher in time.

3. Just how good is Josh Brook? To me he was a 1st round talent from when I first saw him, I don't see a lot of holes in his game but we need to see how he adjusts to the pro game and how much can he continue to improve over the next few years as with most prospects it's all about them continuing to improve or if they have peaked at 18, 19, 20, etc..

4. The "big" 2. They may not be the tallest guys but Caufield and Suzuki mean so much to our future. Both have such high end offensive skills, we so badly need these guys to reach their ceilings or get as close as possible. But until they prove otherwise, there will be doubts about them due to lack of height and strength. If the Habs end up getting only 1 to be a high end player that still will be huge, especially if the other can at least turn into something decent. If both hit on the high end though, yikes will that be massive for us.

5. I've been ranking Hab prospects for around 20 years and one thing I know to be 100% fact, guys in you rank in your top 10 will bust and guys you have in outside that top 10 will end up being the NHLers that were at the time overlooked or something about their game had too much thought into a shortcoming that maybe wasn't as bad as thought or they just improved year over year or took a big step in their progression.

So it's always about who is ranked in the 2nd half of the top 20 that will end up as the surprise. Hillis, Evans, Stapley, Olofsson, etc.. someone that is not in favor or seen as having a legit shot and one or two of them end up being much more then one or many thought/expected.

6. Lastly the Habs also have a very strong 2nd tier and that could be huge for the future as well in terms of helping the Habs or as assets to trade down the road. Ylonen, Struble, Harris, Fleury, Norlinder perhaps. That is a really solid 2nd tier. So who among them moves into the top tier or should be there already. Ylonen certainly has the offensive skills, Struble is a total wild card that the Habs clearly are very high on and Harris doesn't have the size/strength but he plays such an impressive game that if he continues to improve it's going to be very interesting to see just how good he can be.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I wouldn't expect their top 7 to all pan out, but I have the top 6 in one tier. Out of that 6, one is a goalie so anything could really go on there, leaving 5. Out of the 5 I view Poehling and Romanov to be on the overrated side by the board because of the WJC's and the one NHL game. So for me it's 3 guys with very high upside in Brook, Caufield and Suzuki with 2 of them having quesitons/concerns on the physical end of things in terms of height, strength, not having that extra gear for players that aren't big.

Then you have Poehling and Romanov who for me it's just more a question of how much offensive upside do they have, so to me they are very safe bets to play in the NHL but how good will they be? Outside of injuries or if Romanov somehow never comes over, which I doubt happens but outside of that I don't see how the two of them aren't NHLers at some point as they have the physical tools you want of skating, speed, size, strength.

So for me the question for the Habs future is,

1. What do they have in Primeau and how do they get the most of out it down the road.

2. What is the offensive upside of Poehling and Romanov, that will have a huge impact on how good they end up and wherever that is will be huge as we need both to be as good as possible but just have to wait and see if one, both or none can reach their top end or higher in time.

3. Just how good is Josh Brook? To me he was a 1st round talent from when I first saw him, I don't see a lot of holes in his game but we need to see how he adjusts to the pro game and how much can he continue to improve over the next few years as with most prospects it's all about them continuing to improve or if they have peaked at 18, 19, 20, etc..

4. The "big" 2. They may not be the tallest guys but Caufield and Suzuki mean so much to our future. Both have such high end offensive skills, we so badly need these guys to reach their ceilings or get as close as possible. But until they prove otherwise, there will be doubts about them due to lack of height and strength. If the Habs end up getting only 1 to be a high end player that still will be huge, especially if the other can at least turn into something decent. If both hit on the high end though, yikes will that be massive for us.

5. I've been ranking Hab prospects for around 20 years and one thing I know to be 100% fact, guys in you rank in your top 10 will bust and guys you have in outside that top 10 will end up being the NHLers that were at the time overlooked or something about their game had too much thought into a shortcoming that maybe wasn't as bad as thought or they just improved year over year or took a big step in their progression.

So it's always about who is ranked in the 2nd half of the top 20 that will end up as the surprise. Hillis, Evans, Stapley, Olofsson, etc.. someone that is not in favor or seen as having a legit shot and one or two of them end up being much more then one or many thought/expected.

6. Lastly the Habs also have a very strong 2nd tier and that could be huge for the future as well in terms of helping the Habs or as assets to trade down the road. Ylonen, Struble, Harris, Fleury, Norlinder perhaps. That is a really solid 2nd tier. So who among them moves into the top tier or should be there already. Ylonen certainly has the offensive skills, Struble is a total wild card that the Habs clearly are very high on and Harris doesn't have the size/strength but he plays such an impressive game that if he continues to improve it's going to be very interesting to see just how good he can be.

I couldn’t say better ! Great post, I totally agree with that

Reactions: montreal

Habs Fan 13

Jan 16, 2007
Still no news about if this is televised? Unbelievable. What are they waiting for?
I was asking myself the same thing, so I looked at the RDS schedule and nothing about the rookie tournament next Saturday and Sunday. I was pretty surprised, I was sure it would be televised since all games were last year. However, I then remembered last year's tournament was in Laval, so easier for RDS to televise it I guess. I still hope it will be available somehow because I really want to check it.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I was asking myself the same thing, so I looked at the RDS schedule and nothing about the rookie tournament next Saturday and Sunday. I was pretty surprised, I was sure it would be televised since all games were last year. However, I then remembered last year's tournament was in Laval, so easier for RDS to televise it I guess. I still hope it will be available somehow because I really want to check it.
Well they do need to show darts or rerun sportsdesk over and over. You know, the things the fans truly want.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I had no idea which thread to post this is, but since this one is about the rookies I thought it could be appropriate.

Does anyone else notice how much the Habs prospects all seem to hang out/like each other? KK has a story on Instagram today where he's driving in a truck with Poehling, Suzuki, and Brook, and Poehling has had stories all summer hanging out at the Formula One races with KK and Mete, and with Brook and a Rocket player or two on separate occasions.

Is this just an instance of the rise of social media and there's more exposure? Or does this group of upcoming guys seem to be tighter than usual?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I had no idea which thread to post this is, but since this one is about the rookies I thought it could be appropriate.

Does anyone else notice how much the Habs prospects all seem to hang out/like each other? KK has a story on Instagram today where he's driving in a truck with Poehling, Suzuki, and Brook, and Poehling has had stories all summer hanging out at the Formula One races with KK and Mete, and with Brook and a Rocket player or two on separate occasions.

Is this just an instance of the rise of social media and there's more exposure? Or does this group of upcoming guys seem to be tighter than usual?
am i wierd if i watched that story like 10 times in a row? Still can't believe Montreal actually went for being patient and is building a young team instead of trying to bandaid a roster to stay mediocre! LET'S GO! October can't come any faster!

Reactions: McTusk

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

No, you're not crazy lol, they are unusually tight, its such a welcome too

i blame kotka and poehling, they seem to really "get it" , there's a handful of special talent right now and even theyre aware

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Should be fun to watch those kids grow up together, cant wait for training camp to start

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you in on some good news.

I was able to get confirmation today that RDS.ca will be webcasting both of the Habs' prospects games on Saturday and Sunday. Still unsure about TV coverage, but definitely will be on the website.

Doesn't sound like the two WPG-OTT games will be shown, however.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you in on some good news.

I was able to get confirmation today that RDS.ca will be webcasting both of the Habs' prospects games on Saturday and Sunday. Still unsure about TV coverage, but definitely will be on the website.

Doesn't sound like the two WPG-OTT games will be shown, however.

Thanks for the info! Very happy that we'll get to watch these in some form. Now just to get the official announcement by RDS/Laval/Habs.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

Let's hope. Also possible the development coaches are creating opportunities for them to mesh.

What a thing of beauty. Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Brook, and Suzuki!

I am guessing their sitter is sitting in the back driver's side. That or Suzuki and Brook are super friendly.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Should be fun to watch those kids grow up together, cant wait for training camp to start
This is also what is good about having the AHL team in Laval. They can still hang out even if they are not on the same team if they choose to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad