HF Habs: Rookie tournament 2019 (9-5 to 9-10)

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Never saw the NHL upside in Fonstad despite the strong DY numbers, wasn't playing at a high pace enough for my liking for a player his size, and got dominated, especially physically at the U18; kind of player you project him to be not good enough for a top6 since his skills aren't high-end enough, and wouldn't fit bottom6 since his defensive game his limited. Great junior player though. But at this point, I am not sure anymore if he can carve himself as a point producing AHLer, I doubt is game will translate well. You see those type of players with similar development trajectory every year.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Loved Hawel during dev. camp. Was more quiet during rookie camp. Got an invite because of his combination of size and speed. And that's all fine with me. Never thought this kid deserved to be picked...but an inviation? Why not.

He's the first player Timmins mentioned when he was interviewed on 690 about the rookie tournament:

"We have a tryout player by the name of Hawel who impressed us -- 6'4, 190 lbs. Really had a good summer of training. He was drafted by the Dallas Stars, he wasn't signed and he came to us. He impressed in the two games."

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-6...igger-faster-and-stronger-this-year-1.1362784

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And if Hillis can't stay healthy, you have to think that if letting Tyszka go was a health issue....maybe we'll see the same thing with Hillis. Kid had his share of injuries already.

he re-injured his collar bone, so while I know once you break it and each time after it becomes easier to break, it's not the same as Tyszka who clearly had a major concussion since he was out so long. So it would likely be a different situation there, plus I still think a big part of him not being signed had to do with fighting his first game back, even if they didn't tell him not to do it, it shows a lack of common sense.

I would think the bigger issue if Hillis can't stay healthy depending on what injuries, would be missing too much time he might not be able to show what he can do since last year was just about a write off year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think we'll probably end up with a stone cold zero from all of Olofsson, Fonstad, McShane, and Hillis. Maybe one of them changes course.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Never saw the NHL upside in Fonstad despite the strong DY numbers, wasn't playing at a high pace enough for my liking for a player his size, and got dominated, especially physically at the U18; kind of player you project him to be not good enough for a top6 since his skills aren't high-end enough, and wouldn't fit bottom6 since his defensive game his limited. Great junior player though. But at this point, I am not sure anymore if he can carve himself as a point producing AHLer, I doubt is game will translate well. You see those type of players with similar development trajectory every year.

That's what I think so far. Somehow though, while I'M not alone in that analysis, I'm the only one being bashed for it....lol. Yet, everybody could always surprise us. If he has a stunning year and suddenly plays a more complete game and bulk up during the year.....everything can happen. I'm just not betting on it. I just believe the numbers game doesn't help him at all. Maybe quite a few other teams would offer him a contract. I have no doubt that if he isn't signed, another team will surley invite him and maybe offer him a AHL contract at the very least. We probably could even do that ourselves....but we won't even have the room for that. Anyway, we will see.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
With the Habs sitting at 48 contracts, unless they ship some contracts out and not take any in return, I think that if Hawel is indeed signed, it would be an AHL deal. I'd be surprised if he comes out of this on an ELC.

Unfortunately Struthers was injured and missed the rookie camp, but I feel the same way about him. He wasn't cut yesterday when they sent most of the invites back to their Junior teams. But he's also not listed on the Habs main camp roster. So my guess is he will take part in Laval's camp later this month if he's healthy. And he, too, I believe if he ends up signed, it would be an AHL deal.

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind that one bit. I like both Hawel and Struthers. Would be happy to see them in Laval.

Same here. Yeah, that smells AHL contracts for sure. Not sure why we don't hear about Struthers at all.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I have never been a Fonstad fan as his tools are very underwhelming and don't project well to the pro game.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think we'll probably end up with a stone cold zero from all of Olofsson, Fonstad, McShane, and Hillis. Maybe one of them changes course.

If that is the case then that is fine as we still have what is shaping up as an impressive haul with Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Ylonen and Harris from the 2018 draft. This draft already looks like a great success and we can't write off Hillis, Olofsson or McShane yet. Even Gorniak has a shot with his wheels....

Reactions: NotProkofievian

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Fonstad was the right kind of gamble at the point of the draft he was picked. Nice offensive production , questions about strenght and translation of his game to higher levels.

Hes likely not going to pan out with hindsight but give me this kind of prospect every time in the 5th round.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I was okay with pretty much all of them on draft day if I'm 100% honest. I could genuinely see upside in all 4 . Hillis I was downright giddy about. It goes to show you I guess.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Fonstad was the right kind of gamble at the point of the draft he was picked. Nice offensive production , questions about strenght and translation of his game to higher levels.

Hes likely not going to pan out with hindsight but give me this kind of prospect every time in the 5th round.

Totally agree.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I still like all the picks. Well actually I am very upset we didn't pick Hallander instead of Olofsson, but those other 3 guys I loved.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If that is the case then that is fine as we still have what is shaping up as an impressive haul with Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Ylonen and Harris from the 2018 draft. This draft already looks like a great success and we can't write off Hillis, Olofsson or McShane yet. Even Gorniak has a shot with his wheels....

Indeed, you can't win 'em all. I'm quite happy with the way Romanov and Harris have done. Romanov in particular has done better than anyone else I had on my list at that point. Quite a pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was okay with pretty much all of them on draft day if I'm 100% honest. I could genuinely see upside in all 4 . Hillis I was downright giddy about. It goes to show you I guess.

I'd be much happier if instead of Houde they took Emilio Pettersen, who I was impressed with at Denver. But there are several picked after Houde that I would have preferred, Hrenak, Saigeon, Kruse, Blade Jenkins, Zhuravlyov.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd be much happier if instead of Houde they took Emilio Pettersen, who I was impressed with at Denver. But there are several picked after Houde that I would have preferred, Hrenak, Saigeon, Kruse, Blade Jenkins, Zhuravlyov.
I was only talking about the 4 guys mentioned in that specific post, Houle I wasn't crazy about either . Pettersen I was pretty high on too, I saw quite a bit of that denver team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad